Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 on center squishiness?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Norm_05_ GTO
00 C5, 05 CTS-V
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 on center squishiness?

Non-corvette owners can pick it up on the road course and I have have really noticed it on the back stretch at VIR. My CTS-V does it on the same place. It is probably done for nvh. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Norm
Old 07-11-2007, 01:38 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm_05_ GTO
Non-corvette owners can pick it up on the road course and I have have really noticed it on the back stretch at VIR. My CTS-V does it on the same place. It is probably done for nvh. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Norm
well a fix might be a new rack from a 2008 c6
the problem (if all is well) is that the rack has a torsion bar which twists inorder to accutate the hydralic boost (power steering) notice when you turn your wheel and the engine is off it has a bit of slop.
This isn't there with a manual rack and the new C6 has a stiffer torsion bar and tighter tolerances.
if it makes you feel any better I noticed it on the back straight too
Old 07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks,

Norm
Norm

Exactly where on the back straight?? south course time towner, Creast of the hill, braking zone??

then I might be able to help you out as to what it is.

Also how fast, and what RPMs at that place?? and what are your alignment specs?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Norm_05_ GTO
00 C5, 05 CTS-V
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably leading up the second to last crest. It is an unsettleing feeling at first that after a few times gets ignored. Both my stock C5 and CTS-V do it at the same place which is top of 4th at around 130mph or so. I see the T1 setup for the C5 replaces the upper control arm which looks the same but might have stiffer bushings.

Norm
Old 07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The T1 setup replaces the upper and lower control arms with units that have stiffer bushings. I doubt that will change your on center feel. I have been track driving C5s for 10 years now and have yet to feel what you are describing.

Bill
Old 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Probably leading up the second to last crest. It is an unsettleing feeling at first that after a few times gets ignored. Both my stock C5 and CTS-V do it at the same place which is top of 4th at around 130mph or so. I see the T1 setup for the C5 replaces the upper control arm which looks the same but might have stiffer bushings.

Norm
Aerodynamic lift is causing this problem at that point, too much air under the hood and under car. Need greater downforce,(Lower nose of car slightly. )

keep right foot on the floor, brake at the TWO marker, up that slight incline, turn left, brake hard, downshift to 3th gear, wait, hard right and down hill, put foot to floor.

HTH
Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soft a-arm bushings don't help. The T1 arms feel like what the car should have shipped with, it's a nice upgrade with no noise/maintenance hassles.

Adding a little front toe out (or less toe in) will also help that.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 on center squishiness?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 on center squishiness?