Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Rubbing on Brake Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Wheel Rubbing on Brake Ducts

This is only on the passenger side rear. First time I saw this was after Barber in March when I had a rather large passenger (350lbs or more) for most of the weekend. So I just equated it to the right side was overloaded and caused the rubbing, duct-taped it off and went about my business. About four events later at VIR Full, I noticed it had occurred again rubbing off the bottom corner of the tape. This time, I couldn't blame it on the passenger. Other tracks in between where I didn't see the rubbing were Rd ATL, VIR (first time there), Rockingham, and VIR Grand (didn't push it hard breaking in a new engine).

What are some possible causes? Car too low? Wheel too wide? Hard left turns? Early signs of spring or control arm issues? Combination of things?

Some info about the car:
2004 C5 Z06
Never been corner-weighted/balanced.
T1 Swaybars
Ride height lowered about 3/4"
Rear wheels are CCW 17x11.5 running 315x35x17 Kumho 710
Offset ???? C5 recommended offset from CCW

TIA
Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

take out the rear ducts. There really is no need for them anyway.

CCW tells thier customers that on tires of 315 or larger 18x10" that the wheel tire combo will rub.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
take out the rear ducts. There really is no need for them anyway.

CCW tells thier customers that on tires of 315 or larger 18x10" that the wheel tire combo will rub.
I know the rears aren't nearly as important as the fronts and I remember seeing that reference on the website but about 335/30-18. Just didn't know if this rubbing is a "sign" of something else to look into.

"As everyone knows, Z06 model C5s come with rear brake ducts. In order to fit 335/30-18 tires with our 18X11.5 wheel package on your Z06, you will need to remove the brake duct hose. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE EXTERIOR BRAKE DUCT THAT DISTINCTS THE Z06!!! Pictured is the only bolt holding this duct on, it is easily removeable in less than 1 minute. "

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel Rubbing on Brake Ducts

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Rubbing on Brake Ducts