Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 track wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 track wheels?

What are you guys using for track wheels on C6 coupes?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Most ppl are useing 18" all around.

CCW Motorsports are very popular.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm using 18's all the way around. I used the stock painted fronts and bought C5Z06 style wheels for the rear in 12" width.

I just bought a set of Hoosiers though and will be using the stock 19s on this set of tires.

I will evaluate both setups. If you go with CCw's you will probably want 18's all around with 11" wides up front and 13" wide in the rear and use GY race slicks. CCW will set you up on the slicks.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:00 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. John@CCW has me looking at 18x10+18x11 with Toyos or Kumhos for the track... I'd be worried about 18x13 smashing my fenders on a C6 non-Z...
Old 09-21-2006, 01:35 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Wow. John@CCW has me looking at 18x10+18x11 with Toyos or Kumhos for the track... I'd be worried about 18x13 smashing my fenders on a C6 non-Z...
The 18X11 F and 18X13 R is for C6Z06. 18X10F 18X11 R is about as big as you can get on a stock bodied standard C6.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Go with the Kumhos, you wont regret it. The Toyos on the other hand
Old 09-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

You guys have any issues using wheels without tire pressure monitors installed?

Edit: Would c5 z06 rears work all the way around? 18x10.5?

Last edited by Oyishdog; 09-21-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:08 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
You guys have any issues using wheels without tire pressure monitors installed?

Edit: Would c5 z06 rears work all the way around? 18x10.5?
I use those wheels on mine and they work well as long as the car is not lowered. What build date is the C6 in question? I run mine without TPMs and the car does fine. I do bring the stock wheels with me to the track so the car "sees" the sensors whenever I'm in the pits. Early builds will allow you to turn off AH/TC even if the computer sees there are no sensors. Cars built after Jan or Feb 2005, according to other forum members, will NOT allow you to turn off the nannies if the car doesn't see the sensors.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
I use those wheels on mine and they work well as long as the car is not lowered. What build date is the C6 in question? I run mine without TPMs and the car does fine. I do bring the stock wheels with me to the track so the car "sees" the sensors whenever I'm in the pits. Early builds will allow you to turn off AH/TC even if the computer sees there are no sensors. Cars built after Jan or Feb 2005, according to other forum members, will NOT allow you to turn off the nannies if the car doesn't see the sensors.
Interesting...the car is a 2007, so I guess the lack of sensors would cause issues...why o why did they design the system that way!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I change my Z51 rotors to C5 units (using C5 caliper mounts) and run C5 wagon wheels, using the 555RII tires I bought from you! Rears stick out a bit but its not a problem. I also trailer my track tires up and keep my street tires in my pit and I've never had any active handling problems. Another member on the board has made a pressure can with spare sensors and he hasn't had problems. Have to buy a tool to program the sensors to the car if you go that route though.

My buddy uses stock Z06 wheels and 555's, his fronts rub a bit at full lock. Not bad, would be worse if he had DRM ducts.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Good to see those tires in use!

OK here is the deal. I am very close to pulling the trigger on trading my car in on a new 07 c6 z51 coupe. I have one worry - the tire pressure system causing issues for track wheels. Is this going to be a huge issue??
Old 09-22-2006, 03:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I have one worry - the tire pressure system causing issues for track wheels. Is this going to be a huge issue??
I think most guys just hit the rest button like we do in the C5 coupes when the Message comes up on the display.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I think most guys just hit the rest button like we do in the C5 coupes when the Message comes up on the display.
I assume that occurs when not running sensors in the wheels?

So there is no downside? I have read so much on the issue, but no clear answers. Some appear to have issues turning off a/h, some dont...some 2005 cars are ok, some are not. etc etc
Old 09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have not had any issues at all. Comp mode, no AH, full AH, no problem. I don't even get a message on the DIC, it will read my last pressure in my street tires. But I trailer up my track tires and park next to them in the pits, can't say what will happen if you dont.

There was a lot of discussion on this earlier, I think in the C6 Tech section, you might want to search the archives. Member Breezye also is the king of the pressure sensors & the tool you need to buy to marry them to your car, might want to look at his posts or PM him.

By the way, you'll want to buy base C6 (same as C5) brake caliper abutments from Fred Beans for $35 ea. so you can run C5 rotors front and rear. Z51 rotors are expensive, and I'm sure going to crack with those holes.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
.......Member Breezye also is the king of the pressure sensors & the tool you need to buy to marry them to your car, might want to look at his posts or PM him....
Uh-oh, Joe - you're saddling me with a title I can't live up to!!!

