Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runflat tire presure for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 PM
blkz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runflat tire presure for HPDE

I know it's been posted before but I can't find it.What tire pressures do you recommend for HPDE's?I'm using stock runflats.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blkz
I know it's been posted before but I can't find it.What tire pressures do you recommend for HPDE's?I'm using stock runflats.
Start with the recommended pressure which is 30 psi. After your 1st session check the pressures as soon as you pull off the track. I find that the high 30's pressure works best for me. Don't add or subtract pressure until the tires have cooled down.

Secondly, look at where your tires are wearing. If you examine your tires closely you will see a little arrow right at the beginning of where the tread meets the sidewalls. You want your wear line to be at the point of this arrow.

Hope this makes sense. But in any case do not over worry, look ahead, hit your apex's and enjoy!!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

My experience with the run flats was that I had to run about 35 lbs cold to keep the tread from buckling and causing excessive tread wear just off center of the front tires. They barely roll over even when there is no air in them but the tread does buckle. On my tires the tread wear was a groove all the way around the tire about an inch and a half inboard from the outside edge. This was reduced with higher tire pressures which kept the tread flat on the track surface.

However, once the tires got hot the higher cold pressures would result in hot pressures that would set off the over pressure warning.

Bill
Old 08-02-2007, 12:46 AM
blkz
Pro

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default My experience w/non runflats

A little OT, but I thought I'd share my experiences with my KDW2 non-RFs @Gingerman Mon. I was told to start off with 4lb over the OEM recommendations of 30/30. This resulted in the overinflation warning coming up, so I had to take away the 4 psi over I added. Also, when I set them at 30psi cold for the trip home, they went up to 37 psi on the interstate.

Get notified of new replies

To Runflat tire presure for HPDE

Quick Reply: Runflat tire presure for HPDE