Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panoz Track Day at RA

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:29 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Panoz Track Day at RA

Just got back from a Panoz track weekend at Road Atlanta. While there, the future of such events was cast in doubt, as the September event was not going to be held (or perhaps held by someone else). Can anyone shed some light on what's going on with Panoz, Road Atlanta and Skip Barber?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
O.T.A.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there too helping a friend with his BMW. It was my first Panoz event and I was impressed with some things and alarmed by others.

I liked that the number of cars was small (although that might affect whether they hold another) and it was easy to run on a clear track. It was also easy to find some paddock space. It appeared well run, but I was surprised to see that passengers were allowed and the lax crowd control on the grid. Some of the passing rules were regularly ignored in some of the groups too. I was also shocked at the cost. You can participate in the very well run NASA events there for about half the cost for a weekend and get as much track time as the Panoz event. They also allow a path to racing if that's an interest and an excellent Time Trials program for those that like competition but don't want to go wheel to wheel. I think the instruction at a NASA event is also great.

To answer your question, I don't know what is going to happen with the Skip Barber takeover, but I can't see myself running one of these events anyway given the lower cost alternatives with NASA, BMWCCA, etc.

Scott

Originally Posted by yakisoba
Just got back from a Panoz track weekend at Road Atlanta. While there, the future of such events was cast in doubt, as the September event was not going to be held (or perhaps held by someone else). Can anyone shed some light on what's going on with Panoz, Road Atlanta and Skip Barber?

Last edited by O.T.A.; 07-19-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with you on the rules thing. Having the grid marshall tell us "Since cars are all different, you can't count on passing signals from everyone; you'll know" was pretty interesting. I also noted that some folks were ragging on slower drivers for not giving passing signals, but since they had not been TOLD to give them...

The lead/follow sessions were new to me. I confess, had I been a brand new driver, I would not have liked it as much as having an instructor in the car with me. As it was, spending a whole day in C group was a little slow for me. This was made up for in part by running SIX (five, due to rain) sessions on Sunday. Lots of track time.

I was glad they allowed passengers, since I was able to take my wife with me for the first time since I learned something about driving the line at speed. She had a blast!

It was expensive. I wonder how much they were paying for the meals? I'd rather go down the road for some excellent Brunswick Stew than eat them burgers, and if that would lower the price, it would be good.

There was NO track support. Not a tire changer, not air, not nothing save $7.85 fuel. What's up with that?

Was it worth it? Yes, for me. I had not been to RA, so it was a good time. Would I do it again? Nope. Cheaper tracks and track time to be had closer to home.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:02 PM
speedneed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've completed eight weekends at Panoz Track Days at Road Atlanta. $ 600 for a weekend with 10, 30 minute sessions does not seem expensive to me. I have never been to a NASA event but I've been told you get less time on the track. Is that not true?
I agree that C group is not much, but one day there and you are solo. The feedback I have received from the Panoz drivers at the track who observe you on the track have always given me something to work on and improve my driving. I understand that an in-car instructor is probably better but not all instructors are racing qualified and have the experience of the Panoz instructors.
I for one hope that the format continues.
Due to the canceled Sept weekend I am going to try the Peachtree BMW weekend.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The panoz days, are basically what they call them, open track days.

I used to run them all of the time, until they raised the price by 100$ to $600. You get tons of track time, more on Sunday than you will get with both days of NASA...If you don't want to fool around, and just want track time, Sunday is not bad, but a bit expensive. If you want instruction, nasa, or other clubs are a better bet.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:03 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Sunday's a good value... if you are experienced & run in Group A !!!

The Panoz instructor feedback ranges from... Ummm... I didn't see ya...

to Excellent !!!

Talk to the guys and ask them to watch your car & provide feedback !
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by trumper Z06

to Excellent !!!

I got the Ummm....which corvette were you? Wasn't impressed. For track days it's fine but I got frustrated in group B last time. Too many variances in skill level and "track courtesy".
Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 PM
speedneed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trumper Z06

to Excellent !!!

Group A and tell the instructor you are coming in for feedback. They will watch for you if they know you are going to ask for feedback. Problem is most do not so why should they make a bunch of notes for someone who never asks for it. (usually the one who needs it the most)

Get notified of new replies

To Panoz Track Day at RA

Quick Reply: Panoz Track Day at RA