Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Track Day, Labor Day at Gingerman (MI)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:35 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Open Track Day, Labor Day at Gingerman (MI)

Hello All,
3 ***** Racing is hosting an open track day at Gingerman on Monday, September 3. There will be an instruction session in the morning, and instructors available during the day. However, this is more of a lapping day than a school. We run 15-20 minute sessions with 4 run groups. The drivers' meeting is at 8:30, and the track goes hot at 9. Lunch and drinks will be provided. The track closes at 5. Cost for this event is $140 payable by check or Paypal (extra fee for Paypal). For more details, and to register, please visit our website.

Thanks
Ken
www.3ballsracing.com
Old 07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Prior to my move from Indiana, I used to go up to Gingerman several times a month. Very fun track, and the management and staff were always first rate. I encourage anyone in the area to try a track day there. You'll be smiling all day long.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM
asp04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody run with this group before??

Looking for experiences of others who have run with 3-***** Racing before. They have a Gingerman event on labor day that sure meets my schedule. They claim 2 hours driving time per group.
Has anyone run open track evening events with that same track before? Do you get 2 hrs. driving time with that event? I heard about the Impala fiasco, so I know "power corrupts" goes on there a bit.
If anyone knows good or bad about 3-***** let them post or p.m. me as to wether or not to sign up. Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

It's a great group and very laid back. There are at least 4 or 5 regulars in this forum that run/instruct with 3Balls (myself being one). 2 hours of track time is six 20 minute sessions. Yes, you will be able to get 6 sessions as long as nothing holds up the track. Of course we can't guarantee that nothing will happen but in two years of events, the number of off-track excursions has been very small. Typically the last session or two is "open track" as a lot of the people call it a day around 3:30 or so. You will get enough track time. With 4 run groups of about 15 cars, there will be plenty of open track so you shouldn't have to worry about traffic either.

Check out the boards at 3Ballsracing.com and you'll find many happy customers. We even camp out at the track the night before the event if you're up for it.

-Matt

Gray 2005 Pontiac GTO
Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 PM
asp04
Advanced

Sounds like a thumbs up from Matt. Anyone else?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
bb69
Drifting

Originally Posted by asp04
Sounds like a thumbs up from Matt. Anyone else?

Glad to see you asking questions. You can check some other boards for feedback as well, including the S2000 board, Motown Muscle, Subaru boards, etc. I will try to post some links up. If you have specific questions about the event, let me know.

Ken

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...&f=31&t=511979

http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=52675
Old 08-14-2007, 06:11 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have run with them at Gingerman and Grattan. Fun group, wide variety of cars, lots of track time. For a small club just getting started they already have things running smoothly and safely. Some clubs I've run with have been doing this for years, yet still can't keep to a schedule or put cars in the proper classes.

For beginners, 3Balls does a classroom session, provides instructors to ride along and give ride-alongs, and has plenty of workers on hand to answer questions and help out with concerns. At the advanced level the drivers are fast, with several guys/gals who compete in NASA and SCCA events...don't count on coming out there and passing everyone.

I see a lot of repeat drivers at 3Balls events, I guess that's the best indication of an event's quality, the number of people who come back.

Oh, and free pizza. That's enough for some people right there...
Old 08-22-2007, 07:12 AM
bb69
Drifting

Only 8 spots left. Thanks to everyone that has signed up.

Ken
Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Ken, hurricane Dean may be cancelling my Mexico trip next week. I might be there after all.

I'm trying to recruit others as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 AM
bb69
Drifting

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Ken, hurricane Dean may be cancelling my Mexico trip next week. I might be there after all.

I'm trying to recruit others as well.

I guess that's good for you, bad for the people in Mexico.

Ken
Old 08-22-2007, 01:34 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

How is the event run? groups based on experience? passing?

Bob
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ATI Performance

Bob
Yes, groups based on experience. Passing by point-by in designated areas only.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Yes, groups based on experience. Passing by point-by in designated areas only.
4 run groups based on experience first, car second. Passing on straights for beginners, a little more relaxed (but not open passing) for advanced drivers.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't think my car will be ready.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 AM
bb69
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATI Performance

Bob
Thanks to some of our instructors for answering the questions. We do everything we can to group people by experience and car potential. The groups are posted before the event so that changes can be made. We are also going to update our website registration so people can put in their experience level. It was supposed to be in the current site, but somehow got lost. Finally, we are getting to the point that we have a good core of people showing up to our events. We use that history to make better groups.

You can figure that the top group will have some pretty quick cars and drivers with good experience. The second level group is gotten to the point that it is almost interchangable with the top level. The last group will probably have a few people that are coming out for the first time, and the remainder will be people with less than 5 events. The last 2 groups have a dedicated instruction session in the morning and a lead follow session to get the day started.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks
Ken
Old 08-23-2007, 12:23 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bb69
The last 2 groups have a dedicated instruction session in the morning and a lead follow session to get the day started.
That's right, I forgot about the lead / follow sessions. Five cars behind one of the instructors, each student follows for one full lap to see the line, then falls back to the end. Every student gets a full lap behind the pace car, and then 4 more laps farther back. Obviously this is done at a moderate pace, no more than 50 mph or so.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 08-23-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:56 PM
asp04
Advanced

Default I'm going

I signed up. Can hardly wait. Haven't been there since we used to autocross there on the old formula440 track. Had fun then, should be more fun now.

Get notified of new replies

To Open Track Day, Labor Day at Gingerman (MI)

Quick Reply: Open Track Day, Labor Day at Gingerman (MI)