Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little help C6 running a little hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a little help C6 running a little hot

Has anyone tried running 40 bellow or water wetter to cool the car down more than the factory coolant.

If so how did you mix it and what effect did it have.

This weekend I am going to install a 160 degree thermostat so I will be draining some of the coolant anyway so this would be a good time to make any changes. Another question is can it be mixed with the standard coolant in the car. During the install I will only take out about 3 gallons of the origianl fluid.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

If you're running hot a 160 degree t'stat isn't going to help matters. The t'stat sets the minimum temperature the engine will be running steady-state. If the temp goes above the t'stat set point, and the t'stat is fully open, the temp will continue to climb until the fans come on (or something else happens to get air flowing through the radiator).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-21-2006, 06:14 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of temps are you seeing? The LSx engines seem to run hot, maybe hotter than you think is correct. I'm far from an expert, and just a noob in HPDEs but...

A thermostat will not make much of a difference. It may start you off a little cooler, but you are not getting rid of any additional heat with it, so you'll go up in temp just as fast as before. It may buy a few minutes at the beginning of the day, but during a hot summer day it will not help that much... Think about it, once you get past 180 the thermostat is fully open, and can't do anything more... I put one in my C5 and around town it stays a little cooler for a little longer, but on the track its next to useless IMO.

I have a C5 and got a double capacity radiator, but depending on your temps you may not need the same thing.

Normally, the thinking is to get your fans re-programmed to come on at a lower temp than normal. But depending on the type of driving you do, it may not help much. That is on a fast track I'm not sure the fans would help. They would help on the grid and on cool down, and for autox(maybe?). Around town it would definately help.

Next is cleaning the outside of your radiator, a lot of road debris gets caught up in it and blocks air flow. Its not easy to do, and if you try to use water and don’t get all the dirt out, you end up with an adobe mud shield on your radiator :o

Try running with the heater on full, but direct it away from you It helps a lot.

I've put in the water wetter, but at the same time as other improvements so I can't say if it helped or not. I think it helps the people who run mostly water.

In retrospect I would look at getting higher volume fans before replacing the raiator. But, I'm still happy I did it. Post what you are doing (HPDE's, autox, drag) and the temps you are seeing and you'll get more opinions than you'll want.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

thermostat will help, as the engine will be cooler when you start your session. Eventually, it will still reach a high temp, but in a normal HDPE, the sessions are short enough that it will give an extra lap or so.

Water Wetter with pure water does help. Dump the antifreeze, run distilled water with water-wetter. Make sure you check the volume, as you might need two bottles.

Don't park outside if you live in a cold area, however, without replacing the anti-freeze.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a little help C6 running a little hot

Quick Reply: Need a little help C6 running a little hot