Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st HPDE...WOW!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default 1st HPDE...WOW!

I did my first HPDE at the Pocono Double Infield on July 21...what a BLAST! I was expecting restricted single file "spirited" driving in the HPDE1 sessions, but boy was i wrong. I have done numerous Drag racing and Auto-X events, but HPDE's are like an extreme combination of the two. I took the advice of some fellow forum members and used street tires, running new Kumho MX's on my spare set of Z06 rims. The handling was very predictable with the MX's, they held up well to the punishment. I want to give a BIG thanks to my Instructor Steve Kefer, his tutoring was invaluable and enabled me to move up to HPDE2 my next time out. Steve also knew my wife was sitting in the pits, and volunteered to take her out for a few laps of HPDE4, needless to say, she had a great time and now she wants to give HPDE's a try! I'm heading back to Pocono 9/29 for an HPDE2 session...can't wait! I might get up to Watkins Glen beforehand but scheduling could be an issue.

Last edited by Hardcorvette; 08-09-2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: error
Old 08-09-2007, 03:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Driving Schools are like potato chips, You cant have just ONE.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

More $$$ then crack but twice the fun

Randy
Old 08-09-2007, 03:47 PM
GAS
Instructor

Default Hpde

Welcome to your new ADDICTION!!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Yep, another one hooked - maybe two
Old 08-09-2007, 04:31 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hardcorvette
I did my first HPDE at the Pocono Double Infield on July 21...what a BLAST! I was expecting restricted single file "spirited" driving in the HPDE1 sessions, but boy was i wrong. I have done numerous Drag racing and Auto-X events, but HPDE's are like an extreme combination of the two. I took the advice of some fellow forum members and used street tires, running new Kumho MX's on my spare set of Z06 rims. The handling was very predictable with the MX's, they held up well to the punishment. I want to give a BIG thanks to my Instructor Steve Kefer, his tutoring was invaluable and enabled me to move up to HPDE2 my next time out. Steve also knew my wife was sitting in the pits, and volunteered to take her out for a few laps of HPDE4, needless to say she had a great time and now she wants to give HPDE's a try! I'm heading back to Pocono 8/29 for an HPDE2 session...can't wait! I might get up to Watkins Glen beforehand but scheuling could be an issue.
Congrats! I did it backwards. I did an HPDE first and the tried drag racing and autox'ing. Running HPDE's ruined me for anything else other than possibly road racing someday.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:44 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I guess you were running NASA NE event ... PDA?
Congratulations ... life as you know it has forever changed ...
I signed my wife and I up for the short infield course at Pocono in 2004.
Her last run finally came together for her and she let out a "weeeee!"
Unfortunately, she developed some vision problems that we're still working thru so hasn't been back out.
Did you see a SW Z with a red stripe and propeller on the rear? That would be Brian G

Re the Glenn... someone had a slot available at WGI 20-21 Aug here?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I'm definitely hooked! I'm finding myself looking at tire trailers, harness bars, etc.

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
I guess you were running NASA NE event ... PDA?
Yes.

Did you see a SW Z with a red stripe and propeller on the rear? That would be Brian G
Yes, he was instructing that day i believe. I've seen the car/driver at local Auto-X awhile back...the guy dominated the course!

Re the Glenn... someone had a slot available at WGI 20-21 Aug here?
I'll be on the Left Coast that week, won't be able to make that one. Thanks for the info. though!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:41 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Hardcorvette
I'm definitely hooked! I'm finding myself looking at tire trailers, harness bars, etc.

Yes.

Yes, he was instructing that day i believe. I've seen the car/driver at local Auto-X awhile back...the guy dominated the course!

I'll be on the Left Coast that week, won't be able to make that one. Thanks for the info. though!
I was there also, red z balck stripes. I started three years ago, by going to pocono with the Cumberland Valley Corvette Club fro a two day, and then got "hooked". Now I run with ECS racing. Last year I bought a new truck, a used trailer, harness bar, 6 point harness's, converted my seats, remote controlled camera, camera mount, tires and rims, got a bigger cam, now looking into oil coolers. Besides the stuff i just mentioned, I spent 4200.00 in track fees, be careful the addiction is worse than crack
BTW- we(6of us) are running the Glen sept 17-18th, and I'll be back there Oct 14-15-16.

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 08-09-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congrats! It is about the most fun you can have with clothes on. Keep the mods down, just spend your money on basic things like brake pads and fluid and learn at your own pace, but keep it safe.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st HPDE...WOW!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st HPDE...WOW!