Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is stickier?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:15 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which is stickier?

Two popularly used tires. Which is stickier the GY Eagle GT1 G-19 or Hoosier AS305 (treadwear 40)?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:32 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on the Goodyear COMPOUND. They make the Eagle slick from "R075" (very soft - sticky), to "R600" (comparatively hard, lasts a long time, good for enduros).

Really the only advantage of the autocrossing Hoosier compared to a Goodyear slick is that the Hoosier "comes in" very quickly. In every other aspect, the slick is a better performer.

Ed LoPresti
Old 10-03-2006, 08:33 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!. I forgot to mention these GY are R470. I am not familiar with this rating.

How does that nomenclature compare with Hoosier's UTQG tire wear of 40?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

http://www.racegoodyear.com/pdf/2006...rts_radial.pdf

The 470 compound is a harder compound probably for endurance racing. Depending on what you're going to use them for will determine which tire you want. For example, you don't necessarily want to be running lapping sessions at a track on the Hoosier A's. On the other hand, I don't think you'd want to autocross on the Goodyear's.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good Year G19s are far stickier.

I have run G19s in 370 and 470 compounds. The 470 is for enduro on hot sticty tracks 370s are temps below 74* and colder tracks or qualifing.

I have corded 370s in one day, but the stick was best I have experienced.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:24 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To get back to the original question, and between the Hoosier A3SO5 and the Goodyear 470 compound slick, and assuming the same relative contact patch, and proper suspension settings for each, the Hoosier will "get sticky" very quickly, but once both tires are up to temperature
and running pressure, the Goodyear will have better mechanical grip.

Which brings us to the next point of USAGE: 69AutoXr has the key to that question - each tire's suitability depends upon your intended use, so let's look at your original question from the other driection:

1) IF competition rules dictate use of a DOT approved tire, the Goodyear is OUT.

2) IF your application is autocrossing or hillclimb, the Hoosier may be a better bet, because it "comes in" faster.

3) IF there is time to warm the tires, and ultimate grip is the goal, the slick will predictably be better, AND an even softer compound slick (lower R number in Goodyear's case) would be better still.

Incidentally, that "tire wear of 40" stuff is to satisfy the DOT compliance, and I am certain means "it will wear out quickly".

Ed LoPresti

Get notified of new replies

To Which is stickier?

Quick Reply: Which is stickier?