Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar Decisions (C5)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:32 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sway Bar Decisions (C5)

I know we have killed this topic to death, but I have never seen a side by side comparison of all the available sway bars on the market.

OK...I have been running stock Z06 suspension (except for Bilsteins) for quite some time and have been very happy. I am probably way over due for sway bar upgrade at this point.

My car is lowered and cornerweighted, so I don't want to upset the work that has been done there (if possible)

I have done some research and have the following specs on the available sway bars for a C5.

Z06
F 30mm
R 23.6mm
Cost ?

Hotchkis
F 31.75mm
R 25.4mm
Cost $698

Pfadt
Option 1
same as Hotchkis, but thicker walls with adjustability
Cost $790 (w bushings)

Option 2
F 38mm (1 3/8)
R 28.575 (1 1/8)
Cost $875 (w bushings)

Addco
F 35mm
R 25.4mm
Cost $439

T1
F 38mm
R 27mm
Cost $785

Now if we look at this list, there are many good choices. Besides bar sizes, most of these bars are identical with exception to the Pfadt's. They are works of art and allow adjustability for additional or less stiffness based on load that is set on the bar. None of the other bars have this feature, so keep this in mind for the comparison.

Now look at the cost, all are similar, except the Addco. They are almost 1/2 of the other bars and offer a stiffer rate than Z06, but not a bone crushing as T1 bars. If I were spending $800 bucks, I would probably just go with the Pfadts, but you would have to test them in a few settings to find the right one for you.

Personally, if I am 80% happy with the Z06 bars, I think the T1 (for my application) may be overkill as I do drive on the street and don't want that experience to be unbearable. The Addco bars might be the perfect compromise and THAT price is perfect!

Any additional thoughts?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:36 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would add another question on these bars. Probably true for a number of these aftermarket products.

How well have these been tested and proven?

We know the T1 bars are a proven solution. Even if they are very harsh for street use. What about the others???
Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I love my Addco front sway bar...What an awesome change from stock.. Not sure on the other bars, but I am VERY pleased with the Addco bar..
Old 10-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I went from Z51 to Hotchkis (IMHO not firm enough to compete with the exotics) to T1's. The T1's combined with QA1 Adjutable shocks is an awesome set-up for me. Since switching to T1's, I easily out-handle Ferraris & Porches in the twisties at Road Atlanta. With QA1 shocks, I can drive very comfortably on the street too.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:20 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Addeco's are cheaper because they don't include the endlinks, which is perfect for me, since I already have the VBP adjustable ones. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I think the Addco bars seem like the best compromise. They are stiffer than the Z06/Hotchiks/Pfadt option, but not as large as the T1 and the price is right!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Track Hound Matt go T-1 or the adjustable ones. Ask what the minimum & maximum adjustment is equal to.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:51 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the front Addco's were 32mm?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:02 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
I thought the front Addco's were 32mm?
Addco makes a variety of front bars for a C5........I think for the money most people will be happy with the Addco bars with either a 32 or 35 front , depending on driving style, car set-up, or expectations. 25mm rear bar is well suited to either, or less rear bar. T1 stuff IMO is too much bar, I have used them and never been a huge fan. That doesn't mean it doesn't work for some. Especially the guys that have to use them
Pfadt's bars if you are a "tweaker" and want a range of easy adjustment , seem to be very nice and worth the money albeit on the higher price side of things. It is a whole lot easier to adjust a bar than to replace it and reset everything up.
I think I am going to play on the Pfadt bars this weekend at Putnam Park NASA event...........................

Get notified of new replies

To Sway Bar Decisions (C5)

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Decisions (C5)