Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Suspension tuning advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:32 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C3 Suspension tuning advice

New to this particular Forum...

I have a '69 big block 'vert that has had the Vette Brakes suspension kit installed by the previous owner. Think it was the 'Slalom' version of about 6 years or so ago.

Anyway when I am driving somewhat aggressively on an on ramp cloverleaf (maybe about 55mph) I notice that when I let off the gas the front end keeps turning in but seems to increase the radius. Or I guess the rear end may be coming around a bit. It is a bit scary actually. If I accelerate again it stops doing it.

I was wondering if the set up can be adjusted to 'back out' some of this off throttle reaction.

I know the older Porsches had this issue but wasn't aware a heavy front engined car could also have it.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards, Mark

Old 09-29-2006, 09:59 AM
zeusoftexas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you let off the gas you are loading up the front tires and lifting the rear. That is the quickest way to loose it in a turn, all cars/bikes will do it, more easier than others. Use the throttle to turn the car.

Some advice, go to a track and try it out, not a public road.

THX
Old 09-29-2006, 10:13 AM
sasnglass77
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeusoftexas
when you let off the gas you are loading up the front tires and lifting the rear. That is the quickest way to loose it in a turn, all cars/bikes will do it, more easier than others. Use the throttle to turn the car.

Some advice, go to a track and try it out, not a public road.

THX

If your car is "pushing" you can play with the tire pressure also, lower the fronts 2-3 pounds that and throttle steering should do it for you. Try to find an autocross great oppurtunity to experiment with tire pressures. If you don't care to replace tires you can do some alignment work on it too.

Laurie

Last edited by sasnglass77; 09-29-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:10 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

What kind of shocks, and what's your alignment settings (front and rear)?

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Suspension tuning advice

Quick Reply: C3 Suspension tuning advice