Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Brake Kits ( BBK ) and Track Use - Brembo Testimonial

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Gary_C
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brake Kits ( BBK ) and Track Use - Brembo Testimonial

TESTIMONIAL

Texas Driving Experience at Texas Motor Speedway has finished another gruelling Public Ride & Drive event utilizing our fleet of C5 Yellow Z06 Corvettes at the TMS Infield Road Course on June 16th 2007. The fleet of 10 race cars are race prepared utilizing Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake Systems.

Over 110 different drivers, with varying road racing experience, completed over 2200 laps on a 7 turn, one mile road course, in the Brembo-equipped Corvettes without a single problem.
“Since our first Brembo test system in 2006, we have had the confidence to go hard all day knowing the rotors and callipers will handle the torture of consistent high temperature without any signs of long pedal, brake fade, shudder, pad knock off, or excessive cracking.”, said TDE Chief Driving Instructor Don Barnes.

“The Brembo Gran Turismo systems have been the winning factor for the " Screamin’ Yellow Vettes " being able to run and complete 12hr events without a single brake issue! “

“Our professional drivers, and customers (with little or no experience), have been able to out-brake most cars at any racetrack with the confidence that the pedal is solid every time.”

Brembo has been a fantastic built product able to exceed any brand on the market. Results speak for themselves and if you look at the following:

Public Ride & Drive June 16, 2007 2200 Miles
Eagle Canyon June 10, 2007 870 Miles
Lone Star Classic May 20, 2007 1600 Miles
Public Ride & Drive May 19, 2007 1800 Miles
Public Ride & Drive April 28, 2007 1850 Miles
Cancer Society April 27, 2007 4575 Miles
Public Ride & Drive March 10, 2007 2100 Miles
Public Ride & Drive Feb 10, 2007 1900 Miles
Public Ride & Drive Jan 20, 2007 1800 Miles
Public Ride & Drive Dec 16, 2006 1700 Miles

Although the above is impressive, Texas Driving Experience also hosts over 10 Corporate events/month which entails the Vettes running on the Infield Road Course, Oval and Roval with both experienced TDE drivers and inexperienced student drivers. Since the installation of Brembo brakes, the systems have been flawless. To match the quality of the Brembo product, the representation and support of Race Technologies has been the final “wow”!

Note: Texas Driving Experience can proudly boast a 100% finishing record of all Brembo equipped Corvette with every event since 2006 which total over 25,000 track miles. First brake pads replaced at 2100 track miles, rotors still look new, no cracks or visible wear.
We are proud to be supported by Brembo and would highly recommend anyone considering brake upgrade anywhere in the world to use Brembo ! !

Yours Sincerely,

Don Barnes
Old 06-21-2007, 07:14 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Care to make me a deal on the rears?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:15 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Can I have a free set?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:42 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

How about giving us some more info on the kits used. Do you have to switch to 18" wheels in the front ? How about costs for the kits and availability. I am seriously thinking of modifying the brakes on my Z06 after last weekend at VIR.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Which GT discs are you using ...slotted?

Which pads .... Brembo (street, race) or Pagid?

Happen to have install instructions for the 345mm GT rears??
Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 AM
gfacter
Pro

If I were to purchase a Brembo kit what sort of gains would I get?

I am getting only about 2 HPDE days with Carbotech XP12 (Race) front pads. And not much more out of the OEM front (drilled) rotors

Will I get 2X the pad life? How much are pads and rotors?

Will the Brembo kit give me significantly more pad and rotor life? Will it help shorten my braking zones?

IMO Ride and drive brake use is nothing like real track use.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched from Wilwood to Brembo GTs 4 weeks ago. Best move of the season. No comparison. Wilwood makes a great product, but for track use the Brembos are unmatched. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bink
Which GT discs are you using ...slotted?

Which pads .... Brembo (street, race) or Pagid?

Happen to have install instructions for the 345mm GT rears??
Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Deleted 07.13.2020
Racer

Originally Posted by snitz
I switched from Wilwood to Brembo GTs 4 weeks ago. Best move of the season. No comparison. Wilwood makes a great product, but for track use the Brembos are unmatched. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any difference between Porsche 996 Turbo Brembo calipers and the ones in the GT kit? The Porsche calipers are 4 piston monoblock design as well.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 06-23-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have Brembos but have upgraded to Stoptechs. You likely won't gain much stopping distance but what you will gain is much improved heat resistance which spells more consistent performance through an extended track session. You'll also likely have improved pedal feel which can instill more confidence in the brakes. Pad life will improve as well over stock C6Z brakes which are notorious for short pad life.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Deleted 07.13.2020
Racer

Originally Posted by jrz1
I don't have Brembos but have upgraded to Stoptechs. You likely won't gain much stopping distance but what you will gain is much improved heat resistance which spells more consistent performance through an extended track session. You'll also likely have improved pedal feel which can instill more confidence in the brakes. Pad life will improve as well over stock C6Z brakes which are notorious for short pad life.
With Brembos my stopping distance improved about 30%
Old 06-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Gary_C
Instructor

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
How about giving us some more info on the kits used. Do you have to switch to 18" wheels in the front ? How about costs for the kits and availability. I am seriously thinking of modifying the brakes on my Z06 after last weekend at VIR.
They used the 14" 4-piston brake kits.
Slotted discs...Ceramic pads...and Yes 18" wheels.

Availability is not a problem as we stock every combination on the shelves. Red, Black or Silver...Drilled or Slotted. ALL IN STOCK.

Same price for any combination listed above. Including specific pad compounds.

