Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk Pads for C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hawk Pads for C5 Z06

I'm ready to change to a set of Hawk pads over the OEM for my 2004 Z06. I use it 70/30 autoX/street and want better hard braking into corners.

I've found several places the offer the pads but it is a little confusing.

Some places specify Hawk HPS pads, some Hawk HP+. But from my investigation I have found the same part numbers of HB247.575 and HB248.650

Can anyone comment on this? Is there a difference? If so I can't seem to see a different part #.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:11 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The box of rear HP Plus pads I have say:

Part Number: HB248N.650
D732
HP PLUS

Club/Autocross Brake Pads
Old 07-14-2007, 09:25 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The HPS pad is a less agressive material. I have the HP+ pad on my Z06 and it makes a slight squeel when the brakes are applied sometimes. I had the HPS on the C4 and it didn't do that.

Word here was HP+ is just a cut above a stock Z06 pad, with resistance to higher temps. They did fine at VIR.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:41 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

HP+ s&cked for me on the track. Almost hit a wall due to fade. S&cked on the street too due to heavy dust.

Use street pads on the street and track pads on the track. They are easy to change, take the wheel off and one bolt. You need to bleed fluid anyway. Hawk HT-10's or 14's are great for track in my experience. Don't fool around with your brakes.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:39 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HP+ didn't even make it through one event for me. I am now trying DTC/70 front, DTC/60 rear. I got through three events with my first set (fronts) but they were starting to go away before the end of the third day. The next set I will only use for two events before replacing them. They supply high stopping torques and good modulation, though you have to get them hot.

Dean
Old 07-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Mike,

I use Hawk DTC70 pads front and rear for my HPDE track days, and Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic pads for the street. As KentZ06 mentioned, the DTC70s provide high stopping torque and good modulation, and they must be warmed up. Also, they leave a heavy coat of grey dust on your wheels.

Last edited by Pumba; 07-15-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:41 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Guys, he said he was using them for 70% autox and 30% street. You'd never want to use a race pad for autox because in autox you only use you brakes two or three times per run. A race pad would never heat up enough to bite.

The most common autox pads (cold stopping power) are Hawk HP+, PFC Z-rated, and the stock pads. FWIW. These pads are not the preferred pads for DEs or any track events because they will all fade when they get hot.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks TedDbere, I saw that folks were giving me track recommendations and I agree that I need different pads for that.

So it looks like there is a bit of differene between the HPS and HP+, I'll look for the HP+ since I want more stop than OEM.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Guys, he said he was using them for 70% autox and 30% street. You'd never want to use a race pad for autox because in autox you only use you brakes two or three times per run. A race pad would never heat up enough to bite.

The most common autox pads (cold stopping power) are Hawk HP+, PFC Z-rated, and the stock pads. FWIW. These pads are not the preferred pads for DEs or any track events because they will all fade when they get hot.
Exactly. He was not asking for a race pad to run at VIR for 3 days straight, as an experience driver in the Red group. He wanted street and auto-x usage; for that, the HP+ seems like a decent upgrade over the stock pad, but it will have more dust. I have other wheels for auto-x so I don't care about the dust up front.

When you find yourself moving out of the novice groups and doing more than 1 HPDE per year, then is when to start thinking about a track only pad.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If you run the HP+ on the street BE SURE to clean your wheels frequently. I let that dust get wet for a week and it was terrible to get off, and in fact, the clear coat on those wheels is in terrible shape. Maybe because they are 5 years old, but those wheels are no longer suitable for road use.

I run ceramics on the street. I can go weeks without cleaning them, they stay clean and they stop fine.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:54 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I asked this question before, got some great answers....then never bought the pads

Well after my last HPDE I was putting the Z06 pads back on and I'm about to start an engraving machine in the wheel well.

Looking for a decent street pad, not a ton of dust....moderately priced.

I remember someone telling me PFC somethings...I looked at their offerings and no luck. I called a vendor listed here but no one answered the phone.

I need to order something this week.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 04:28 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience the HP+ is only slightly better than the Z06 pad for AX. I didn't think they were worth it. Consider trying Carbotech pads. Their AX6 autocross pad. I've done an AX with their XP8 track pad and they warmed up pretty quick and worked surprisingly well. I haven't used the AX6 but it replaces their Panther pad which worked very well for AX. The Carbotechs dust but it is not like the nasty crap that comes off Hawk HP+. You could run the AX6 on the street with no problem.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:10 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kentz06
The HP+ didn't even make it through one event for me. I am now trying DTC/70 front, DTC/60 rear. I got through three events with my first set (fronts) but they were starting to go away before the end of the third day. The next set I will only use for two events before replacing them. They supply high stopping torques and good modulation, though you have to get them hot.

Dean
except I'm using BLue in the rear.

--oops, sorry, I didn't read the 'autox' part of the OP. Anything other than ceramic should be good for autox.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Lemme know if I can help you out with the Hawks.

HPS - $155 shipped.
HP+ - $190 shipped.

Jason

Get notified of new replies

To Hawk Pads for C5 Z06

Quick Reply: Hawk Pads for C5 Z06