Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you disable the airbag for an aftermarket steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
kwiker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you disable the airbag for an aftermarket steering wheel?

I really didn't want to post b/c i am sure this has been discussed before...but i couldn't find anything.

How do you disable the steering wheel airbag, i have a sparco wheel and the dash light is on and i want to get it to shut off. I know there is a resistor trick to fool the computer, anyone know where the info is so that i can do that? Or even some other option.

Thanks in advance, take care.
Nicholas
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Carefully... unscrew the steering wheel cover from behind the stock wheel. Put a grounding strap on your wrist and connect it to the chassis of the car. Unplug the airbag with it pointed away from you. Put the airbag in a metal container that is grounded to a cold water pipe or a spike. Be really careful doing this, static can light these things off.

I have removed them from Camaros, Hondas and Mustangs that I used at the track. I think they are 21 ohms resistance if the trouble light annoys you. I just used my electric drill to punch a hole through the light and make sure it stayed out. You may have some misguided affection for the car you are going to wreck at the track , so you could put masking tape over the light instead. \\

Make sure you use the wrist grounding strap and do this on a day when there is no lightning. Really... You may wish to wear an explosion shield on your face as well, these things can really injure you.

Once you have the worthless pillow out, you can unbolt the wheel and use a puller to remove it. As it is a federal violation for any shop to remove the pillow , you will have to do this yourself. If you have that stupid onstar cell phone, they will be bugging you constantly asking if you if you are ok. Don't answer them and you will get a backup ambulance at the track

You can get rid of the onstar cell phone by removing the trim on the windshield pillars and cutting the antenna wire... I have done this with success. They constantly called me when I had a CTS-V at Buttonwillow because they thought I was going too fast with odd slip angles... airbags and onstar, just like having your mother in the car...

Last edited by Tintin; 07-20-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:15 AM
kwiker
Racer

Originally Posted by Tintin
Carefully... unscrew the steering wheel cover from behind the stock wheel. Put a grounding strap on your wrist and connect it to the chassis of the car. Unplug the airbag with it pointed away from you. Put the airbag in a metal container that is grounded to a cold water pipe or a spike. Be really careful doing this, static can light these things off.

I have removed them from Camaros, Hondas and Mustangs that I used at the track. I think they are 21 ohms resistance if the trouble light annoys you. I just used my electric drill to punch a hole through the light and make sure it stayed out. You may have some misguided affection for the car you are going to wreck at the track , so you could put masking tape over the light instead. \\

Make sure you use the wrist grounding strap and do this on a day when there is no lightning. Really... You may wish to wear an explosion shield on your face as well, these things can really injure you.

Once you have the worthless pillow out, you can unbolt the wheel and use a puller to remove it. As it is a federal violation for any shop to remove the pillow , you will have to do this yourself. If you have that stupid onstar cell phone, they will be bugging you constantly asking if you if you are ok. Don't answer them and you will get a backup ambulance at the track

You can get rid of the onstar cell phone by removing the trim on the windshield pillars and cutting the antenna wire... I have done this with success. They constantly called me when I had a CTS-V at Buttonwillow because they thought I was going too fast with odd slip angles... airbags and onstar, just like having your mother in the car...
That got really hilarious at the end, i already have the wheel off...just wanted to get the light to go away. I thought it was a 1.2 watt 2.2 ohm resistor that would shut it off. It could also be the seats, i have Spraco Roadsters in it, so that could be making it come on also. I guess i will try the resistor myself and post up if it works.

Thanks for the laugh about the onstar stuff, take care.

Nicholas
Old 07-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kwiker
That got really hilarious at the end, i already have the wheel off...just wanted to get the light to go away. I thought it was a 1.2 watt 2.2 ohm resistor that would shut it off. It could also be the seats, i have Spraco Roadsters in it, so that could be making it come on also. I guess i will try the resistor myself and post up if it works.

Thanks for the laugh about the onstar stuff, take care.

Nicholas
You are welcome... you should call them and just start moaning into the mike to see their reaction, it is really fun...
Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 PM
kwiker
Racer

OK, i figured it out yesterday. Each airbag shows some resistance, that is how the computer knows if it is there or not. I need to simulate this resistance on the connector so that the light(code) will go away.

Does anyone have a body manual handy? I need to know the resistance of the airbag in the steering wheel. I think any year from 1997-2004 will work as the bags were the same i'm guessing. I will probably have to make a new thread to get a different audiance, but maybe this will get it done.

Thanks, take care.
Nicholas
Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

he..hehe..he....hehehe
Old 07-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I would almost swear that I remember someone posting that it was 8ohms, but that's my memory of a thread for a long time after midnight and after a few beers so take that with a grain of salt
Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 AM
kwiker
Racer

^^^^From my understanding of the very limited knowledge i gained, 8-ohms is a lot...i'm thinking that is definately too much. It should be somewhere between 1 and 3. But i didn't get a degree, just some casual reading...so i could definately be wrong.

I haven't rememberd/had time to look for my body manual to see if the specs are in there, but i'm going to set an appointment for it tonight, so that i will be reminded when i am laying down in bed just incase i forget again.

I will post up tonight with what i find or don't find.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I have done similar with Dodge, I just took the air bag light bulb out.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:52 PM
mrwrenchphd
Racer

If there is no need for the SIR system to be on line then just simply disconnect the sir control module. It's located under the a/c control head. Looking at the wiring diagram, there doesn't seem to be anything else tied to the system so I don't think it will be a problem. Sadly my information (Mitchell On Demand) doesn't give the air bag ohms. Probably for good reason as there's no way to test them other than a scan tool. If you're intent on by-passing just the drivers module, I'll check my C6's with my tech2 (assuming it will tell me). Let my know.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

found this on the other forum and sent you a PM with the link

The answer I received on another forum was to place a 2.2 Ohm 1 watt resister into the receiving end of the air bag wire harness to "fool" the car into thinking that the air bag is in place.
Well it's done. I ended up using five 10 ohm 1 watt resisters in parallel to create 2 ohms 1 watt. I think it turned out great and it is really nice to drive.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you disable the airbag for an aftermarket steering wheel?

Quick Reply: How do you disable the airbag for an aftermarket steering wheel?