Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those Darn HPDE rubber marks

Old 07-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those Darn HPDE rubber marks

This is a very important thread (tongue in cheek). Obviously, my car is not a garage queen because I have not cleaned it since the Chin 7/4 & 7/5 event and then a Summit Point FATT yesterday.

I just looked at my car sitting in the garage and got depressed thinking about all the hard rubbing I am going to have to do to clean off those HPDE rubber marks. There must be an easier way-any ideas?

Thanks, Geoff
Old 07-14-2007, 01:14 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Geoff17
This is a very important thread (tongue in cheek). Obviously, my car is not a garage queen because I have not cleaned it since the Chin 7/4 & 7/5 event and then a Summit Point FATT yesterday.

I just looked at my car sitting in the garage and got depressed thinking about all the hard rubbing I am going to have to do to clean off those HPDE rubber marks. There must be an easier way-any ideas?

Thanks, Geoff
Zaino takes em right off

I couldn't believe how well it works
Old 07-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Recommend using a product called "REJEX" - They are also a sponsor for the National Auto Sport Association (NASA) Mid-Atlantic Chapter - here's their link:

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 07-14-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Acetone (nail polish remover).

Brake parts cleaner. This is what I use on my race car. No rubbing required.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:59 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Use your clay bar. Works easily and won't scratch if used as directed.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:25 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

rejex will take it off with little to no rubbing and you're waxing the car at the same time. wash it first so all that is remaining is the rubber marks. then use a clean towel with a dab of rejex (frankly, any wax would probably work) and constantly rotate the towel to ensure you're using a clean spot instead of just rubbing the black all over the car. It's easy to get it off.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:05 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Eagle tar/bug remover. It is safe for clear coat and takes the rubber off in a simple swip. No more rubbing your brains out. I use it on the whole front end for years and no bad effects, but it will remove the wax.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Windex works better than anything else
try it
Old 07-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

gasoline...you barely have to rub, just a simple wipe...of course, immediately wash the car afterwards. It truly is the easiest method.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Stoners, the people that make the super glass cleaner, makes a product called Tarminator. Dumb name - great product.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:24 PM
GreyGT-C
Racer

i wax the HELL out of my cars before any HPDE and then clean up the rubber marks afterwards with Eagle Bug/tar remover. I then rewax the areas that i had to remove the rubber from..
Old 07-14-2007, 08:02 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C6400hp
Windex works better than anything else
try it
I don't know, Goof Off works pretty damn well.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:32 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Go to Home Depot and ask for "goo gone" in the paint deparment. Works great on everything from rubber marks to taking the sitcky stuff off of old decal areas. Does not hurt the paint in any way. Goof-off and nail polish remover will also harm the paint. Another item that you can use but takes more time is WD-40 or CRC.

Last edited by racerbob4; 07-15-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:25 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

I've tried Windex, Goo-Gone, most bug and tar removers available at Auto-Zone, but the best product I have used is 3M Adhesive Remover (also available at Advance / Auto Zone). Rubber marks wipe right off. This stuff also makes quick work of old decal adhesive, and also easily takes off that stubborn sticky residue left on by race tape and other protective films.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedLS6
This stuff also makes quick work of old decal adhesive, and also easily takes off that stubborn sticky residue left on by race tape and other protective films.
Mayo is also great for taking off decal adhesive....yes, I said mayo, it works, try it.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:07 AM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WD-40 works great and won't hurt the paint. Spray on leave for a minute and take a dry towel wipe off.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

I've been using WD-40 for many years at the track. Also, the sooner you remove the marks, the easier it is. I do it between sessions and before the car goes into the trailer. If you take the car home from the track and leave it sit for a couple of days, the marks will be much harder to remove.

Get notified of new replies

To Those Darn HPDE rubber marks

Old 07-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, 16 replys and about 12 different suggestions-my favorite is the mayo-I definitely need to try this one-ever wonder what the first person who tried this was thinking? I will try all (or at least most) and report back.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:19 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Geoff17
Wow, 16 replys and about 12 different suggestions-my favorite is the mayo-I definitely need to try this one-ever wonder what the first person who tried this was thinking? I will try all (or at least most) and report back.

Thanks everyone!
It is time for one of the car mags to run a controlled test on all the products recommended! Mayo?? Hope you had good experience at VIR, there were a lot of reports of 4 offs, dents and dings and some pictures on Forum; a bunch of us that were at the NCM event at VIR are going to Road Atlanta NASA Aug 11 & 12....interested? How was Summit Point?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
It is time for one of the car mags to run a controlled test on all the products recommended! Mayo?? Hope you had good experience at VIR, there were a lot of reports of 4 offs, dents and dings and some pictures on Forum; a bunch of us that were at the NCM event at VIR are going to Road Atlanta NASA Aug 11 & 12....interested? How was Summit Point?
Hey Art, You and I spoke on 7/4 right after I arrived, you were getting ready to leave with the NCM folks and introduced me to Short Throw. VIR was great, my first visit. Dr. Chin and I had a few hot laps together, man he and his NSX can fly but I did get a pass bye, at least for a few laps (thanks for the instruction Jim {jrz1}).

The off roads that occurred were pretty serious from the car damage stand point but luckily no one was hurt. I think we had a totaled M3 driven by an instructor?? and a totaled older Porsche (944 I think) driven by a Chin Senior Instructor (????). Also a young dude in his C5 Z06 hit a tire wall. He ripped off the damaged panels and kept racing-you have to love it!!

Give me a PM and let me know where you are-we have to be close neighbors.

Summit was great as always. That track is perfect for me, an hour+ away, even I can go fast there and I understand the Mayo really works great in the mountain air!!!

Can't do RA but will be at VIR for the Car Guys event 8/4 & 5 and looking into the Chin November VIR event-of course will be at all the Summit FATT events.

Thanks Geoff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Those Darn HPDE rubber marks