Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost ready for my 1rst SCCA National Runoffs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:55 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Almost ready for my 1rst SCCA National Runoffs!

Over the past 2 weeks I have been slowly prepping the car for my 1rst showing at the Runoffs. All I have left to do now is get her all pretty for the cameras! At any rate, I'd like to give a rundown since I haven't posted in a while.

This was my rookie year in the T-1 class, as most of you know. After spending last year debating the ups and downs of going to a wheel to wheel race series, I took the dive based on a few different reasons. I'd been told by quite a few people over the past couple of years that even though I didn't think so, I had the ability to go racing and at very least hold my head above water. After hearing that and having a couple of very long talks with Brad Neff ( Subdriver ) about the financial outlays involved, I took the dive. Much of Brads experience was relevant to me due to the fact that we are both very similar in many respects; government job, family, financially secure but not "rich". T-1 was within reach, but it would be on a very tight shoestring budget. Hoping to capitalize on Brads pointers and try to mirror his success, I jumped in headfirst.

Early in the year, I started off well, grabbing my National License in just 2 Regional races ( instead of 4 ). I did well, but the car had some major issues that needed to be dealt with, a trashed torque tube, driveshaft and clutch took a major bite out of my budget right away. I soldiered on thru 6 National races over the course of the year. I had a bunch of teething pains with the car that ate huge chunks from the budget, but I completed my goals for the year. My first goal was to make the Runoffs, which I have done. I finished 9th in points in a very tough Northeast Division, all in spite of many mechanical issues and missing the last 3 races of the year due to work related reasons. It's very possible I could have squeeked out 6th had I made those races, but whats done is done. My second major goal was to get through the season with no racing contact of my own fault. I have done that. I have also learned to trust myself and my fellow SCCA competitors a bit more now, we all seem to have pretty good control of our cars!

I am also proud of the fact that even with all of the reliability issues this year, I have made it through my rookie year with no DNS's or DNF's. That, coupled with a 2nd place podium finish mid-year at Memphis and meeting my other goals makes it all the better. Now here I am, one week away from my rookie Runoffs, I'm beginning to feel the butterflies. I've never been to Heartland Topeka Park and unfortunately will not be able to arrive early for any testing. Work just has to come first if I want to continue living this dream. Monday will be my first time on this track, something I have actually become a bit accustomed to this year; many of the tracks I raced at this year were with no testing, first time on them.

I have no super high goals for the Runoffs, I simply am going to do the best I can with what I have and the time on track that I will get. A mid pack finish will lead me to a very happy drive home, but simply finishing the race will be an accomplishment to remember! Most of all, I want to have FUN!!! The caliber of drivers I will be out there with is impressive, I can hardly believe I started this season just 5 months ago and am able to take a grid with a field like this. As I have done all year long, I am out there to do my best!

I would like to close by letting everyone here know how thankful I am for the support many of you have shown me. I don't get a chance to do many DE's anymore and see many of you but I have not forgotten the friends I have made. Aside from the personal satisfaction, you all make it even more worth chasing the goals of competitve racing. I also want everyone to know that I am flying the NAVY sticker on my car in honor of Brad Neff and his fallen T-1 Z06. As many of you know he had a bad wreck earlier this year and his car is still out of commission. He helped me a ton, and still does, with advice and moral support. The least I can do is honor all that help by showing him some support at my first Runoffs. A wreck like that would take me out of the game for a long time too, I feel it's the right thing to do to show him my gratitude for all the help!

I couldn't have made it this far and done this well without the support of many, including that of my wife Rhonda. She believes in me and is a master at keeping me calm and focused while I am in the car. I'll need her more than ever for this race!!

Thanks again everyone, and I hope to make you guys proud, as well as giving you something to watch when the races airs on Speed. Hopefully they cover some back of the pack battles!!! Take care everyone!

Joe Gaudette

Last edited by sleeper02Z06; 10-02-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I couldn't have made it this far and done this well without the support of many, including that of my wife Rhonda. She believes in me and is a master at keeping me calm and focused while I am in the car. I'll need her more than ever for this race!!
Good women are hard to find.

Good Luck Joe
Old 10-02-2006, 07:44 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Good Luck, Joe. You will do fine. See ya in a few days.

DMP
Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck, Joe! Just keep it pointed in the right direction and you'll do fine.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:00 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Class act! Good luck Joe!

Old 10-02-2006, 08:25 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck Joe, from all of us who have to live vicariously through you!!!

Hope to see you again next year.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I'll be there helping Chris Ingle, but if you need any help, just ask. I figure at least a majority of the Vettes and yes, even a Viper has something I made on it, so I need to go and support all of you guys! The Phoenix guys have been great customers and friends as well so I hope everyone the best there too. It's going to be fun!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:33 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll do fine buddy, just concentrate on getting as much seat time there as you can. Try to get a good qual run on either Wednesday or Thursday and then let the chips fall where they may. It's not a hard track to learn, but there are spots where it just takes some time to build up speed.

Oh, and BRING PLENTY OF BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the right attitude, the right focus and you are doing what many of us wish we could do but chose to spend our (borrowed) money on other things.....

Old 10-02-2006, 08:37 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks for the update-I love reading about your progress!

Give 'em hell!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:40 PM
danswofford
Pro

Keep us posted. You are doing what most of us would like to do.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:59 PM
TEXAST1
Racer

Just remeber you can't win the race on the first turn of the first lap!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

good luck joe!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck Joe, and remember to enjoy it... This is your last race of the season and your LAST ROOKIE race... Oh, and after you get that big enclosed trailer, you won't be able to be the "racer on a shoestring budget" guy anymore ... Well, I know you will be, but you won't look the part!

Oh, and you guys keep your DVRs running... I hear Joe may get some camera time for a little interview on Speed...

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Almost ready for my 1rst SCCA National Runoffs!

Quick Reply: Almost ready for my 1rst SCCA National Runoffs!