Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I have to replace my master cylinder must I get a Tech II bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default If I have to replace my master cylinder must I get a Tech II bleed?

Just curous.... I'm guessing even after bench bleeding the master there will be a little air in the system from connecting the lines.

If I bled the fluid through the calipers then wouldn't air go into the ABS and not come out?

Must I take it to the stealer and get a Tech II bleed?

Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

no, not usually. Unless the ABS module is active when you bleed it, the air bubbles should just float on by.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Oh... awesome
Old 06-15-2007, 08:37 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my m/c off two winters ago to change the bias spring and clean out the reservoir. When I put everything back together all I did was bench bleed the m/c and then bled the whole system. Everything seemed fine.

As long as you don't let the calipers drain and you get a good bench bleed on the new m/c you should be fine.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

When I changed the M/C on mine I left the lines just barely cracked at the master. Then had someone slowly press the brake pedal so a small amount of fluid was forced out, I closed the lines before the pedal got to the floor. I figured some air may have got there while hooking up the lines.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:53 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

let me clear up, you will get air into the lines, which must be purged, but in my experience, the bubbles will NOT penetrate into the EBTCM solenoids unless to run the entire system pretty dry. A full (ie several bottles) bleed is necessary to clear out the system, but I've not had a problem with bubbles getting into the abs valves.

Worse case, if you have a spongy pedal, you find someone who has a TechII after the fact. Brakes will work with bubbles, just not as effectively.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:41 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

has anybody said to bleed in the opposite direction to avoid this problem?

If you get air in the lines from replacing the master cylinder, push the pots into the caliper futher to bleed the air back into the resevoir.

Problem solved.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately I had to do this job several times because of master cylinder going south.

Service manual suggests that after bench bleeding the MC, install, then start by bleeding the ABS that is located in the rear compartment behind the drivers seat.
Then right rear , left rear, right front and finally left front .

It is time consuming but I did it using a Mighty Vac, I found it to be very usefull, just have to keep an eye on fluid level.

If this does not make it right you might have air trapped and maybe need to repeat the procedure or use the Tech 1 to redo the procedure.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

I like your screen name, I just rented a series of Japanese anime, called Samurai 7, with one of the characters called Kinkajou, but I doubt that's how you came about your screen name.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:31 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone tried introducing new fluid from the caliper BACK to the MC? We do that with the airplanes and it pushes the air up easily and completely eliminates the air. Not sure if it will work on the Corvette w/valves???
Old 06-21-2007, 09:24 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rbl
Has anyone tried introducing new fluid from the caliper BACK to the MC? We do that with the airplanes and it pushes the air up easily and completely eliminates the air. Not sure if it will work on the Corvette w/valves???
see post #7.

Get notified of new replies

To If I have to replace my master cylinder must I get a Tech II bleed?

Quick Reply: If I have to replace my master cylinder must I get a Tech II bleed?