Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you autocross before your vette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 AM
07C6TOY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did you autocross before your vette?

Hello all,

I'm looking into getting into autocross, but dont want to start with the vette. I just got my first corvette, and want to keep the warranty good on it for a while. Also, since I'm just getting into racing, I want to start out small and work my way up to the vette. I was talking to a friend who autocrosses and he recommended the Porsche 944. That is what he started out with and still drives and performs pretty well. I am looking for less than $5000 for the car and any fixes to bring it up to good stock condition.

What cars did all of you start out on before you moved to the corvette?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:28 AM
90Z51
Racer

I autocrossed a 95 M3. It's a bit over the $5000 mark, but you could find a NON-M E36 bmw to start with. They're pretty competent handlers and they have a huge aftermarket.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have run my TA at Road Atlanta. You can get F-bodys pretty cheap, and plenty of aftermarket suspension upgrades. Handling on my TA is not far off from my Z06 as best as I can tell thru curves around here. Higher center of gravity and more weight are noticeable, but man the TA corners well with upgrades (see sig).
Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Mistubishi Eclipse in ESP and later SM. Then a Miata in CS and CSP.

The Miata was a great bang for the buck, and they still are. I will probably buy another someday.They were the easiest car to work on (other than oil filter location) and very inexpensive.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1995 Talon Turbo in GS, ESP, and SM
1999 Miata in CS

Dave G.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Miata would be a nice car to start with and you get a fun little sports car to drive at the same time. Do you have a particular class you want to start with? Stock or modified?

Staying in a stock class will help keep the costs down as it could wind up taking lots of money to run a modified car to stay competitive. When you attend auto-x events, ask other competitors why they chose what they did. See who is runing the fastest in the class or calsses you are interested in and what cars they are driving.

There's no reason why you can't use the Vette as a Novice just to get started. It won't hurt the car and you will definitely appreciate the handling the car is capable of and the fun you will get from it.

The best thing you can do in autocross is to get seat time. Lots of practice, more practice, and even ask experienced drivers to help you. You will find that many organizations will have practice sessions or occasional school days.

Did I mention getting seat time??
Old 07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, to expand a little. The '99 Miata I ran was a great autox car. It's powerless, but handles good, cheap and extremely reliable. I put 40k miles on it (had 90k when I sold it), ran a huge number of events in it over the 4 years I owned it with minimal problems.

I did break the rear end in it once, but that was from running Pro Solo events. It broke in Topeka, probably from getting some decent wheel hop that weekend, so I wouldn't take that as the norm.

They're not as competitive as they used to be with the Solstice in CS now, but it would still be a good starter car and competitive on any level other than national.

Dave G.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

A smaller, more nimble car with less power will likely make you a better driver sooner.

Having a lot of power can lead to bad habits and sometimes lends itself to slowing down more for corners. Smaller lower powered cars rely on maintaning speed (not slowing down as much) and that is one of the key critical areas needed to be successful in autocross.

The Miata is a good choice since it is rear wheel drive (front drivers aren't as much fun IMO) and if you want to move up to faster rear drive cars it's a better idea not to bother with fwd in the first place.

Not to say that a well set up front drive isn't fast in an autocross, I just don't enjoy them as much.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:41 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

I would think you'd want to try a few events with the Vette to get a fix on where you are, develop some entry level skills, and see how much you like the sport--rather than spend $5K or so on another car. You're not going to hurt the Vette especially.

What the guys have to say about the Miata and F Body is perfectly accurate, though.

I started out running a MINI Cooper S, FWIW.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S2000
Old 07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I started with an 86 Corvette. I wouldn't worry about voiding the warranty while autocrossing. Autocrossing is a low speed type of activity with max speeds approaching 60 mph but with most speeds in the 20 to 30 mph range. The first few events the only thing that will get damaged is your tire tread. The only change you will make to your car is using some white shoe polish to write your car number and class on the windshield.

There is no perfect car to start with since switching from car to car presents its own challenges. Starting with your Vette is not going to get you in over your head or cause you to do something wrong. Besides why would you want to invest in an old car that is far outdated by the newer Corvettes and even when new couldn't compete against the early C4 cars.

Bill
Old 07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

One of those scooters for fat old people.

You would be amazed how fast these get up and go if you are less than 180 lbs.

Special bonus----after the event I got back on, no tire changes, no nothing. Drove right into a supermarket, didn't stop in the parking lot or anything. Went directly to the check out with my 2 bottles of Gatorade----sailed through like a breeze.

