Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting VB&P bushings installed next week... what should I expect? New allignment?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Getting VB&P bushings installed next week... what should I expect? New allignment?

My front lowers are shot, so I'm taking the full poly plunge. I'm having them installed as I'm too busy to do it myself right now and really don't feel like futzing with it.

I have VB&P polys in my sway bars now and find that I have to re-lube them annually. I knwo teh VB&Ps will eventually squeek some, but I'm making my car a track car over the next few years so that's a non-issue.

I'm assuming overall handling will be improved and I won't have to worry about the front lower bushing squeezing out ever again.

My current allignment is as follows (street/track):

Front
-1.3 degrees camber
+6.x caster (I think)
0 toe

Rear
-0.9 degrees camber
1/16th per side toe-in

I know you don't need to run as much static camber w/ polys, but I'm guessing this only applys to race allignments which are far more aggressive.

I'm thinking of going to 1.5 camber up front and 1.2 rear when I get it re-alligned if possible. I still drive the car on the street a bunch.

~Brian
Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave it as it is for now...until you get a chance to get on a track, take some tire temps and do some testing.

Always try to make one change at time. You've made that change - bushings. Now, go the track and see what the results are.

Take a set of toe plates to the track, and make a change (camber, etc) or two to one side of the car...use the toe plates to put your toe back where it was before. Note the changes.

Keep making tweaks like that until your tire temps, feel for the car, etc, etc is where you want it.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Leave it as it is for now...until you get a chance to get on a track, take some tire temps and do some testing.

Always try to make one change at time. You've made that change - bushings. Now, go the track and see what the results are.

Take a set of toe plates to the track, and make a change (camber, etc) or two to one side of the car...use the toe plates to put your toe back where it was before. Note the changes.

Keep making tweaks like that until your tire temps, feel for the car, etc, etc is where you want it.
True... I know that's the right way to do it. But to be completely honest, I'm just trying to have fun. I'm not trying to set any lap records, but I prefer a neutral car that will understeer some but be controlled w/ the throttle. Last time out she did that for me. I don't have toe plates.

I'd rather set it and forget about it. I generally get the car re-alligned annually do to the control arm shifting throwing things out of whack.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can expect lots of noise (sorry, couldn't resist). Why don't you try the recommendation of using some teflon wrapped around the mounting points before you install the bushings....love to hear if it works.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by 95jersey
You can expect lots of noise (sorry, couldn't resist). Why don't you try the recommendation of using some teflon wrapped around the mounting points before you install the bushings....love to hear if it works.
I know... and if my car wasn't becomming a track car I'd just put new oem control arms on it.

Fact is that it's a weekend toy now... I don't drive it to work since getting my truck. A quiet automatic is a nice thing for daily commuting duties.

If she squeeks on my weekend cruises then so be it... I'll have the windows down and the cam thumping.

I'll print out your post and show it to Greg who's putting them in for me. Can you elaborate on where to put the tape?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I'm not trying to set any lap records, but I prefer a neutral car that will understeer some but be controlled w/ the throttle. Last time out she did that for me. I don't have toe plates.
That's my point though. Test whatever it is now and then adjust. ...otherwise you're just throwing a dart with your eyes closed.
Toe plate kit (with 2 measuring tapes) is about $1 thru Longacre...get it. You won't regret it, cause you will need them at the track eventually.

I'd rather set it and forget about it. I generally get the car re-alligned annually do to the control arm shifting throwing things out of whack.
Set it and forget it once you see what the car is doing first. One change at a time.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I'm about to do mine too...did you buy the bushings right from VB&P? On their website I only saw a kit for the whole car for $299.....I don't want to change the rears....only the fronts. Did you buy just the fronts???

Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Nope... I'm getting the whole kit installed. My installer is ordering them directly. I'm taking him the hubs and arp studs.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:19 PM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Squeek, squeek, squeek.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by ZO6-Driver
Squeek, squeek, squeek.
That was the sound of your sister's bed last night... sorry I didn't stop to say hey
Old 07-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 368 Likes on 304 Posts

Have you considered drilling a hole and adding a zerk? Then they can be lubed anytime very easily.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:58 PM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

That was the sound of your sister's bed last night... sorry I didn't stop to say hey
If that's true, I feel sorry for you! Oh and by the way I don't live at home with my Mommy, Daddy and Sister like you do....30 year old Virgin.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Have you considered drilling a hole and adding a zerk? Then they can be lubed anytime very easily.
Not in a cast aluminum control arm
If that's true, I feel sorry for you! Oh and by the way I don't live at home with my Mommy, Daddy and Sister like you do....30 year old Virgin.
What makes you think I live at home? This September I'll have owned my house for 3 years. Well technically the bank owns it, I just pay them to stay here
Old 07-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Squeek, squeek, squeek.
Damn...all this talk of sqeeking is making me nervous...

Is VB&P the only option, other than the stock rubber bushings??
Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 PM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

What makes you think I live at home? This September I'll have owned my house for 3 years. Well technically the bank owns it, I just pay them to stay here
I kid, I kid.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:29 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Bushings

I just bought a front set from VB & P. They will split a full set.

Re: squeek, squeek . I just put on a louder exhaust system.

Don't forget to mention the forum for a discount.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Maineiac
Damn...all this talk of sqeeking is making me nervous...

Is VB&P the only option, other than the stock rubber bushings??
T1 arms have a "middle ground"(can't remember name) bushing that is not quite as good as poly, but will not make noise either.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting VB&P bushings installed next week... what should I expect? New allignment?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ T1 bushings are harder rubber, they still squeeze out. T1 racers replace them seasonally.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Ordered my front bushings this morning..shipping out today...
Old 07-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 368 Likes on 304 Posts

Like in this thread?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=zerk+grease

Here is some more talk of zerks to:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=zerk+grease

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting VB&P bushings installed next week... what should I expect? New allignment?