Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Event: SpeedVentures at WS's Horse Thief Mile 11-4&5!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:09 PM
fluxen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Event: SpeedVentures at WS's Horse Thief Mile 11-4&5!

Saturday and Sunday at the Horse Theif Mile at Willow Springs; Nov 4th& 5th, 2006

Price: $120 Saturday, $110 Sunday, $200 for both (+ $30 instructor fee mandatory for novices)

Duration: 2 days, 4+ hours of track time per group!**

Track: Streets of Willow Springs Rosamond, CA (near Lancaster)

Registration is open: https://speedventures.com/event_forms.asp

Timing: Transponders are available for rental.

Event Info:

The Horse Theif Mile at Willow Springs is the newest track in the Los Angeles area, and this is your opportunity to be one of the first to drive on it! In fact, the track is so new, the only track map available is the horrible xerox you see below (sorry about that). Turns are moderate-speed (35 - 70mph), and the track is highly technical, probably the most technical in California. There is also a good deal of elevation change on the track, which always makes a track more fun to drive.

We'll be running the full track CW both days. We will not be using the chicaine after turn 2.

Our typical schedule is three run groups, with five sessions per group, 25-30 minutes per session, though we do occasionally go to a four run group schedule when conditions require it.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Damn. I wasn't going to track the vette anymore this year, but now I just might have to. How hard is this track on tires and brakes? Is it easier on them than the Streets?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:23 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by mlongo99
Damn. I wasn't going to track the vette anymore this year, but now I just might have to. How hard is this track on tires and brakes? Is it easier on them than the Streets?
This is a very new track, so you're probably not going to get a reply from anyone with experience on the track.

I'll give you an educated GUESS. Generally newer asphalt (not brand-new) is very abrasive, because the sharp edges haven't been worn off all the gravel in it. It also looks like the track has some very tight corners, which means the Corvettes will either be using the throttle to swing the tail around the corner or understeering badly as they scrub off speed at turn in -- both of which are very hard on tires.

Nevertheless, the track will never be as good as it is now. The asphalt will only get slicker as it gets older.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Yea, I figured few if any people here have been on it. I know one guy that has, but he does drifting stuff so I can't really get a good answer from him. Oh well.

The price is great, and I love going to Rosamond because it's the closest to me and the drive isn't bad at all. I think I'm gonna go. But I was planning to take my bike to the track again since I just spent some money on it. Maybe I'll have to take both. Damn this sickness!

Get notified of new replies

To New Event: SpeedVentures at WS's Horse Thief Mile 11-4&5!

Quick Reply: New Event: SpeedVentures at WS's Horse Thief Mile 11-4&5!