Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking brake shoe sticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:00 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake shoe sticking

For a while, one of my parking brake shoes (2002 c5) was sticking when I removed the passenger rear rotor. It was bad enough, that the shoe would pop off with the rotor. After that happening a half dozen or so times, I yanked the shoe, spring, and end pieces and didn't have one for a while. Well, I finally got around to ordering a new shoe (figured the one one had bent or something, and when swapping brakes after the NCM event, guess what?!?!?! The damn thing stuck again. I yanked on it for a good five minutes before getting it off. I could rotate it fine, just not pull it off. The driver's side is fine. The adjuster was as loose as it gets. The point that was sticking is the outboard edge at the end of the shoe (know that because that's where pulling it off chipped some material from).

Does anyone have suggestions on what to replace? Thanks! Full StopTech BBK is not the answer I'm looking for!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

John, if you get a socket big enough to fit the axle nut (33 or34mm) and with the car in neutral, turn the ratchet with the socket clockwise (or counter clockwise, I forget which way) the rotor spins right off and the shoe never get hung up. I didn't believe it until I saw it done a few years ago and I've done it that way everytime since and have never had another problem.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
John, if you get a socket big enough to fit the axle nut (33 or34mm) and with the car in neutral, turn the ratchet with the socket clockwise (or counter clockwise, I forget which way) the rotor spins right off and the shoe never get hung up. I didn't believe it until I saw it done a few years ago and I've done it that way everytime since and have never had another problem.
Nice - will give it a try! I'm still wondering what's causing the problem in the first place... (damn engineer asking the why's again!)

Get notified of new replies

To parking brake shoe sticking

Quick Reply: parking brake shoe sticking