Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those who trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 AM
jackson01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those who trailer

Those of you who trailer your car to events-did you have any issues with loading your car on the trailer due to lowering? I am considering purchasing a trailer but was concerned with being able to load it. Do you have extra long ramps? Is the rear of the trailer low to the ground? What should I look for when considering purchasing a trailer? Thanks in advance for the help. This forum is definitely A-1 when it comes to people helping people.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:36 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have extra long ramps I made. I bought the metal ends from Harbor Freight or one of those companies, can't remember who. I got two 2"x12"x12' boards and two 8' long metal angle iron pieces from Home Depot. Attach the ends, put the angle iron on the bottom of the boards, and viola, ramps. They work great and they were cheap, but they are not fancy. I think everything cost about $60 or $70.

You must have long ramps to load the car or it will drag on the bottom in the middle.

Dog
Old 09-19-2006, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson01
Those of you who trailer your car to events-did you have any issues with loading your car on the trailer due to lowering? I am considering purchasing a trailer but was concerned with being able to load it. Do you have extra long ramps? Is the rear of the trailer low to the ground? What should I look for when considering purchasing a trailer? Thanks in advance for the help. This forum is definitely A-1 when it comes to people helping people.

A few things. YOu may find that you may need to raise your car back up to within 1/2 in normal ride height for better suppension travel and car stabilty. at first it is difficult as the car looks too high. Soon enough you will find the car handles far better close to stock ride height.

On the tailer issue YES, haveing extra long ramps does help, plus lifting the tought of the trailer a little heigher.

There are trailers that sitt lower to the groud then others, so look for something like that.

Are you looking for an open or enclosed trailer??

Here is mine with 5 foot alumium ramp extension added to the drop down door.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:48 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I've got a 28' with just your standard tail ramp on it and mine works fine. It's a bit lower than stock, but the trailer sits higher than most. If you have ground effects on yours, then you'll most likely need extension ramps, but other than that, I doubt you'll have any issues.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson01
www.pitpals.com. If your considering a Enclosed Trailer,consider a left side door, over the trailer wheel wells, making access in and out of car much easier.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

When I had my open trailer, I would also put the rear wheels of the truck on some home-made ramps. That will push the back of the trailer a little lower to the deck and make loading a little easier.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:01 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

I made my front ground effects removable with 1/4 turn thumb latches, and jack the front of the trailer all the way up when loading/unloading.
Don't use them but longer ramps would help.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:19 PM
gpm30236
Racer

Use ramp extensions, aluminium along with thicker bumpers for the doors. A really helpful thing is a winch and the folding tow hooks from Phoenix. They really came in helpful when i blew the engine earlier this year.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:01 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use a Sloan Kwik-Load and you'll not have any problems.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:32 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have an open trailer. To ensure the corvette would load I found one where the last 3 feet or so slopes down (I think this is called a "bobtail"). Loading the car is no problem.

My alignment shop recently slightly lowered the car to allow for a more aggressive alignment. After this I discovered the door would no longer open over the trailer fenders. I posted the situation here and got two recommendations:

1) Several folks said they simply attached 2X12's on the left side of the trail (in the tire tracks) to raise the car on that side.

2) Several others indicated the purchased or fabricated a removable left side trailer fender so they could take it off to load/unload and put it on to transport.

I decided to try the easy route first (2X12). I just attached it to the trailer this last weekend and will load the car for the first time this Friday. We'll see how it goes.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have an open trailer. To ensure the corvette would load I found one where the last 3 feet or so slopes down (I think this is called a "bobtail"). Loading the car is no problem.

My alignment shop recently slightly lowered the car to allow for a more aggressive alignment. After this I discovered the door would no longer open over the trailer fenders. I posted the situation here and got two recommendations:

1) Several folks said they simply attached 2X12's on the left side of the trail (in the tire tracks) to raise the car on that side.

2) Several others indicated the purchased or fabricated a removable left side trailer fender so they could take it off to load/unload and put it on to transport.

I decided to try the easy route first (2X12). I just attached it to the trailer this last weekend and will load the car for the first time this Friday. We'll see how it goes.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 09-20-2006, 07:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Pitproducts.com also makes trailer accessories.

Look for a trailer with a 'beaver tail.' Slopping back end of the trailer deck.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Here is what I got........Hydraulic tilt bed........from http://www.ssitrailers.com/default.html
18' with a 4' dovetail.
What every you get, make sure the DS fender is removeable......
Our C5s are lowere and I put a 2 x 12 3' long on each side so the front ground effects dont get crunched.

More info in my previous thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1477744
Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 131 Posts

I ended up having to both buy ramps and change the trailer fender to removeable. I bought my 7'10" long by 14" wide aluminum ramps here:

http://www.discountramps.com/auto_ramps.htm

The wider than standard ramp gives a little more room lining up the car.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:08 PM
vettmike
Burning Brakes

When you shop for a trailer make sure you can open the driver's door after the car is loaded.

I have a 22.5 foot enclosed trailer for sale, it has the side openning door for the drivers door, the car, lowered C-4, clears by several inches. Don't buy any trailer you cannot load your car.

vettmike
Old 09-20-2006, 01:18 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm surprised you haven't sold yours yet Mike. I would have thought it would be gone by now. It's a very nice set up.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for those who trailer

Quick Reply: Question for those who trailer