Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchargers and Roadracing?

Old 09-20-2006, 06:04 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Superchargers and Roadracing?

Does anybody ever take a supercharged car to the track for track days? Not everyweekend but for the occasional few laps??
Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GOTHAM VETTE
Does anybody ever take a supercharged car to the track for track days? Not everyweekend but for the occasional few laps??
the few that I have seen at a track, a few laps is all they last. Heat issues or over heating issues were consistant problems.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Location: Rude, Loud and Aggressive! ECS Twisted Racing, "How fast do ya wanna go?"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
the few that I have seen at a track, a few laps is all they last. Heat issues or over heating issues were consistant problems.
Not a good idea for the track.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

You can PM member Frank Dupuy he has been on many track days with his SC C5. Now he has a 402 as well. He should be joining me at Button Willow on Sept. 30.

DH
Old 09-21-2006, 10:48 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

To much heat for lap after lap.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:02 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This poses the question I've had on my mind for some time now: It is well understood by the rumor mongers that the new SS/Blue Devil will be supercharged 650hp+. It is also clearly the direction of the Corvette to be a great track car. How will these two philosophies work together?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by robvuk
This poses the question I've had on my mind for some time now: It is well understood by the rumor mongers that the new SS/Blue Devil will be supercharged 650hp+. It is also clearly the direction of the Corvette to be a great track car. How will these two philosophies work together?

625 hp and a differnt type of supper charger, much smaller then ppl think, along with specal heads and cam too allow quicker accelations.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do the Ford GT's handle the heat issue or do they?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:35 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
How do the Ford GT's handle the heat issue or do they?
Need a bigger oil and trans coolers too. Good Friend of mine just bought a Ford GT, hope too see it on the track soon.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

It can't be done!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1472317
Old 09-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike69

Did you mean it CAN be done?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:13 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Stage7
Did you mean it CAN be done?

It was meant to be sarcastic!

There are allot of folks with Chargers and Turbos who track their cars. Some regularly, some occasionally. It really depends on how the car is set up. But, a lot of people will tell you that you that it can't be done.

I would never say that a charger is the ideal track set up, but, depending on how they are set up, they can a hell of allot of fun on the track! Just like any other car, it depends on the set up.

When ever you select your mods, be sure you take into account how you want to drive the car & you'll be fine
Old 09-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I wouldn't say that it can't be done, it's just that FI opens up a lot of issues that you have to deal with, heat being #1 on the list, that I wouldn't want to deal with and don't think are worth it.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:32 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Not that I have much experiance with forced induction but typically the supercharger kits are designed to run with the stock 10.5 to 1 compression which makes good power but for track days it tends to run hot especially at a track like Road America which has 3 straitaways over 1/2 mile. A 20 or 30 minute session at a track like that will run pretty hot. So you could run a supercharged car at the track put you would probably want to drop the compression ratio, which in most cases means tearing the engine down, so if you going to do that anyway you may as well add some cubes, which seems to work pretty well for the C5R's and C6R's.
I'm sure it can be done, I just don't think it would be ideal. But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

I used superchargers at the track on 100 degree plus days without incident. I upgraded the radiator though to a multi row unit with a fin count of 14+. I ran the car at Buttonwillow for an hour without incident with a blower set at 9 lbs...

Steve
Old 09-21-2006, 10:09 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

KISS = Keep it Simple, Stupid. It can be done, but it won't be nearly as reliable as a naturally aspirated car.

I know too well what it's like to have to have to put the car on the trailer early. I'd rather avoid that situation if at all possible and adding the complexity of a Supercharger or Turbo doesn't help.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:00 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Simple question - why?

You can get lots of reliable track ready power easily from just about any vette, C4-C6 for what you'd pay to add a supercharger.

If you're looking for a LOT of power, you'd have to spend a LOT of money to make the rest of the motor and cooling system ready to handle it.

If you're simply looking for cheap (relatively speaking) power for the street that you can occasionally take to the track I suppose it's a viable option, but I'm not sold on it.

Cars that were designed with a turbo / SC in mind have a decent chance to survive (Ford GT, 911T, etc), but adding one to a NA car is potential trouble.

Get notified of new replies

To Superchargers and Roadracing?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Oddly enough, the object of racing is not going as fast as you and the car can go for X laps or time... it is crossing the finish line going as slowly as possible while staying in front of all other competitors.

For any car to finish it must be reliable lap after lap after lap. The divers skill also needs to be consistant lap after lap.

This is the same for Track days. The ppl who what to go fast are the newbies. Experience drivers want to work on consistance or something a little on this corner or that corner. Experience drivers work on their performance not how fast they go.

The product of the expericne driver is the do lower and lower lap times. The product of a person who want to go faster and faster is working on there car in the paddock while all others are out doing laps.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Simple question - why?

You can get lots of reliable track ready power easily from just about any vette, C4-C6 for what you'd pay to add a supercharger.

If you're looking for a LOT of power, you'd have to spend a LOT of money to make the rest of the motor and cooling system ready to handle it.

If you're simply looking for cheap (relatively speaking) power for the street that you can occasionally take to the track I suppose it's a viable option, but I'm not sold on it.

Cars that were designed with a turbo / SC in mind have a decent chance to survive (Ford GT, 911T, etc), but adding one to a NA car is potential trouble.
I'm sure a Ford GT would be just fine, and a 911TT is obviously proven, but I just witnessed a 911 Carerra NA with aftermarket supercharger overheat BADLY (smoke plume following him) at Road Atlanta recently. They are simply too inefficient unless the car is designed for SC.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Location: Rude, Loud and Aggressive! ECS Twisted Racing, "How fast do ya wanna go?"

Originally Posted by BoostManiac
I'm sure a Ford GT would be just fine, and a 911TT is obviously proven, but I just witnessed a 911 Carerra NA with aftermarket supercharger overheat BADLY (smoke plume following him) at Road Atlanta recently. They are simply too inefficient unless the car is designed for SC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Superchargers and Roadracing?