Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer rental

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:18 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Trailer rental

Has anyone every rented a trailer from Uhaul, any pros or cons.

Thanks Nando
Old 07-07-2007, 07:08 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

I have used them several times. The bad part is that you can't always get one. When I used them it was $29 per day no mileage as they could not monitor that.
It's nice if you can get one of the aluminium ones.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:13 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Some of the franchise stores may not rent a trailer to you if you say you are going to haul a Vette. Even though a Corvette will fit on their trailers (you may have to use some lengths of 2x12's to get the car up without scraping), some places are funny about what cars they will allow to be carried. You could just tell them you are hauling something else.

Carefully inspect the straps they provide. Most of them are the style that goes over the front wheels but there should be D-rings you can use for your own ratchet straps. BTW, straps should have a 10,000 lb capacity; this gives them a working load limit (WLL) of 3300 lbs. That is what most people consider as the minimum rating for car tie-downs.

Some stores will not rent a car trailer alone unless you have something like a 3/4 ton pickup. I tried to rent a trailer from U-Haul once and they told me my 99 Silverado Z71 was too small. It's rated for 8000lbs but they were adamant about it. Of course they offered to renr me one of their trucks.

One thing that scares me about the U-Haul trailers is how good (or bad) a job the location does on maintenance. I have see nearly bald tires, rust all over the older steel trailers and I would worry about the condition of the brakes. Their trailers have surge brakes and IMHO are not as good as trailers with electric brakes connected to your trailer brake controller.

The aluminum trailers are better in terms of weight and they are newer but some stores don't give you a chance to specifiy; you get the one the lot boy pulls out to connect to your truck.

Ont thing that I have figured out about U-Haul is that the franchise stores can usually set their own policy over the coroprate rules. For example, my local U-Haul store won't rent small enclosed trailers for local use but the U-Haul website has no such limitation. The store manager says they are for one-way only which seems pretty stupid. but if you go to a self-storage facility that has U-Haul equipment, most of those will do anything you want.

So check around at different places to get what you need and you may even find price differences.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

They now charge $50/day. The trailers work fine and are easy to use. The newer aluminum ones are much better than the old steel ones.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:42 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the biggest CON to renting a U-Haul trailer is the $50. You can get to $200 for the weekend pretty quick. I had a in with a dealer for a short while and could get one for $50 a weekend. I now have a feather-lite that I use for my Z.

You can get a steel trailer for under two grand if you look.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:20 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys, I have a landrover LR3 should it should be cool.
Thanks again
Old 07-07-2007, 06:34 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rented one of their motorcycle trailers once. It blew out both tires after about 1000 miles. I have tried dealing with U-haul numerous times, all have been horrible experiences. They will never get another dime of my money.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A slight drawback - the steel UHaul trailers weigh 2700 pounds.... add your car and you are at 6000... Plenty of road-hugging weight
Old 07-07-2007, 07:42 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate uhaul. its run by a bunch of idiots.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You can rent trailers from places other than U Haul. I rented a trailer from a local trailer dealer for a couple of years before I bought a trailer from him.

Bill
Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Also try equipment rental places. There is place around here that has 4 open wheel trailers that they rent. Much better shape than any U-Haul trailer I have ever seen and they don't really car what car you haul. Costs about $30 per day.

You have to rent the tie-downs from them as they have a variety of styles (web and chain) based on the vehicle being hauled but the web straps are rated for 12K lbs and are checked carefully before each use.

Sometimes buying your own trailer solves the problems with finding a rental for when you need it. If you do a search on "trailer" in thei section you will find lots of information.

Some people have mentioned this company and they are located in PA. They are supposed to be reasonable priced so it might be worth looking into (there is another company by the same name in New York and their website URL uses "econotrailers ).

Last edited by c4cruiser; 07-08-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 AM
JoJo_Duder
Instructor

Default New Question About Hauling A Vette

So we kind of covered renting a flatbed trailer from uhaul here. Do ANY companies offer truck rentals where you can actually store the vette in the back (drive your car into the storage area or whatever its called). I may be moving across country, i do not have a truck to haul my vette with, and have a few other things to move also, big tv, lazy boy and that should be it. Is there anything like this i can rent, AT THE CHEAPEST POSSIBLE PRICE. Thank you, this has been bothering, and dont want to drive 2000 miles twice and put mile on the vette. thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 AM
J.K. Cooley
Instructor

I have trailers for rent.....My equipment is new/ well maintained........weekend rentals/rates available...I'm at 08554....near the PA/NJ Turnpike Bridge

--my full deck steel trailer weighs 1,920 lbs
-- trailer details link on webpage

Last edited by J.K. Cooley; 04-04-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer rental

Quick Reply: Trailer rental