Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Wannabe who relies too much on driver's aids

Old 09-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default A Wannabe who relies too much on driver's aids

A forgotten lesson was reinforced last weekend when I went
out in a loaner car at an event here.

A local shop brings out a german car and for a modest fee
lets anyone take it out for three timed runs. For fun and
to warm up with some non-offical laps, I signed up to drive
the loaner.

I asked whether there were any special considerations and
they said nope, just get in and drive it. I had watched
earlier participants and thought they entered the brake box
gingerly so I made a point of feeling out the brakes.

Well, the first run went great. I was slow but I got a sense
for how everything worked - brakes actually felt pretty good.

So on the next run, I decide to work it harder and by the
end of the run I was feeling pretty confident and so I charged
into the brake box more as I do with my C4.

Well, without ABS, you can guess what happened. Good initial
decelleration - then poof! Lots of noise and smoke. Eulogies
for several long serving cones. Laughter. Thudding tires.

I'm not sure how many here still run equipment that is not equipped
with ABS but as time goes by, I expect the numbers will dwindle.
To those who may only have ever driven cars with brake/stability/
traction control - if you get an opportunity to get behind the wheel
of an old school car, take it. I think it is good to (re)discover
what you are shielded from behind the curtain.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:20 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...been preaching that for a long time!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:29 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It saddens me to see all of these new cars with all the electronic nannies. Some of them are helpful in some situations on the street, but they take away from the purity of driving. That's why I would rather have a Ferrari F40 than a Ferrari Enzo.

That's why I love that you can turn off traction control and active handling with the C5 Corvette (I wish I could turn off the ABS without pulling a fuse).

Some of these newer cars (Lexus) don't allow you to defeat these systems. I don't know that I could ever own a Lexus because of that.

This is also why cars like the Lotus Elise/Exige appeal to me. Lightweight when new cars are getting heavier and heavier and they have a minimal amount of electronic controls.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

too.

I haven't (and won't ) be removing ABS from the vette anytime soon because I do drive street, but otherwise at the track it is computer off for me! I kind of view it as cheating, honestly.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:32 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Hey.. But the electronic aids are safer. This is another example of where safety is starting to take all the fun out of driving.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:37 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I remember reading toward the end of the Unfair Advantage that Porsche came out with an early ABS set-up and Donohue was amazed how much easier it was to drive the car. I believe he had some kind of comment like, racing in the future will be less and less about the driver.

I don't know why you guys don't like ABS I do, it keeps my tires round!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:22 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by yellow01
too.

I haven't (and won't ) be removing ABS from the vette anytime soon because I do drive street, but otherwise at the track it is computer off for me! I kind of view it as cheating, honestly.

What he said....I agree!

J
Old 09-27-2006, 07:26 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, when in a Russell open wheel car I agree, driving with no aids is fun and there is a deductible that I've never exceeded. When driving my coupe at Reno-Fernley I have been out several days with the TC/AH off and it is fun and I did better lap times, too. But, when driving at Sears Point/Infineon where one little bobble has collected more cars than I like to think about into the concrete (ask Jr.), I'll keep the AH and ABS gladly. There is a time for everything.
Randy
Old 09-27-2006, 08:12 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StArrow68
Well, when in a Russell open wheel car I agree, driving with no aids is fun and there is a deductible that I've never exceeded. When driving my coupe at Reno-Fernley I have been out several days with the TC/AH off and it is fun and I did better lap times, too. But, when driving at Sears Point/Infineon where one little bobble has collected more cars than I like to think about into the concrete (ask Jr.), I'll keep the AH and ABS gladly. There is a time for everything.
Randy
It's nice that you have TC and AH on the Corvette, but it's even nicer that you can turn it off.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yellow01
too.

you could drive my z with your helmit on backwards
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
....I don't know why you guys don't like ABS I do, it keeps my tires round!

I have flat spotted my fair share of tires the old school way - and hope to continue to!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:29 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Whats worse is they design the chassis around the stability control.

I've heard C6's, especially the C6 Z06 is down right scary for your normal driver with AH off. It becomes an interim fix for some handling issues that never get worked out because of ESP and other systems masking the problem.

I still like the systems for regular road driving. An example...last night we were out and had an incredibly slow driver in a double right hand turn lane. I'm on the outside, he is on the inside and of course, turns right to the outside. It was raining and we were in our Liberty with ESP. Short wheel base, a lot of fun to throw around(no I'm not kidding), but tempermental in the rain. I was able to keep on the throttle, get around him and let the car do the work in a tight situation which would have been a lot more dangerous if I were driving the car solo. The ESP was going off like mad but it kep the car straight for the most part while I was able to get around. Without ESP/ABS I would ended up locking up and most likely sliding into the curb or the other car.

There are places for it. In snow I know I would much rather have no ABS and very grabby brakes but those don't play together well with ABS.

European brakes are grabby, American's don't like grabby. Most vehicles we've owned I get a set of the Euro spec pad material, generally makes them much easier to drive in crappy weather.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I believe he had some kind of comment like, racing in the future will be less and less about the driver.
With all the new Gov mandates, new cars will have more electonic aids that can't be turned off. Guess we have to learn how to drive these too.

Active Handleing
Traction Control
Yaw control
ABS
TPS and run flats
Brake assist ( for the nannys who dont brake hard enough or get too close to other cars )
DoD - Displacement on Demand

GPS - Heck plug in the course and speed, let the car do the rest while you take a nap.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:33 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I've heard C6's, especially the C6 Z06 is down right scary for your normal driver with AH off. It becomes an interim fix for some handling issues that never get worked out because of ESP and other systems masking the problem.
Where did you hear this??? I'd like to hear more about this subject.

I think the car handles great with the AH off. One of the very best as a matter of fact.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I'll give you that only because "normal" drivers just don't know how to handle a sports car, the same could be said for any Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Viper, ect.

It's not that the car, it's the driver.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:00 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

My traction control is my right foot, my ABS is my left foot.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:07 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
With all the new Gov mandates, new cars will have more electonic aids that can't be turned off. Guess we have to learn how to drive these too.

Active Handleing
Traction Control
Yaw control
ABS
TPS and run flats
Brake assist ( for the nannys who dont brake hard enough or get too close to other cars )
DoD - Displacement on Demand

GPS - Heck plug in the course and speed, let the car do the rest while you take a nap.
It's all because some idiots, who don't know how to check their tire pressures, like to drive their SUV's like sports cars.

Get notified of new replies

To A Wannabe who relies too much on driver's aids

Old 09-28-2006, 11:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Whats worse is they design the chassis around the stability control.

Nawww. Most of the guys who experience AH or TC issuess just dont know how to drive.

We have had a lot of guys say they had AH/TC come on all the time before they took a NCM school. afterwords they say they almost never see it.
Leaning to drive at any HPDE ( Not open track days) with an instructor in the right seat is a lesson eveyone can benift from.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I have NEVER felt ABS come on during a track session. I have jabbed at the brakes and push the car hard, but never felt them come on. Are they coming on without me knowing? I always thought ABS pulsated very noticeably
Old 09-28-2006, 02:42 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I have NEVER felt ABS come on during a track session. I have jabbed at the brakes and push the car hard, but never felt them come on. Are they coming on without me knowing? I always thought ABS pulsated very noticeably
Not quite so noticeably any more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Wannabe who relies too much on driver's aids