Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open race track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:54 AM
mrbradman
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open race track?

Hi, I live in St. Louis, and feel like taking a nice long weekend, and maybe visiting a roadcourse to drive around on, but I have no idea of any open around me that would allow me to just drive on without having a group function or such. So if you have any tracks that are open within a few hundred miles of St. Louis, I'd love to learn about them. Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 06:36 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

St Louis Internatinal Gateway is the nearest road course to you

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Gatew...tional_Raceway

Other tracks, Putnam Park - West of Indy
Black Hawk Farms - Rockford Ill
Road America - Elkart Lake WI
Mid America - west side of Iowa
Hallet Motorspeedway - Ok
To name a few

Most events or road coruse are put on my car clubs. Audi, PCA, BMW and so forth. They do allow other makes to participate.

Events tend to sell out months in advance, so the idea of just showing up and driving not likley to happen.

The idea of driving without a group function is slim to none do to insurance are liabilty reasons. Even OPEN track events do have some instruction and rules.

I am sure some of our midwest ppl will chime in with events.

Good Luck

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-11-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 AM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbradman
Hi, I live in St. Louis, and feel like taking a nice long weekend, and maybe visiting a roadcourse to drive around on, but I have no idea of any open around me that would allow me to just drive on without having a group function or such. So if you have any tracks that are open within a few hundred miles of St. Louis, I'd love to learn about them. Thanks
http://www.trackschedule.com/sched.html

This lists events East of the Mississippi. Google the tracks that interest you.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:35 AM
O.T.A.
Instructor

www.opentrackaction.com lists the tracks by state or region. Just click on the "Schedules" tab and select your state or any combination of search criteria.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

VERY FEW tracks have open test days, especially for street cars. CMP here in NC has some, but they still put an instructor in the car with you.

"driving around" on a road course just doesn't happen. People will get faster, and faster, and faster, then before you know if disaster strikes. You need the safety and structure of a club or company sponsored event.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
threewinmag
Racer

Kansas City BMW club is hosting a DE at Heartland Park on the 11th and 12th of August. It'll have a new configuration and be the first club to drive it. It's a technical, smooth track with all new asphalt and paddock. I think the website is www.kcbmwclub.org
Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Not sure about other tracks but Watkins Glen has a lunch time event where you pay to get 3 laps following the pace car around the track. They do it for individuals and groups that show up at the gates. They do this on the same days that other groups are holding schools and are taking their lunch time break. You can call ahead to see what days they are offering the event.

The same may be true for tracks in your area especially if they are owned by ISC or are associated with NASCAR.

Bill
Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
VERY FEW tracks have open test days, especially for street cars. CMP here in NC has some, but they still put an instructor in the car with you.

"driving around" on a road course just doesn't happen. People will get faster, and faster, and faster, then before you know if disaster strikes. You need the safety and structure of a club or company sponsored event.
Apparently I'm used to driving with a more talented or responsible crowd than you've been used to. Prior to my move from the midwest, I frequently (2-3 times per month) used to go to a somewhat local track for open tune and test days and evenings. No club, and no company sponsor. The track people oversaw the operation, and it was very well run. It's my hope I can find a regional track down here that is run even remotely as well as that track was.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:53 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, MI has evening test and tune dates on their schedule. Mostly Wednesday & Thursday nights. It's getting more restrictive, but you can still run your car with a helmet and a few simple rules.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:15 PM
mrbradman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 69427
Apparently I'm used to driving with a more talented or responsible crowd than you've been used to. Prior to my move from the midwest, I frequently (2-3 times per month) used to go to a somewhat local track for open tune and test days and evenings. No club, and no company sponsor. The track people oversaw the operation, and it was very well run. It's my hope I can find a regional track down here that is run even remotely as well as that track was.
Where exactly in the midwest did you do this at?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbradman
Where exactly in the midwest did you do this at?
Hint: UstaB-GS549
Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 PM
JohnnyB51
Instructor

The SCCA had a Performance Driving Experience (PDX) at Gateway on June 3. They will have another on Aug. 25.

It was a very well run event and everyone who participated had a good time.

If you are interested, go to www.stlscca.org for details. There will be several Vettes there, including mine.

John
Old 07-14-2007, 03:47 AM
mrbradman
7th Gear

So the closest open track is Michigan? Im honestly not opposed to going out there to try it, but if there is another closer track that operates the same way (test and tune nights) I would love to hear about them.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:35 PM
JohnnyB51
Instructor

Gateway is in your backyard! It's right across the river in Madison, IL. It has a road course in the infield that uses part of the oval. Not the greatest layout, but still had fun.

Come on out Aug. 25.

Next closest track is probably Putnam Park in Indiana.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

The closest track that you can just show up and drive on is the Nuremburgring. I know of no track in the US that will let you go flat out without a race license and a rental of about $4-15K per day or with a group under some kind of control. I'll bet the one in Michigan has lots of rules...Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Open race track?

Quick Reply: Open race track?