Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 driver / 3car / 2 day test and review of ET900s and 800s - Long

Old 06-19-2007, 10:57 PM
z06jones
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 driver / 3car / 2 day test and review of ET900s and 800s - Long

For those that like it short, the racingbrake ET800s and ET900s performed flawlessly, we will run them again.

For those that like more detail, keep reading.
Three friends and I took 3-C6 Z06s up to VIR last weekend with the mazdadrivers.com group.
None of us are pro-level or SCCA level racers, just people who enjoy running hard and fast at track days. That being said, at Road Atlanta and Roebling Road, two of us consistently turn times that would place us mid-pack compared to SCCA T1 times.
The other two are about 7-10 seconds per lap more cautious.

My car was double-stinted running with no break in-between sessions. On Sunday that meant 50 minutes of track time without a break, other than 2 minutes to change drivers. I was the more aggressive driver and I had the car for the second half of the double sessions.
All three cars have stock suspension, stock rotors, stainless steel brake lines, no additional brake cooling and used the pads front and rear. Each has minor mods: intake, tuning, and full-width rear spoiler.

My car and the ‘06 used the 900s.
The other car had 800s.
The ‘06 had Hoosier race tires, the other two stock rubber.
I have used Hawk HP+ in the past.
The driver of the car with ET800s previously had driven at Roebling road w/stock pads and Road Atlanta and Roebling in a C6 Z51 with Hawk DTC70s F&R.
The driver of the car with race rubber had previously used stock pads, and wore out a brand new set of stockers in one day at Roebling 3 weeks ago.
None of us had been to VIR before. All of us have done 8 track events this year.

None of use had any issues with brake pads or the pedal going soft. Every time the brakes were called upon, they responded exactly as expected with no surprises.

Initial bite on the 900s were better than the Hawks, they also seem to take the heat of double-stinting better, as well as braking from high speeds. With the 900s or 800s, it is much easier to brake hard enough to get the ABS system to activate, even when it did, the car stopped straight, it just took much less pedal effort than with previous pads. The braking was very linear and easy to modulate once one learned not to press quite as hard.

I have not pulled the pads out to measure taper or wear, but will in the next day or two and update this thread.

The ‘06 with Hoosiers could not have been happier, between the tires and ET900s, his stopping distances where truly impressive and very consistent.

The ‘07 with ET800s was very happy with the brakes. After running a Z51 with DTC70s for 6 HPDEs, she was not at all impressed with the stock Z06 brakes. With the 800s, she was very happy and had no complaints.

Both cars with 900s had many ¼ inch long cracks before this event. The 800s rotors looked new with no cracks anywhere.
After the event, no noticeable or unusual wear on the cars’ rotors was noticed.
The cracks did not appear to grow more than 1/16 inch on my car.

The bad.
900s scream like banshees when used on the street. I know it is not a street/track pad but I can dream.
The 800s much less screaming, too early to tell if it will be liveable on the street.

Last edited by z06jones; 06-19-2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 AM
z06jones
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update Taper and Wear

On my car that was double stinted / 16 sessions
Pad taper about .020 top to bottom
Fronts had .120-.140 wear when measuring the thinnest part of the pad
Rears had .030-.040 wear
The other two cars I have not measured yet.
The ET800s continue to squeak only a little and intermittently when driven on the street. (this maybe the dual use pad I have been looking for)

We are all going back to VIR with the July 2 & 3. I will have a longer term update after that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 driver / 3car / 2 day test and review of ET900s and 800s - Long