Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Robby Gordon Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Robby Gordon Fiasco

I really do not watch Busch or NASCAR that much unless they are at a road course (WGI next weekend), but watched as Robby Gordon seemed to get screwed this weekend a few times.

First he was in first place when the yellow flag came out though I can see that being a judgement call so at the very least 2nd place so why did he get pushed back to 13th place? If there is no passing under Yellow then why wouldnt his place be held while he gets his car back in line?

Second, I thought that Busch and NASCAR were 2 seperate entitites. If that is true why is he suspended form NASCAR series for a Busch incident?

I do think Robby was wrong - YES 100%. He should not have taken out Ambrose because of his frustrations with NASCAR.

any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

My thoughts..NASACAR has become just like Proffesional Wrestling.

1) You do not take out a fellow competitor just because the sanctioning body screws up which they do frequently.

2) how many times have we seen Robby "fudge" the rules or just flat out cheat? (roll bar padding out the window etc)

3) It does state in the rules that you can be suspended from a CUP event for infractions in another series, i.e. Truck, Bush. For example, Kevin Harvick at Martinsville a few years ago got in trouble in the truck series and had to sit out the cup race. You can't fight City Hall.

I just gave up on NASCAR a few years ago. I love watching the ALMS races when I can.

Bob
Old 08-06-2007, 12:43 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far as I know NASCAR is the sanctioning body and Nextel Cup and Busch are series controlled by the sanctioning body. If your NASCAR license is suspended you can't run any of their sanctioned series events.

Just like CASC, SCCA, NASA, etc...

As for the rest, I haven't seen the video, I just read the AutoWeek article which said Robby made contact with Ambrose which caused him to spin (I assume this is what brought out the caution). Robby was told to form up at some particular point in the line and stormed his way back to second simply to run in to Ambrose. I love that NASCAR stopped scoring him for effectively ignoring a black flag... that makes it marginally better than WWE, I guess.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by gkmccready
So far as I know NASCAR is the sanctioning body and Nextel Cup and Busch are series controlled by the sanctioning body. If your NASCAR license is suspended you can't run any of their sanctioned series events.

Just like CASC, SCCA, NASA, etc...

As for the rest, I haven't seen the video, I just read the AutoWeek article which said Robby made contact with Ambrose which caused him to spin (I assume this is what brought out the caution). Robby was told to form up at some particular point in the line and stormed his way back to second simply to run in to Ambrose. I love that NASCAR stopped scoring him for effectively ignoring a black flag... that makes it marginally better than WWE, I guess.

Here is the events as I saw them:

1. Incident calls for Yellow flag

2. Robby passes Ambrose at the exact same time the Yellow flag happens

3. Robby slows because of the Yellow flag or to let Ambrose back in front

4. Ambrose runs into the back of Robby causing him to spin

5. by the time Robby corrects he is now 13th position

6. Robby moves up the line to 2nd position where he was a the time of the Yellow

7. NASCAR says that he is in 13th position because he slowed up too much

8. Robby doesnt listen and th green flag is thrown

9. Robby spins Ambrose either to get back at Ambrose or to **** of NASCAR

10. Robby doesnt listen to black flags and finishes race.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically I think Gordon is at fault.

The last portion of that race Ambrose drove away from the field after every yellow, and put time between him and second relatively reliably.

Gordon would not have caught him, and at the point he got spun after the pass of Ambrose, Ambrose had the line underneath him to the inside and Gordon drove across him trying to keep him back.

Regardless of what transpired with his position post yellow, he blatantly ignored his Crew, and repeated attempts of Nascar officials over the radio to fall back into the correct position during THREE LAPS of yellow flag. I cannot say they were right or wrong, but they make the calls, as it is THEIR world they race in. Then he ignores the black flag and claims a win with protest. Typical large ego'd small guy.

He only ignored the officials purely to spin Ambrose and cost him a win, IMO a well earned win as he was the best car out there that day. Total d**k move on Gordon's part, and me personally it would have taken his whole crew to keep me off of him post race ... karma is a b*tch and he has payback coming in my eyes.

Hell I don't even watch nascar but my brother knows Boris Said pretty well and I was pulling for him, because the dude can wheel.

Fej
Old 08-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Carroll Smith (the author) said Robby Gordon was the greatest waste of talent.......ever. Unteachable ( is that a word) ..........a know-it-all.
Sums up his career.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:14 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

He should have also been suspended for the races at the Glen next weekend. He might have had a legit gripe, but to take out the race leader to prove your point shows a complete lack of class. He even did a full post race celebration of his "win". Maybe if his sponsors pull their funding from the team he might start "adjusting" his attitude.

Larry
Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 PM
speedneed
Racer

A little off subject. Anybody hear what happened to Andy Pilgrim in the Navy 88. He was in 6th place and slipped by the Fellows/Pruitt collision which would have put him in the lead but on the next camera shot he is no where to be found. He ended up finishing 14th. What happened?
By the way Robby Gordon is an idiot and proved it. I guess he thinks the world revolves around him.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NASCAR is the sanctioning body(rules) of each series while Nextel, Busch, and Craftsman are series sponsors($$$$$$)

Originally Posted by speedneed
Anybody hear what happened to Andy Pilgrim in the Navy 88. He was in 6th place and slipped by the Fellows/Pruitt collision which would have put him in the lead but on the next camera shot he is no where to be found. He ended up finishing 14th. What happened?
Pilgrim ran out of Sunoco!!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Shrek
NASCAR is the sanctioning body(rules) of each series while Nextel, Busch, and Craftsman are series sponsors($$$$$$)!

Oh my mistake. I didnt realize they controlled all the $$$.

Would a big name like Jr be suspended?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
jlcvt
Racer

Nascar =
Old 08-06-2007, 08:24 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Breaking News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

drive fast, boy

http://www.theonion.com/content/node...bedded_video_2

NASCAR Coach Reveals Winning Strategy: 'Drive Fast'
Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jlcvt
Nascar =
I thought that I was watching a demolition derby at the end of the Montreal race. If that's what's exciting to people, more power to them.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

BTW.. Robby Gordon said that he's going to win the Busch and the Cup race next weekend at Watkins Glen.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

he was hit during a yellow, but he should have protested, and not done what he did.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I heard it was a crazy ending any video of it
Old 08-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
My thoughts..NASACAR has become just like Proffesional Wrestling.

It is a pathetic idiot's version of motoracing and obviously fixed... If you blatantly hit a competitor in FIA racing, you would never race again

Get notified of new replies

To Robby Gordon Fiasco

Old 08-06-2007, 11:35 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PA Z06
I heard it was a crazy ending any video of it
The race is being rebroadcast on SPEED Thursday at 12:00PM
Old 08-07-2007, 06:19 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, not sure if anyone has heard yet but R. Gordon has put S. Ambrose in a Cup car for Watkins Glen!! I really, really don't like RG but that is a pretty "big" move for him.

Now, we just have to make sure that NASCAR is not behind this and MAKING RG put Ambrose in one of his cars. I could see that as a "penalty" to RG without causing more bad press. Kinda of a win win for NASCAR and Lose/Win for RG.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:14 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joemoia
The race is being rebroadcast on SPEED Thursday at 12:00PM
haha I should have just pmed you Joe, thanks

Quick Reply: Robby Gordon Fiasco