Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint protection: shelf paper on the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Paint protection: shelf paper on the hood?

Folks,

We have discussed paint protection a lot lately, but one thing I wondered that is not covered is: Has it been effective to use shelf paper to protect your hood? How else (other than just painter's tape) have people protected the hood itself?

Thanks

Andy
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

A bra works well. Today's bra's fit very well, and don't flap around at high speed.

I use shelf paper for numbers, never used it on the nose, but I imagine it would work fairly well. However, painters tape is available in a good selection of colors at many hardware stores, and is known to be easy to install/remove, and protects well.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:29 PM
cendres
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shelf paper works great for protecting the front end. At least at freeway speeds. I slathered the front end of my truck before a recent cross-country move. In 1600 miles, it remained chip-free. I use it to protect the paint around the wheel wells and behind the tires for AX, too. The clear variety is less conspicuous than painters tape, and one roll goes a long way.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

We used contact paper (I guess that's shelf paper), painters tape, and a nose mask to protect my dad's Z16 on track. I was impressed w/ the contact paper as it comes in nice large sheets and peeled off w/o leaving any residue behind.

Here's a few pics:

Old 06-20-2007, 02:31 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all those nasty STD's out there...I choose the full nose condom.

The blue tape outlines where I have laid the contact paper (front and rear). I must say it works AWESOME! I have used tape option, and hard stones and such will still penetrate to the paint occaisionally. Contact paper takes 1/4 the time of taping your front end and is much thicker and protective compared to painter's tape.

I lay it on the car, then cut with an exacto, and tape down the edges, takes me 15 minutes and peals off in 3 minutes at the end of the day to reveal a PERFECT paint job underneath. You could do the whole hood, but after the initial 12 inches, most debris would just lift up toward the windsheild.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the clear sticky carpet protector film on the hood and it works great. It comes in a large roll and is plyable, so you can smooth it out pretty well. It is a little bit thinner than contact paper, but you can use 2 layers.

I heard about this stuff on this forum a few years ago and it works/sticks well and leaves no residue. I also use the GM C5 bra with the plastic cut out for the ducts, mirror protectors, and blue tape for the rockers and around the wheel wells.

I know, call me nuts, but I want to keep the car looking good.

cj
Old 06-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I need to really have protection with a perfect fit without any damage to the paint I use latex.

I have found a place that can sell me raw latex. This comes in a liquid state, like youghurt.

I can brush it directly to the part I want to protect and let it dry. I can apply as many coats as I need and when it is dry it will produce a very thin and resistant film that can be peeled away if needed.

It is cheap and will adhere to the surface without problems giving protection without the edges peeling away from being exposed to the wind at speed.

I have also used it to mask a part for painting. Only problem is that you have to wait for layers to dry.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I was using Walmart Medium Adhesive Shelf Paper for a couple of years with no problems. Then last year something changed and it left an adhesive residue on the car that was extremely tough to get off. This year I went with the new Scotch Brand 233+ Painters tape which is designed to hold up better in wet conditions such as wet sanding. It is green and the Scotch Part Number is PN26340 for a 48mm by 55m roll. I got mine at an autofinishers supply store. I don't know if other auto stores carry it. If you leave it on for 3 or 4 days it comes off very easy but only when you take it off. I ran a day and a half in the rain a couple of weeks ago and never had any problems with it peeling off like I have seen with the blue tape. If you leave it on for 2 weeks it will give you some trouble getting it off.

Bill
Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=95jersey;1560749995]With all those nasty STD's out there...I choose the full nose condom.

The blue tape outlines where I have laid the contact paper (front and rear). I must say it works AWESOME! I have used tape option, and hard stones and such will still penetrate to the paint occaisionally. Contact paper takes 1/4 the time of taping your front end and is much thicker and protective compared to painter's tape.

I lay it on the car, then cut with an exacto, and tape down the edges, takes me 15 minutes and peals off in 3 minutes at the end of the day to reveal a PERFECT paint job underneath. You could do the whole hood, but after the initial 12 inches, most debris would just lift up toward the windsheild.>

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I guess the whole hood is not needed. I have the GM bra but it is for the C5 not the C5 Z, I think I just have to cut some holes for the mesh (where it has clear plastic). I will just cover the first part of the hood and see how that does.

I like that Green tape idea--I might try to find some of that--hopefully it is at the hardware stores here.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Paint protection: shelf paper on the hood?

Quick Reply: Paint protection: shelf paper on the hood?