Only problem that really sucked is that it took me 4 hours to go home about 15 miles from the site. (recharging is a b itch)
Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Although I started out with a '94 Z-28, here's my vote for the Miata, as well. They've been around long enough to get one inexpensively, they're a blast to drive on a course, and maintenance isn't that expensive.

I also agree you won't do any real harm to your Vette other than your tires, but frankly if it's worrying you now you won't be able to enjoy the sport as much once you start getting up to speed.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-11-2007, 06:56 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

Started with a '90 Civic Si in HS. Then went to a '95 EX in SM. Had a lot of success with both cars.

Then I started autocrossing a '99 FRC, absolutely loved it, but thought I wanted to get into the road racing thing, so I bought a Spec Miata. Absolutely hated the car, and had no fun whatsoever.

I'd love to get into a T1/T2/AS/ITE car someday soon, but we'll see what happens. Right now I'm content running a 2002 Z06, or the '72 BSP car.

I loved both Hondas, especially my '95 coupe that I raced. I had a lot of motor and suspension work into the car, and regularly battled for overall FTD's in my SCCA region. BUT a Honda would NOT be the way to go if you plan on eventually running the Corvette. FWD vs. RWD, it's like re-learning how to drive all over again. The miata is an OK choice, no guts to it though, so you don't really get to learn how to drive the car with the throttle like you do occasionally with the Corvette.

Just my .02

Last edited by BFoster; 07-11-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Diesel68
Instructor

I ran a 98 Mustang Gt in SM. Lots of fun and easy to work on. Plus it had that underdog aura. It wasn't easy to learn to drive, but with a few tweaks it was a hell of a lot fun kickin some Corvette booty with a fancy Fairmont suspension. My experience with that car made it easy to jump into a Corvette.

Stick to something with a V8 and rear wheel drive. You want to learn how to control power delivery and catching the tail. I let a Miata guy drive my Z06 once and he tried to drive it like he didn't have 405 ponies on tap. It didn't take him long to spin it...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started with a non-Z06 C5. Great car to learn on, I still wish there was a class for it to be competitive within. Tires are less expensive than the Z and the cars can be had for bargain prices too. Switching to the Z06 was easy once I had learned the C5. FWIW.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

started in a c4, now just starting again in a c5.

if you are really set on getting a second car, i would vote for a miata. it will make it easier to switch to the vette if you are coming from a front engine rear drive car (miata or otherwise).

ive also got to agree with the people saying drive the vette. seat time is the best way to improve but, at least imo, it is also to get you familar with your car. with the c4, i was able to get every last bit i could out of it (because of ~35 autocrosses a year) and even though it only had nicer stock brakes and race tires, i would run well enough people thought i had a lot of work done to the car. i also agree that driving a car with some grunt can be good to learn in too. most people who have driven my car coming from 4 cyl cars step out and the first thing they say it that its got a lot of power for them to get use to.

hope some of this rambling post helps. no matter what you choose, you should have fun, autocrossing is always a good time.

lane

Get notified of new replies

To What did you autocross before your vette?

Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
07C6TOY
Advanced

I have a couple reasons for not running the vette. The main reason is that I eventually plan on getting into road racing. So I want to learn to autocross in the same car I would use for road racing, and don't feel like denting up the vette in road racing.

When you guys autocross the vette, do you have to worry about scratches, marks, or dents from hitting a cone? I would hate to take the car out and mark it up a ton while learning to control it.

For the Miata people. How tall are you? I'm 6'4" without shoes and would be worried about not being able to fit very well. Should this be a concern with the Miata?

Thanks for all the posts guys.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:26 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Started in my Z. The fastest car I'd ever owned before my Z was an '89 240SX (automagic) and I had no car racing experience. I did spend a lot of time racing jacked-up 4x4's through the mud and sand which I think helped some.

I agree with most above that a Miate is a great affordable car. But, I see absolutely no reason why you can't get a great start in your Vette. Only push as hard as you're comfortable with and I think in 4 or 5 events you'll find yourself making great progress, and enjoying having a fast car to run.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by talon95
1995 Talon Turbo in GS, ESP, and SM
1999 Miata in CS

Dave G.
Now I think I recognize this name.

You ran a 99 PEP, not the standard issue 99 sport right?

Tom R

Quick Reply: What did you autocross before your vette?