Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing on the new rules for T1 & T2 cars for next year???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Nothing on the new rules for T1 & T2 cars for next year???

SO I was told yesterday that all C5s will move to T2 next year, and that the "new" T1 class will include C6Z06s and the Viper, and I guess one or two other high end exoticas...

So what's the general take on this from you guys??? Actually surprised I'm not already reading a thread about it...

Mike
Old 09-22-2006, 08:42 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
SO I was told yesterday that all C5s will move to T2 next year, and that the "new" T1 class will include C6Z06s and the Viper, and I guess one or two other high end exoticas...

So what's the general take on this from you guys??? Actually surprised I'm not already reading a thread about it...

Mike
We're talking about it on the SCCA forums and I posted a question on this one about removal of the cats (and the sound level). We've also sent a request in to name the new group ST (Super Touring) instead of T1. We'll see what happens. Either way, both ST and T1 will suffer a bit as far as total entrants.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:31 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
SO I was told yesterday that all C5s will move to T2 next year, and that the "new" T1 class will include C6Z06s and the Viper, and I guess one or two other high end exoticas... Mike
How are they going to put roll bars in the C6Z, I'm curious how they can weld a steel roll cage on that aluminum frame?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:29 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

It's a very involved process according to Joe Aqualante and Kurt at Phoenix...not to mention expensive. I just can't see too many folks willing to go thru all that. But I'm sure there will be a few.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:35 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
How are they going to put roll bars in the C6Z, I'm curious how they can weld a steel roll cage on that aluminum frame?

I know of at least two cars done by Phoenix. it is almost twice as much as doing the normal T1 car roll cage.

No they dont weld alumium to steel. It is a very complex process that GMs Performance Division worked with Phoenix too assure strength.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:53 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yep, they use a type of steel/aluminum 'sandwich' or something like that.

I'm hoping that somebody does all this and realizes they are over their head...then decides to sell the car...cheap. I'd love to race a new Z (especially after driving one at last October's CMP event), but there's no way I can justify a $100K racing car...for either a new Z or a Viper. Too much $$$$$!!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Hey wait - I want one first.

It is like turing a current vette into a Phoenix T1 car, about $25,000 or purchsing a used T1 car for $32-35,000 - and you still have your street vette.

Oh Chris there should be 5-7 GM Zs at CMP this year.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:28 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

It is like turing a current vette into a Phoenix T1 car, about $25,000 or purchsing a used T1 car for $32-35,000 - and you still have your street vette.

Chalk me up for one of the driver's seats!!!! This year though, it'll be without the electronic gadgets on!!!!! Wahoo!!!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:48 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

while it is labor intensive, bonding/bolting steel plates to the aluminum is not that big of a deal. The A-pillars in your C5's are aluminum, and they slide down into the stee door support. There are about 6 bolts holding it together, THEN they put some sort of glue on their that WILL NOT EVER EVER VERY come off.

Trust me, when I stripped down my old car, I thought I'd just unbolt it, loosen it up, and slide apart. WRONG. Ended up cutting the entire thing out with a plasma cutter.

Bottom line, it can be done. If GM was willing to spare the frames, they could do all of that at the factory and charge a premium.

There are also some exotic friction welding processes for "melding" different metals, but I don't think that is something you do at the cage shop.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:54 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Plus at least one privately-owned.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Plus at least one privately-owned.

Frank Gonzalez
More like 7 or 8 privetly owned. Dont have driver / car list to match students with instructors yet. Waiting on GM to send us the list of engineers and managers who are coming.

Get notified of new replies

To Nothing on the new rules for T1 & T2 cars for next year???

Quick Reply: Nothing on the new rules for T1 & T2 cars for next year???