Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative Battery Cable Loose? Lost Power at Track--Any Fixes?

Old 06-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Negative Battery Cable Loose? Lost Power at Track--Any Fixes?

When I was on the track last month I suddenly lost power in my car, then it would come on and off for a second. Of course this happened when I was running down the front straight going into turn one at Road Am--had a flippin' heart attack and managed to drift round the track through 3 then pull to the side. I was able to restart the car and leave the track no problems.

Then this past Wed at Blackhawk, I was positioning the car for jacking and I couldn't restart it. After several attempts I get electrical power but just for a split second. We tightened (or tried to) the negative cable on the battery--it would never tighten all the way. But the problem seemed "solved".

Here at home you can get it fairly tight, but the cable still moves. The bolt doesn't appear stripped or cross-threaded.

Any advice? Thanks so much!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get a tool to reshape the battery clamp but for now just shim it with some conductive material. People drive nails in by the post and it works.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:54 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

go to nearest sears.
diehard gold.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

needs new cable end not a battery. Sears is goood your just hand them back when bad.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:17 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are using a stock side post set up there is a male flange on the batterey cable that fits a similar female recess on the batterey. If these two are not perfectly aligned, you will not be seating the cable all the way to the batterey and you will get exactly the symptoms you describe. Make sure of your alignment before you tighten the bolt.

Last edited by WNDOPDLR; 06-21-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Thanks! Will recheck alignment, then look for the battery clamp reshaping tool if need be. (If I can't get it done by next Fri, my next track date, I'll bring along the nails LOL).
Old 06-18-2007, 01:32 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Are you going to the lapping day at blackhawk? if so I will be there to shake the car down before the race Sun. If you have trouble I will be paddocked on the main entrance by 5, I will have the corvette flag up. Stop by and Ill try to help.
MAC
Old 06-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by MAC95 6SPD
Are you going to the lapping day at blackhawk? if so I will be there to shake the car down before the race Sun. If you have trouble I will be paddocked on the main entrance by 5, I will have the corvette flag up. Stop by and Ill try to help.
MAC
Yes that's the event, Badger Bimmers 6/29. Thanks so much for your very generous offer (which I hopefully won't have to take advantage of )!! I'll plan on stopping by no matter what to see how things are going for you too!

Anita
Old 06-21-2007, 12:44 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Sorry ZO6, I will be at the MCSCC event 6/22 (tomorrow) They have an open lapping day Friday, Autocross on Saturday and Wheel to wheel race Sunday.
If you feel like coming to the track early still feel free.
MAC
Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Sorry if I confused you with the dates..."so many track events to choose from, so little time"

Hey best of luck this weekend. Tomorrow looks like it might be a little rainy, but Sat and Sun look good!

I used to do low and high speed autox's with Midwestern Council (usually the Madison club), full year back in 2003 and a couple of highspeeds in 2004. First event was at Columbus 151 with my '88 Mustang--the only thing I was trusted with to start with! I said the heck with that and took out my '02 M5 (with DSC off and Sport on LOL) to my second event..at Blackhawk.

Council was a great group to participate with!!!! I see some folks every now and then and miss 'em.

Again much success this weekend!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Negative Battery Cable Loose? Lost Power at Track--Any Fixes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Negative Battery Cable Loose? Lost Power at Track--Any Fixes?