All I know is what I learned trying to solve my own problems with 2 sets of tires/wheels, both with sensors.

My only experience NOT running sensors was when I took a 1,000 mile trip. I had just gotten my new tires and wheels and swapped the rears without having a tire sensor reset tool and not getting any help from my local dealers. The only problem I encountered was all the nuisance DIC alerts and messages I got everytime I shut down and restarted the car. I could clear them, at least for the first approximately 60 minutes. If you drive about 60 minutes without the TPMS detecting any sensors you get some more severe warnings, but it still is only a nuisance except that apparently some owners can't turn off AH and TC, and that if AH is off when you get some of these warnings, AH may come back on - something most track drivers don't want.

I have been learning about the tire sensor reset tools that the C6 requires to "register" the sensors when you swap wheels. Here's a link to a thread with some videos I made of 3 of the different tools on the market:

Tire Sensor Reset Tool Thread

Bob
Old 09-22-2006, 07:14 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

I assume that occurs when not running sensors in the wheels?

So there is no downside? I have read so much on the issue, but no clear answers. Some appear to have issues turning off a/h, some dont...some 2005 cars are ok, some are not. etc etc
I think as long as you bring the stockers with you a typical DE session is not long enough to make the computer fuss at you.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by beezeye
Uh-oh, Joe - you're saddling me with a title I can't live up to!!!

All I know is what I learned trying to solve my own problems with 2 sets of tires/wheels, both with sensors.

My only experience NOT running sensors was when I took a 1,000 mile trip. I had just gotten my new tires and wheels and swapped the rears without having a tire sensor reset tool and not getting any help from my local dealers. The only problem I encountered was all the nuisance DIC alerts and messages I got everytime I shut down and restarted the car. I could clear them, at least for the first approximately 60 minutes. If you drive about 60 minutes without the TPMS detecting any sensors you get some more severe warnings, but it still is only a nuisance except that apparently some owners can't turn off AH and TC, and that if AH is off when you get some of these warnings, AH may come back on - something most track drivers don't want.

I have been learning about the tire sensor reset tools that the C6 requires to "register" the sensors when you swap wheels. Here's a link to a thread with some videos I made of 3 of the different tools on the market:

Tire Sensor Reset Tool Thread

Bob
Good info...but can you clarify a little further with the 60 min thing. Is that 60 mins of running the car total (ie does not matter how many times the car is restarted) or is that 60 mins per each sessions of running the car (ie start the car, then have 60 mins...turn off, back on, 60 more mins).

I would only be running no sensors at the track...street use would have sensors.

I just got back from the dealer...this is the only thing "on my mind" before i finalize my "yes" and head out to the garage to pull of my oil cooler and other aftermarket parts off my z.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 track wheels?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
I think as long as you bring the stockers with you a typical DE session is not long enough to make the computer fuss at you.
OK...not sure how that helps if they are not on the car...am i missing something?

THanks everyone for your input, its much appreciated
Old 09-22-2006, 08:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It costs around $200 for a set of sensors, and another $200 to $400 for a tool to reset them, but it's always an option to just run sensors.

Click the link below to see a picture of forum member AZ Fastest's CCW Corsairs with GY racing slicks. The valve stem you see is a stock sensor.

Bob

Click here for a picture of AZ Fastest's tires/wheels with sensors
Old 09-22-2006, 09:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

OK...not sure how that helps if they are not on the car...am i missing something?

THanks everyone for your input, its much appreciated
First - If you have no sensors, the 60 minute thing is (best I can remember from my road trip) on one engine start. After you start up the car and clear the initial DIC alerts, if you drive for one hour straight you'll get a message something like "Service TPMS" and "Limit Speed to 55mph". Some people think that there is something that actually limits your speed to 55, but that is not the case - it's just an alert, and you can go as fast as you want. So, if you are doing track sessions with less than 60 minutes of solid time on the track with no pit stops where you shut down the engine, then you won't see the "Service TPMS" alert.

Second - If you have your street tires in the pits, the TPMS will pick up a transmission from the sensors in those tires when you come into the pits. Before I got a tire sensor reset tool, I had my old wheels/tires in the garage about 20 or 30 feet away from the car, and every time I parked in the garage the TPMS picked up the sensors in the tires that weren't even mounted on the car because those were the sensors that were "registered" with the TPMS computer.

Now that I have a tool, when I swap wheels/tires it just takes about 90 seconds to put the TPMS into the "learn" mode and "register" the newly mounted sensors.

Bob

BTW, the C6 is a very neat car!!! Don't let this fairly minor thing keep you from getting one. You'll LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: C6 track wheels?