Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place for C4 wheel bearings?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Best place for C4 wheel bearings?

Looks (sounds, actually ) like my right front wheel bearing is shot. I've replaced all of them on my C5 last year, and you guys saved me a ton of money. Any recommendations for C4's? It's a 95, if it matters.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
Looks (sounds, actually ) like my right front wheel bearing is shot. I've replaced all of them on my C5 last year, and you guys saved me a ton of money. Any recommendations for C4's? It's a 95, if it matters.

Blonde, brunette, or redhead?

I've been successfully running the AutoZone Timken bearings on my car for over a year. Larry will chime in and say they're crap because he plowed through a set in less than a day. I did break mine in with ~100 miles of easy use while he did not. Soooo YMMV.

The ones I used are actually for a Firebird. I had the bolt holes drilled to accept the Corvette bolts. The bearings were $109ea vs ~$180 for the Corvette specific ones.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Here's the BIG THREAD on the subject.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&highlight=hub

I'm working on a method of rebuilding them, but it's a little hampered by me being away from my contact at the moment.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Blonde, brunette, or redhead?

I've been successfully running the AutoZone Timken bearings on my car for over a year. Larry will chime in and say they're crap because he plowed through a set in less than a day. I did break mine in with ~100 miles of easy use while he did not. Soooo YMMV.

The ones I used are actually for a Firebird. I had the bolt holes drilled to accept the Corvette bolts. The bearings were $109ea vs ~$180 for the Corvette specific ones.
Alrighty then- off to Autozone I go.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I took the plunge and tried the ones from WBI (Wheel Bearings Inc), listed on CC's list.

I just intalled them on the rear this week so I can't comment on the quality yet. However, they look and feel very solid, and FWIW they're made in the USA. I took some photos and will post later tonight when I'm home.

I can't remember what brand my front bearings are, but they've held up quite well to two seasons of road racing. I just checked them while doing the rears and there is no slop at all, even with the weight of the tire. I will definately be using this brand again. Again, I'll look it up and post later.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I concur with #007

Now I'm running a GM front bearing, and I did break it in gently for 200 winter off season miles. and it is still holding up.

here is the kicker.
The GM bearing looks identical to the autozone bearing, just a different box.

and yes, when I ran the autozone bearings, I drove off the trailer, and onto the track, and the bearing was wiped out after 4 laps.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
I concur with #007

Now I'm running a GM front bearing, and I did break it in gently for 200 winter off season miles. and it is still holding up.

here is the kicker.
The GM bearing looks identical to the autozone bearing, just a different box.

and yes, when I ran the autozone bearings, I drove off the trailer, and onto the track, and the bearing was wiped out after 4 laps.

No proof of course, but it sure seems like a hundred or so "normal" miles really helps. Maybe like breaking in a new engine?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:12 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I used to place the new one on the right side and move the old right side to left. Most racing is right turns.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:24 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the Rawhide or some such crap on C4R and got less then one track day on them.

I'd never use any C4 bearings but Delcos EVER again
Old 06-23-2007, 09:55 PM
indianavette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Tommy Morrison was winning SCCA and IMSA endurance championshipships in the late '80s, '90s, he wouldn't run anything but OEM AC Delco wheel bearings which had been lubed at the plant with a special Mobil 1 synthetic.

There's a bunch of his spares for sale in Shelbyville IN. Fronts. Rears. Big lugs. Little lugs. Some have lugs spot welded in place. Some rears have an extra gear. All are bullet proof. Hit Tommy with an email (tmorris9@bellsouth.net) if you want to know more.

Bearings are available for 25% less than the CF store price for stock Delco stuff: 84-90 fronts $225. 91-96 fronts $300. All rears $300. Includes shipping in U.S.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Best place for C4 wheel bearings?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best place for C4 wheel bearings?