Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TWS Viper Days

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:06 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TWS Viper Days

Here are a couple laps from an early Saturday session during last weekend's Viper Days at TWS. This is the white run group.

As my comment on the video indicates, it took the Viper drivers a couple sessions to learn the line and put all that HP to use.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...88225240386592

Spent Friday with Lou in his Driver's Clinic and the rest of the weekend chasing Vipers. Hard to beat that for real fun!

John
Old 06-28-2007, 02:39 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll second that. The weekend was a blast. If you have the chance, go run with the Viper guys. It's a real shift in perspective when EVERYTHING on the track has more HP than you. Except the few bracve SRT4s that came out.

Had about 7-8 Corvettes there, including (of course) Lou's Z06 on Friday and John Page (21st century musclecars) on Sat and Sun. John is very, very fast in that car, but had some sort of mechanical that cut his weekend off a bit. Lou is, very simply, real fast. Was great fun riding with him for a couple laps.

The event itself was broken up in standard DE fashion into run groups (green, blue, white and red) with the red group being the race group. Those guys actually raced on Saturday and Sunday, which was fun to watch. Rain killed the last session on both Saturday and Sunday, but that's the breaks in Texas in the summer.

There are loads of fast vipers, and some not so fast. It's good to see a community of sportscar owners that comes to the track. Safer too, since the viper driven by someone not prepared for it is quite a weapon.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

I ran with them here in april of '06. great group and venue. your vid title is very fitting--running with those guys, it comes down to line and braking.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Viper days runs a great event I have run with them for 3 years at vir...no time this year NCM and chin backing up next week for 4 days

Gump
Old 06-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was working corner 13 both days, so if you got black flagged, it was me!

Some of the Archer cars were pretty fast, some of the novice cars...not so much.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:27 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by JohnD60
Here are a couple laps from an early Saturday session during last weekend's Viper Days at TWS. This is the white run group.

As my comment on the video indicates, it took the Viper drivers a couple sessions to learn the line and put all that HP to use.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...88225240386592

Spent Friday with Lou in his Driver's Clinic and the rest of the weekend chasing Vipers. Hard to beat that for real fun!

John

John,

It was good to meet you. Glad you had a good time. But it is hard not to have a good time at the race track.

thanks again for coming.

Lou Gigliotti LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Greg T Smith
7th Gear

That was the white group? ouch.

Lou, can you ride with students or not?

Last edited by Greg T Smith; 07-02-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Greg T Smith
That was the white group? ouch.

Lou, can you ride with students or not?

I use to but now I take the students for a ride in their own cars. Most of the time that helps more than if I try to explain what I would do.

Last year at TWS at the LG CLinic at the Viper days, I was riding with a student who was sure he could go through the kink flat out until he went off track and almost rolled with me in the car. So I don't do that any more.

Actually I would rather just drive a students car ar 80% to show them what I am talking about.

Thanks for the interest. I am not sure when the next one will be. The Corvette community doesn't seem to participate in the clinics. I usually have BMW, Porsche and Viper drivers fill the class.

I did have 3 Forum members at TWS this time though and the class was small so we had plenty of track time and I drove every student's car but one.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Greg T Smith
7th Gear

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
I use to but now I take the students for a ride in their own cars. Most of the time that helps more than if I try to explain what I would do.

The Corvette community doesn't seem to participate in the clinics. I usually have BMW, Porsche and Viper drivers fill the class.
I think the drive the students car thing works for beginner and intermediate drivers, but not for advanced drivers. I'm at the point where I need to pick up 1/2 second here and 1/2 second there, I think in car instruction is the only way to do that(although corner watching does work to an extent). Lets face it, no student is going to able to memorize everything about your entire lap/s.

PS-You can throw me into that BMW category .

Get notified of new replies

To TWS Viper Days

Quick Reply: TWS Viper Days