Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys have any comments on Painless wiring harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:50 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default You guys have any comments on Painless wiring harnesses

I'm considering yanking all of the factory wiring out of the C4 and installing a painless stand alone harness. I would save a ton of weight and many hours of sifting though the factory harnesses trying to weed out what I don't need. Extra bonus, the painless harness is 4' longer, so I could mount the EMC inside the car.

Also, any of you guys know the difference between ECM 16181333 and ECM 16188051? The service ID sticker is missing off my ECM, and I don't know which one I have.

1994 Corvette, LT1, 6-speed.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:30 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Painless is a great company, I've heard of thier standalone systems for the LT1/4 engines, but what about the ABS and other systems?

The later ECM are flash programable. No need for a chip. Ask in the scan & tune section for specifics.

more info on LT1 edit
http://carputing.tripod.com/9495LT1Edit.htm

also
http://carputing.tripod.com/OBDII_to...Conversion.htm
Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Painless is a great company, I've heard of thier standalone systems for the LT1/4 engines, but what about the ABS and other systems?
I am trying to narrow it down to only two systems. Engine management and ABS. I am trying to figure out how to made the ABS a stand alone system. The is a track only car, so no need for the body control computer or any emissions equipment. I also am doing away with the factory cluster, so I don't have to worry about that either.

I really don't want to lose the ABS.

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
The later ECM are flash programable. No need for a chip. Ask in the scan & tune section for specifics.
Geoff at Thunder Racing does all of my programming for me. I'll just trailer it to BR and let them dyno tune it.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:05 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBRA
I'm considering yanking all of the factory wiring out of the C4 and installing a painless stand alone harness. I would save a ton of weight and many hours of sifting though the factory harnesses trying to weed out what I don't need. Extra bonus, the painless harness is 4' longer, so I could mount the EMC inside the car.

Also, any of you guys know the difference between ECM 16181333 and ECM 16188051? The service ID sticker is missing off my ECM, and I don't know which one I have.

1994 Corvette, LT1, 6-speed.
Been there done that. Painless is the only harness I would recomend. You will need tech support and theres is the best. I could have never done is it without the help of my son (AKA Sparky) He understands wiring and electricity much better than I. We did maintain the ABS and engine management systerm. We weighed stuff as removed and stuff we added back in and came up with a net loss of over 70#. Be prepared to spend 40 hours or more IF you ae good with wiriing and circuits. It can be done. Mine is an 88 track only car. No lights ther than brake, made our own dash and instrument set up. retained power mirrors and OBD 1 hookup for diagnostics. PM me if we can help more, and I will try to get my son hooked up with you.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:38 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
Been there done that. Painless is the only harness I would recomend. You will need tech support and theres is the best. I could have never done is it without the help of my son (AKA Sparky) He understands wiring and electricity much better than I. We did maintain the ABS and engine management systerm. We weighed stuff as removed and stuff we added back in and came up with a net loss of over 70#. Be prepared to spend 40 hours or more IF you ae good with wiriing and circuits. It can be done. Mine is an 88 track only car. No lights ther than brake, made our own dash and instrument set up. retained power mirrors and OBD 1 hookup for diagnostics. PM me if we can help more, and I will try to get my son hooked up with you.

Awesome to hear! Your set up sound exactly like what I'm going for here. I really want to keep the ABS, so I think I'm going to convert my '94 to the '86-'89 ABS system. I am very interested in any information you can give me on wiring your ABS system. It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steven
Old 06-18-2007, 10:00 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yo ZBRA, it's me again

i used the painless harness for my ECM. Very happy with it, although it's not quite as "stand alone" as advertised.

A few circuits were still routed through the main harness and took time to weed out and isolate. If I remember correctly, the fuel pump and the starter were the ones.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
i used the painless harness for my ECM. Very happy with it, although it's not quite as "stand alone" as advertised.

A few circuits were still routed through the main harness and took time to weed out and isolate. If I remember correctly, the fuel pump and the starter were the ones.
I read the installation instructions for the LT1 system. Looks like you are correct and I would have to wire the starter and fuel pump. I will also have to wire the fans. Their harness only has the relay outputs for the fans, and I'll have to run the power wires.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:19 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBRA
I read the installation instructions for the LT1 system. Looks like you are correct and I would have to wire the starter and fuel pump. I will also have to wire the fans. Their harness only has the relay outputs for the fans, and I'll have to run the power wires.

I wanted my fans wired to a switch, anyway, I did that out of convenience rather than necessity. You can run both through one 30A relay, although I'm going to eventually separate them so I can turn them on individually. You know, where there's time.

Not sure how electrically inclined you are, it's a simple wiring job for the fans. If you'd rather have convenience, Painless makes a fan kit as well. FWIW I used a 200* on / 180* off setup in parallel with my switch in case I forget to flip it on...

Get notified of new replies

To You guys have any comments on Painless wiring harnesses

Quick Reply: You guys have any comments on Painless wiring harnesses