Options for the C5 Vette start at $1995.
Options for the C6 Vette start at $2295.

PM me for information on specific applications or to be directed to an Authorized Brembo dealer.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by C6Racer
With Brembos my stopping distance improved about 30%
How? Isn't the limiting factor traction?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Gary_C
Instructor

Originally Posted by gfacter
If I were to purchase a Brembo kit what sort of gains would I get?
Improved braking performance across the board.

-Increased heat capacity to practically eliminate fade and other heat related issues.
-Improved response and consistency of the braking system.
-Improved modulation and control.
-Increased longevity of consumable items (pads & discs)
-Reduction in unsprung and rotational weight.

Most every company who makes a BBK will make claims to most of the performance gains listed above. Brembo shines beyond the rest in most of those categories. The most notable being the longevity of the components and the pedal feel.

Brembo's modulation and pedal feel is going to be the most notable right out of the box. You will end up with a nice high and firm pedal, but fully controllable.
(Many companies will achieve a firm pedal, but not provide any improvements in control and modulation)
You will have complete control over what the brake system is doing from initial application all the way through lock up. If you get a chance to drive multiple systems from other brands on the same platform, this where you will notice the Brembo is best.

Also, Brembo will shine with the longevity of each and every component in the kit.
Brembo's experience in OEM, combined with the extensive homologation process that each and every component endures, guarantees a system that will out last any other on the market. It is not uncommon for the Brembo discs in our kits to outlast the competition by at least two-to-one. This is in comparison to other BBK providers, not OEM.

The only consumable items in our kits are discs and pads. You will NEVER need to replace any hard goods such as hats/bells, brackets, lines, or EVER REBUILD a Brembo caliper as part of routine maintenance. Brembo's extensive testing and homologation process includes a longevity test that continually runs a caliper through a series of no less than 300,000 complete thresh hold braking cycles. That is a minimum of 60mph to 0mph with maximum line pressure through the caliper in simulated road force conditions on a brake dynamometer. No other braking company in existence can boast such extensive R&D and testing of their products.

This is one of the reasons why Brembo is trusted by every top level automobile manufacturer in the world. Combine that with the experience Brembo has earned through domination of every top level racing series for maximum performance and that is what creates the High Performance Division where each and ever Gran Turismo BBK comes from.

I am getting only about 2 HPDE days with Carbotech XP12 (Race) front pads. And not much more out of the OEM front (drilled) rotors
Will I get 2X the pad life? How much are pads and rotors?
Yes. At the very least.

While it is completely dependant upon your driving style, road/track conditions, and vehicle set up, it is not uncommon to see as much a 4 to 5 times the life span of a Brembo BBK as compared to OEM style components.
(OEM is referring to any pads or discs that maintain original OEM sizes/shaped and calipers)

Will it help shorten my braking zones?
Absolutely. And in more ways than one.

Improvements in brake torque while maintaining the proper range of bias for each vehicle can lead to improvements in braking distances.

Reaction time and control over the braking system will also lead to shoter braking zones as you can confidently push the vehicle deeper into the corner. Improved modulation and pedal feel will allow for precise braking (such as trail braking) to help maintain speed and lead to improved exit speeds.

IMO Ride and drive brake use is nothing like real track use.
In most situations I would say that you are correct.
I would be sure to not underestimate the benefits of a quality and well tuned brakes system for highway/road/canyon driving.
The lack of airflow from long straights/cooldown laps, and different types of braking situations can put just as much stress and abuse on a brake system as multiple laps at your local track.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 PM
gfacter
Pro

Thanks for the reply
Old 06-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Gary_C
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
How? Isn't the limiting factor traction?
Yes, traction/tires, are the limiting factor in braking distances.

The improvement in braking distances will be much more dramatic with those of you who have increase your wheel and tire sizes.

While it is one of the more extreme examples, R-compound tires on 10 and 11 inch wheels will have much more grip that the OEM tires on a stock C6 ZO6. The increase in brake torque while maintaining or improving the range of bias will help take full advantage of this increased grip leading to dramatic improvements in braking distances.

While a full 30% is a bit dramatic and maybe exagerated, other contributing factors would be the initial bite of a more aggressive pad compound, response from stiffer caliper and braided lines, and maybe a tiny bit of "seat of pants" excitement.

Last edited by Gary_C; 06-26-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Brake Kits ( BBK ) and Track Use - Brembo Testimonial

Old 06-26-2007, 06:44 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary, I sent you a PM a week ago.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:48 PM
gfacter
Pro

Your website is confusing,

What part # kit do you recommnd for a 07 Z51 C6?

10-12 HPDE's a year, I am using carbotech Xp12/XP10 pads

How much are the rotors alone?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Deleted 07.13.2020
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary_C
Yes, traction/tires, are the limiting factor in braking distances.

The improvement in braking distances will be much more dramatic with those of you who have increase your wheel and tire sizes.

While it is one of the more extreme examples, R-compound tires on 10 and 11 inch wheels will have much more grip that the OEM tires on a stock C6 ZO6. The increase in brake torque while maintaining or improving the range of bias will help take full advantage of this increased grip leading to dramatic improvements in braking distances.

While a full 30% is a bit dramatic and maybe exagerated other contributing factors would be the initial bite of a more aggressive pad compound, response from stiffer caliper and braided lines, and maybe a tiny bit of "seat of pants" excitement.
Well, 355 mm front and 345 rear rotors, monoblock GTR 4 piston calipers, Hawk HT14 and HT10 pads makes that much of the difference.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Kits ( BBK ) and Track Use - Brembo Testimonial