Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grassroots Ultimate Track Car Challenge...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:27 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Grassroots Ultimate Track Car Challenge...

I just got back from VIR helping RAFT. The only competition he had was a Non-streetable $250K European GT-3 Viper Driven by Tommy Archer. The first session out, the Viper had a close up view of Danny in his rear view mirror pretty much the entire warmup session. Danny's times were about 1 second slower than the Viper's on the North course. Danny did great. Pictures to follow. Too tired right now.

GREAT JOB RAFT....

Mark

Last edited by 94ZR1#444; 07-28-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please.......... more details

Last edited by Webz; 08-04-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:41 PM
racerjon1
Racer

I don't have solid details yet, as I have been talking on the phone on and off to a friend running, but it seems like this:

(all very unofficial)
1. Archer Viper 1:30.xx
2. Popp Vette 1:32.xx
3. Whitis Noble ??
4. ???
5. ?? Nissan 300zx 1:35.xx

For those that may not know, they are running the North course.

Jon K
Old 07-27-2007, 06:58 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerjon1
I don't have solid details yet, as I have been talking on the phone on and off to a friend running, but it seems like this:

(all very unofficial)
1. Archer Viper 1:30.xx
2. Popp Vette 1:32.xx
3. Whitis Noble ??
4. ???
5. ?? Nissan 300zx 1:35.xx

For those that may not know, they are running the North course.

Jon K
Thanks Jon let us know if you get any more hard info on the runners!

Did the 2 door Subaru break?

That Viper sounds like a good fit for the GRM demographics! I do not remember it from the list of cars even on cardomain...
Old 07-27-2007, 07:46 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

I spoke to Danny earlier today (RAFTRACER).

Tommy Archer (race winning professional driver for those who might not know him) in an all-out Eurpoean-spec GT3 race Viper came out of nowhere. He was not on the cardomain list, never voted on..... sounds like someone brought in a surprise ringer.... I'd hardly call a $250K non-streetable pro race car representative of "grass roots" racing. GM should have just sent over their C6.R's......

Danny gridded right behind him and asked him where his license plate was and what radio station he liked to listen to on the track....

Danny said he ended up 2 secs behind the Viper (mind you the drastic difference in cars - like Danny has NO aero, which might have made the difference). The Whitis Noble was about 3 secs behind Danny.

All in all, big congratulations to the RAFT team! We'll get 'em next year!

Bob
Old 07-27-2007, 07:46 PM
briannutter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the viper...there was a post way way way at the back of car domain about it...although I don't know if it was up long enough to get any votes. It was probably used as a way of gauging the field. There were other vipers that wanted into the competition that didn't get picked over this one. Either way...GRM isn't GR anymore. If anyone publishes a "build a car in your garage with a 110v mig" magazine...they'll get a subscriber
Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ATI Performance
I spoke to Danny earlier today (RAFTRACER).

Tommy Archer (race winning professional driver for those who might not know him) in an all-out Eurpoean-spec GT3 race Viper came out of nowhere. He was not on the cardomain list, never voted on..... sounds like someone brought in a surprise ringer.... I'd hardly call a $250K non-streetable pro race car representative of "grass roots" racing. GM should have just sent over their C6.R's......

Danny gridded right behind him and asked him where his license plate was and what radio station he liked to listen to on the track....

Danny said he ended up 2 secs behind the Viper (mind you the drastic difference in cars - like Danny has NO aero, which might have made the difference). The Whitis Noble was about 3 secs behind Danny.

All in all, big congratulations to the RAFT team! We'll get 'em next year!

Bob
Way to go Danny, sounds like you conquered the oil pressure gremlin and finally got to concentrate on rafting. Congrats

Len
Old 07-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Raftracer had a low 1:30.xxx to Archer's 1:28.xxx when I left. There was still a session or 2 to go before the thing was over.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:58 PM
racerjon1
Racer

The two-door Subaru didn't show, I think they are at Gateway International Raceway for another event. (Along with the AMS Evo, which declined its invite to the GRM event because of sponsor conflicts)

Rankins in the Subaru (who I was talking to) is the lone Subaru at the event. He had a bad showing because of a fuel cut issue and broken motor mount. (Guess who is driving up to bring him a motor mount in the morning.. )

I think (but don't remember exactly) It might have been Morrison in the NSX in 4th.

