Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Coating Should I Use to Refinish BBK Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Coating Should I Use to Refinish BBK Calipers?

This is for Stoptech ST60 calipers. They are currently red and I would like to change that. I was thinking black, but now leaning yellow as I see so many sweet looking exotics with that color and they would really stand out behind my black CCWs(even though yellow may not hold up quite as well on the track when I go for HPDE).

Anyway, I am not sure what I should get them coated with. I really don't want to have to teardown/rebuild them as they were just done before I got them. I have a can of VHT caliper yellow, but it is not like the black I have used before and very thin and I am having a hard time getting it to stick well. My other ideas were powercoating or having them anodized like Wilwoods.

I know anodizing would not hold the heat in like the other 2, but for a caliper this big, does that really matter or are their better options out there? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I think powder coating would be the most durable, although you can get ceramic coating in color now, but expensive either way you would have to tear down the calipers which you don't want to do. But I can tell you one thing, if you just spray over the red powder coating the paint will be gone after one or two events. I've tried to paint my stock calipers red over the stock powder coating and it lasted one weekend, and the paint was burned off. You would have to blast the powder coating off, but I still can't tell you if they will hold up to the heat. I would try having them coated.
Here is a company I work with in WI, they did all of the valve covers for the Ford GT as well as motorcycle frames for Buhle. I've had great results from them.
http://www.classiccoatings.com/
Old 07-01-2007, 04:01 AM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

A ceramic coating would hold the heat in too though right? I was thinking the finish might hold up better if it let the heat dissapate like the anodized Wilwoods.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 AM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Take a look at this

VHT® Brake & Caliper paint :

These paints withstand temperatures up to 950F using proper application an curing.
Use these paints to give you brake calipers and brake drums that show car look!

Available in the colors:
SP-731 REAL RED
SP-732 BRIGHT BLUE
SP-733 REAL ORANGE
SP-734 GLOSS BLACK
SP-735 CAST ALUMINUM
SP-738 BRIGHT YELLOW
SP-739 SATIN BLACK

$8.99/ 11 Oz. Can
Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lbarnard
VHT® Brake & Caliper paint :
I have a can that in black, yellow, and clear too. I was leaning that way, but wanted to check and see if there was a better way.

Get notified of new replies

To What Coating Should I Use to Refinish BBK Calipers?

Quick Reply: What Coating Should I Use to Refinish BBK Calipers?