Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 AutoX alignment vs. wider tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 PM
jjherman3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 AutoX alignment vs. wider tires

I have a 2006 C6 Z06 and was wanting to upgrade to larger rubber all around. I am running Hoosier A6's in the stock sizes and have the stock alignment. I was wondering what is better: changing the camber/toe/caster settings or going with wider tires? Or a combination of the two? The stock sizes are front 275/35/18 rear 325/30/19.

I drive the car to events and tow a trailer for the tires. I would like a "street friendly" alignment setup, but also want to be competitive somewhat.

Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated.
Jeff
Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

This is sort of a trick question. Wider tires and better alignment are obviously going to make it faster than just one or the other. I actually would go for the alignment without a doubt. It will promote more even tire wear while performing much better. You would be surprised what you can get away with and still have good street wear provided you don't absolutely baby it every where. I have a very aggressive autox alignment on my C5 Z06 and get even tire wear daily driving it. I just make sure that every corner it is safe to do so, I take somewhat aggressively.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

This issue has been pretty much flogged to death....

You can run an aggressive alignment with respect to camber and not kill your tires on the street. It is the toe out that you use on the track that kills you tire mileage on the street.

Have you shop align the car with about 1/8 inch of total toe in and mark the tie rods with a splash of red paint, then, when you change to your track tires turn the tie rods one full turn each of toe out and run that way on the track. That will give you decent turn in and when you change back to street tires return it to the original (marked) positons.

I have 18,000 street miles on my OE Goodyears on my 04 Z and they are pretty much done, but so what....

And yes the inside did show more wear than outside but what do you care
Old 06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

You can also flip the street tires on the rims at about 10,000 miles if you are so inclined, that will even up the wear and max the life

Last edited by Solofast; 06-26-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:51 AM
poser
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjherman3

I drive the car to events and tow a trailer for the tires.
Jeff
any more info/pics of your trailer hitch setup??? i need to find a way to get my tires to the track...

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 AutoX alignment vs. wider tires

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 AutoX alignment vs. wider tires