Jon K
Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Webz
Way to go Danny, sounds like you conquered the oil pressure gremlin and finally got to concentrate on rafting. Congrats

Len

Nice Job Danny !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:28 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

Originally Posted by briannutter
Either way...GRM isn't GR anymore. If anyone publishes a "build a car in your garage with a 110v mig" magazine...they'll get a subscriber
Not sure how you draw this conclusion. From the beginning we established two divisions: One for "pro built" cars and one for "home built" cars. From what we've heard from Scott and Chris at the event, lots of the cars were built in someone's garage, without even the luxury of a 110v mig.

So please don't panic yet. We haven't sold out. And if we did, nobody told me because my wife is still driving a 10 year old minivan with 140,000 miles on it.

Besides, it's all a matter of degrees. Every time someone with a home-built car bitches about a pro-built car, another guy comes along and says he built his car with only three wrenches and a broken screwdriver. Then the next guy says "Screwdriver? You're a sellout! I built my car with some old scabs and toaster oven parts."

So, if you don't want to subscribe, I understand. But you'll be missing out on a lot of the things I think you're looking for.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 07-27-2007, 09:45 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Concerning cars in this event/GRM..

I have discussed this topic a bit over the last few days - the pro drivers, the semi-factory cars, the concept of varsity/jr varsity, etc. This is the first time an event like this has been done, in the past GRM has adjusted rules to make for better events as they age/progress. (See low-buck challenge) I suspect we should see the same in this case.

I for one hope that we continue to see this event, with classes for the do-it-yourselfer in what he put together, and the pro-shop showing off what can be bought. (or built with parts) Afterall - "track cars" as this event is for range from all over. Rentable $200k Porsche GT3-Rs, factory-built Radicals, Kit cars, $25,000 Civics, $2500 Civics, and yes even Minivans. There is a spot for all of these in this event, and it still falls under grassroots because well.. track days are a form of grassroots motorsports no matter what car you are in.

Jon K
(who also enjoys reading about how to build a car with a welder, or duct tape, or without screwdrivers.. )
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

Originally Posted by racerjon1
There is a spot for all of these in this event, and it still falls under grassroots because well.. track days are a form of grassroots motorsports no matter what car you are in.
Bingo.

Guys, putting this stuff together ain't easy. We do all the logistics ourselves—there's no promotions company or event management company, or anyone but us doing these things from stem to stern. And that's in addition to putting out 14 magazines a year. I mean, I'd love to be there, but I'm sitting at home on a Friday night laying out Classic pages. Okay, tomorrow I'm going to an NCCC autocross, but I changed my tires myself today, that gives me street cred, right?

The whole point of this event was to be a showcase—Both to showcase what the average, or not so average, guy can do in his garage, and what the "pros" do when those constraints are lifted. At the end of the day, I think the most interesting part of the event is going to be what each faction learned from the other. I'm sure there were just as many pro builders there in awe of the backyard engineering as the other way around.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Man, I loved the Mosler that was there. It was the first one I'd seen on track. As it went by I'd expect a Euro type exhaust note, but it'd blow you away with a low SBC V8 All american sound!

BTW, it had carbon fiber wheels.

J. G., was that Tommy Morrison driving that car? It had Morrison Racing on the trailer.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Great job and great event J G, wish I could have been there.....

You have to expect a little homerism/sour grapes for our boy Danny, anyone who can beat him is obviously "cheating" one way or the other

Great job Danny, you always make us proud.

David
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

Originally Posted by Falcon
Man, I loved the Mosler that was there. It was the first one I'd seen on track. As it went by I'd expect a Euro type exhaust note, but it'd blow you away with a low SBC V8 All american sound!

BTW, it had carbon fiber wheels.

J. G., was that Tommy Morrison driving that car? It had Morrison Racing on the trailer.

Not sure who was driving. I know Mosler and Morrison work together a lot on development and prep, so I'd imagine the car came out of Tommy's shop. I've always had a soft spot for Mosler's stuff. It's way better than people give it credit for, and Warren is a genuinely nice, decent guy. I always felt it was some small vindication for him when the first Daytona Prototypes came out, and looked shockingly similar to Mosler's first Consulier, which everyone panned as horrificly ugly back in the day. Anyone who dissed them obviously never drove one, though. They were decades ahead of their time.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 07-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

GT3 Viper example:

Tommy Archer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Tommy Archer is a race car driver born in the USA. He competed in the FIA GT Championship of 1997 and also drove two races of the 2000 GrandAm Series. He competed in the 2006 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona with teammates Leighton Reese, Russ Oasis, and Dino Cresintini, finishing 17th in class. He currently races in the Speed World Challenge GT series in a Dodge Viper Competition Coupe, Winning the 2004 Championship.
North Course VIR = 2.26 miles

And ............. what was the gap from the GT3 Viper to RAFTRACER????

