Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy considering a C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:40 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default New Guy considering a C6

Hello,

I have been lurking here recently, I have been looking at a low mile C5 Z and or a new C6. I am leaning towards the C6 right now.

I have been doing HPDE's for 4 years, plus 3 more on bikes, I am looking to replace my Honda S2000 with a Vette as a Street/HPDE machine.

I have a few questions

C6 Z51 brake rotors? Expensive? Should I just convert to C5 rotors? (I know they are cheap) How may days on a rotor (pretty agressive braking)

Pads? I ran Cobalt SPEC-VR/Spec C pads in my S2000 with good results, they are very hard on rotors though. Tried Carbotech XP10/XP9 combo, went throught the fronts in 3 days and cracked a rotor.

Tires? I have been using shaved RA'1s for a few years and have had good luck with them, I get 8-12 days out of a set. What tire sizes should I run front and rear?

The C5Z's seem to need extra oil, trans and diff coolers, are the C6 (Z51) ones adequate?

What else am I missing

Thank you.

George

PS anyone want a mint cond Honda S2000, gently driven on the weekends....
Old 09-28-2006, 06:20 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gfacter
Hello,

I have been lurking here recently, I have been looking at a low mile C5 Z and or a new C6. I am leaning towards the C6 right now.

I have been doing HPDE's for 4 years, plus 3 more on bikes, I am looking to replace my Honda S2000 with a Vette as a Street/HPDE machine.

I have a few questions

C6 Z51 brake rotors? Expensive? Should I just convert to C5 rotors? (I know they are cheap) How may days on a rotor (pretty agressive braking)
CHange the the C5 NAPA option. Last longer and less expensive. Depeinding on Pads, I get 4 to 5 weekends on the fronts and 6-7 on the rear rotors. with Wilwood H pads. With PFC-01 pads it was 2 -3 weekends for the fronts and 5-6 weekends for the rears.

Pads? I ran Cobalt SPEC-VR/Spec C pads in my S2000 with good results, they are very hard on rotors though. Tried Carbotech XP10/XP9 combo, went throught the fronts in 3 days and cracked a rotor.
Carbotech XP12-11 combo, Wilwood H, PFC-01, or 05s, Hawk DT-70s

Tires? I have been using shaved RA'1s for a few years and have had good luck with them, I get 8-12 days out of a set. What tire sizes should I run front and rear?
Toyos are good choices too. Kumhos are very popular as well. Hoosiers also. with the both cars many guys are going to 18" all around for ease of getting tires.

The C5Z's seem to need extra oil, trans and diff coolers, are the C6 (Z51) ones adequate?
The C5s need extra oil and trans coolers. The C6 Z51 on cool to moderate days are very good. On hot days not quite big enough. That one is your call.

What else am I missing
C6 has the TPS issue, Some work without the TPS in the wheels some do not.

Other then that, any vette you get will be a blast and much differnt the the Honda S2000, especially on the long straights.

Welcome to the Club George

Tom
Old 09-28-2006, 06:51 PM
gfacter
Pro

Good stuff Thanks Tom

I forgot about the TPS stuff I will have to figure that one out.
I do drive to the events on race tires so carrying a extra set is out.

I look forward to having a car with some torque, the S2000 is a momentum car, it will barely crack 125-130 on the longest straights (VIR and Summit Main)
Old 09-28-2006, 07:01 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

AND brake cooling ducts on either car

Ohh 145-152 4th gear red line going into the VIR back straight braking zone
Old 09-28-2006, 07:29 PM
gfacter
Pro

With those top speeds I can see why you need brake cooling duct

I cant wait to get back to VIR..love that track

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
AND brake cooling ducts on either car

Ohh 145-152 4th gear red line going into the VIR back straight braking zone
Old 09-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually just traded in my c5 z06 on a c6 z51...I am "downgrading" the caliper brackets to run the c5/c6 base napa/rockauto rotor, running hoosiers at the moment on stock c5 z06 wheels...I think I might try the kumho 710s next, but I have had great results with hoosier + Id rather support a US based company (im tired of watching this country go in the toilet bc people like to buy cheap ****). I ordered a 2nd set of tire pressure monitors and a TPS tool to reset the sensors to the car. I will try running without sensors to see what happens, but I am covered if it does not work. Running Wilwood H pads (awesome pads, tons of bite and no fade). I have not run the new car on the track, but I am hoping the oil cooler is good enough...I am also happy the z51 has a trans cooler too!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:49 PM
gpm30236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a C6 Z51 got my track start with it, but traded it and got a C5 Z06 , Of course have significantly changed it but like the extra feel that i got out of the C5, The issues with the C5's are well documented with good work arounds, The C6 with the 19" tires/ TPS sensors. rotors, funky electronics and esp the lexus like feeling when driving it , made the C5 seem like the best choice for me. Either one will be a good choice
Old 09-29-2006, 11:31 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
I have not run the new car on the track, but I am hoping the oil cooler is good enough...I am also happy the z51 has a trans cooler too!
In 100+F outside temps at Thunderhill I had to backoff a bit in an afternoon session when oil temps started to hit 290+F on my C6 Z51. A bigger oil cooler may be in order if you run in hot conditions...

glen
Old 09-29-2006, 03:34 PM
gfacter
Pro

Interesting, the C6 has a more isolated feeling?

Originally Posted by gpm30236
Had a C6 Z51 got my track start with it, but traded it and got a C5 Z06 , Of course have significantly changed it but like the extra feel that i got out of the C5, The issues with the C5's are well documented with good work arounds, The C6 with the 19" tires/ TPS sensors. rotors, funky electronics and esp the lexus like feeling when driving it , made the C5 seem like the best choice for me. Either one will be a good choice

Get notified of new replies

To New Guy considering a C6

Quick Reply: New Guy considering a C6