Last edited by Bink; 07-27-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Grassroots Ultimate Track Car Challenge...

Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I must say - should have kept it street legal. Great job Danny!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Dan really did an awesome job today. The difference from his time to the second place time was seconds... not tenths, not hundredths, but SECONDS.

The Viper was a huge surprise and definitely wasn't a GRM poster child. It was the antithesis if anything. Big money, big staff, air jacks ON THE CAR, radial Michelin slicks, and over 600hp on a pro-built chassis with MM backing...

My opinion is that GRM should use the Viper as a "benchmark" of the "ultimate" in "unlimited" expenditure with a pro driver. And, rightfully so, the Viper did set the absolute fastest time of the day. And, that time could be touted as the "benchmark" for all "authentic" GRM built cars to achieve.

the RAFT car held its own very well and is the epitome of a GRM car. Dan has turned every nut and bolt on the car himself and has torn the motor down more times than he'd like to admit. Archer on the other hand-- "arrive and drive"... we didn't see the helicopter but it wasn't too far away...

There were A LOT of super high-end GRM based cars there today and the field was wide and very diversified. There were many many cars that were touting over 500hp and had ridiculous suspensions.

Consider the field consisted of unlimited powered cars from:

Buschur (Evo)
Mosler MT900 (tons of carbon fiber and a supercharged 700hp LS-6)
Turbo M3
Big Turbo 300z
Noble
Camaro GT-1
Audi S4 driven by.... Chip Herr (World Challenge Stasis driver)

.... and many more that won't be forgotten!

Walking into grid this morning was like a candy store for car fanatics. There was at least one of every type of badass sports car represented in a highly modified road-racing format. I can tell you that within that field, every competitor came to the fight with serious high hopes of turning some damn fast lap times. They all did PHENOMENAL, however, Dan was able to sense the level of competition and really crank things beyond all other competitor's imaginations. He did it within the first few laps of the morning's first session, and that's where the bar was set to not be surpassed.

In the end?

Dan has without a doubt proven himself to be one of the premier drivers against an unlimited barrage of other great drivers with purpose built stupid fast cars. Dan went out and lit the pace and there wasn't a driver or spectator that didn't notice the blue Z06 tearing it up. As Dan would say.. "it's not the driver, it's the car".

We were hopeful that GRM was going to allow an apples to apples comparison of the Archer and RAFT drivers in the same car for a fastest lap time of the day competition to settle the driver aspect... however, the day ran long, and the awards and photo shoots didn't wrap up till after 7pm.

Whew, been a long day! One that won't be forgotten for loooong time!

Pick up a GRM magazine every time you can over the next few months. This is one article you will not want to miss.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 PM
briannutter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I could be sour grapes about it. I'll explain it like this: Someone and their car I CAN identify with got beat by a car that I can't identify with as a GRM reader. Would I be less sour grapes if GM brought the c6-r to the event?..no. The race did loose a bit of the "reality" I buy GRM for. I guess I wouldn't be bitching if Danny got beat by an open wheel car.

I'd be curious to see the number of people that DID vote for the viper on Car domain compared to others. Is it cool, yes; does it fit into the typical aspirations and building skills of most of the grm subscribership? -I don't know, but kinda doubt it. What was the honest opinion of the racers today? Did they consider themselves "beaten", or "outspent" by those that finished higher? It's all relative as you say..keep showing me articles on building/tuning cars like competitors and you'll sell me ANOTHER subscription next year. Thanks for chiming in. -Brian

Originally Posted by jpasterjak
Not sure how you draw this conclusion. From the beginning we established two divisions: One for "pro built" cars and one for "home built" cars. From what we've heard from Scott and Chris at the event, lots of the cars were built in someone's garage, without even the luxury of a 110v mig.

So please don't panic yet. We haven't sold out. And if we did, nobody told me because my wife is still driving a 10 year old minivan with 140,000 miles on it.

Besides, it's all a matter of degrees. Every time someone with a home-built car bitches about a pro-built car, another guy comes along and says he built his car with only three wrenches and a broken screwdriver. Then the next guy says "Screwdriver? You're a sellout! I built my car with some old scabs and toaster oven parts."

So, if you don't want to subscribe, I understand. But you'll be missing out on a lot of the things I think you're looking for.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports

Quick Reply: Grassroots Ultimate Track Car Challenge...