Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you tip your alignment guy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
90Z51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you tip your alignment guy?

Tomorrow I'm going to get my FRC aligned. I've been to this shop a fre times before for alignments. The shop is a proper performance shop, not some lame chain store. The alignment tech takes time to talk to you about your car and what you want to do with it, then lets you hang out with him while he works on the car.

Do you guys normally tip your alignment techs? If so, what's a reasonable tip?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:54 PM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I do...makes it much easier should you want a small tweak. **** with my car & I tip who shares.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Code Z
Advanced

You don't tip when the person doing the service is compensated on the basis of their skills. I just don't understand tipping people who don't include tips as a portion of their salary.

You don't tip the cook/chef do you? If you tip the alignment tech why not the service writer and the shop manager?

Do you flip your doctor or dentist a bill?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:40 PM
90Z51
Racer

Originally Posted by Code Z
You don't tip when the person doing the service is compensated on the basis of their skills. I just don't understand tipping people who don't include tips as a portion of their salary.

You don't tip the cook/chef do you? If you tip the alignment tech why not the service writer and the shop manager?

Do you flip your doctor or dentist a bill?
I've given my doctor beer.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:14 AM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 90Z51
Do you guys normally tip your alignment techs? If so, what's a reasonable tip?
Heck YES. After my guy did a Hunter 9700 alignment, I got into the car for some reason and noticed the entire alignment changed with my additional 220 lbs sitting in the drivers seat. He immedialtely started another full alignment with me sitting in the car. "Good service" should be rewarded. I get a corporate rate discount and another discount for coming there so often so I don't mind giving a tip. I get an alignment for $62 and I spent almost 1 full hour on the rack. I gave him a $20 tip. This guy will remember me when I go back in another few months.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I do it myself, so that I get the tip!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do, usually $10 maybe $20 if I see he's worked hard at getting it just right or did something special on my request.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:15 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My income varies a lot. I love to tip, buy drinks or dinner for my friends and family, have parties and house guests whenever I can afford it. When I can't I'm not so inclined. I believe that if you can afford it and it makes you feel good, do it. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't feel guilty or be penalized with bad service for not doing it.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I get my car done at a shop locally owned by a member of the local vette club, they only do allignments and wheels/tires and have the latest and greatest machinery. It costs $90, but they'll get your specs exact.

No... I don't tip... $90 is alot.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Code Z;1561435820]
You don't tip the cook/chef do you? [QUOTE]

When you tip the waitperson part of that tip goes to the kitchen and bartender if he fix drinks for the table.

I tip on occasion. I try and use the same people when I can so a tip can go along way in creating good will.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:30 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

I've used the same shop for my tires and refer alot of folks there for a long time. I know the guys and I'll tip the alignment guy because he's carefull not to scratch anything....
Old 08-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

I tip pretty much everybody that works on my car. I'm fussy, and this way they put up with my various fussy requests. Plus they're always happy to see me.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:19 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I get my car done at a shop locally owned by a member of the local vette club, they only do allignments and wheels/tires and have the latest and greatest machinery. It costs $90, but they'll get your specs exact.

Too funny. Initially alignment out here in SFBA is $240. Subsequent alignments with the same shop are $110. And that's a deal!

Now you see why I bought a SmartCamber and HardbarUSA alignment tool and do it myself...
Old 08-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

..wouldn't even let me buy him a beer.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:16 AM
mrwrenchphd
Racer

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Book time averages 2 hrs. I charge $118.75 (1.5hrs) for a 4-wheel alignment. It can take some time especially with some of the auto xer's who what an extreme alignment. When you factor in that my alignment machine & rack cost over $36k , $90 is a deal. And no, I wouldn't feel right being tipped. I'm a professional, I'm doing my job of which I am proud of. Tipping me would be a minor put down. In my profession, you should only tip when someone goes above & beyond the call of duty. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:40 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrwrenchphd
In my profession, you should only tip when someone goes above & beyond the call of duty. Just my 2 cents.
This is basically what I do. On a standard, booked appointment, no tip. On a special rush job for me I give 'em $20, but not the owner of the shop, the tech that got me in. That way I always get in when I need something done fast by the weekend.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:21 AM
johninar
Drifting

Originally Posted by TedDBere
This is basically what I do. On a standard, booked appointment, no tip. On a special rush job for me I give 'em $20, but not the owner of the shop, the tech that got me in. That way I always get in when I need something done fast by the weekend.
Ted, your guy says he keeps getting counterfeit bills from you. I thought you agreed with the judge to stop doing that.....

Get notified of new replies

To Do you tip your alignment guy?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:21 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Old school rule of thumb is that you do not tip the owners of the business, whether they do the work or not.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:34 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrwrenchphd
Book time averages 2 hrs. I charge $118.75 (1.5hrs) for a 4-wheel alignment. It can take some time especially with some of the auto xer's who what an extreme alignment. When you factor in that my alignment machine & rack cost over $36k , $90 is a deal. And no, I wouldn't feel right being tipped. I'm a professional, I'm doing my job of which I am proud of. Tipping me would be a minor put down. In my profession, you should only tip when someone goes above & beyond the call of duty. Just my 2 cents.
$120 is average to a little lower than the prices in the Bay Area for a standard alignment. Custom Alignment in Mountain View(local race shop) charges over $200. I got a lifetime alignment from Firestone for $170 and have taken my car in quite a few times. The Firestone techs are usually new(young) guys, not making a lot. I'm pretty critical and require them to get my specs, not just within the acceptable range. I sit in the car(weighting the drivers seat) and assist by calling out the numbers on the machine's monitor while they try to get it where I want it. When a young guy making not much more than minimum wage busts his but and does a good job for me, I tip. Usually $20, which is probably 2 hours pay for the guy. $20 is damn cheap to insure I get good service, especially since I'm not paying for the alignment with the one time payment to Firestone. When I get a tech I've had before, they're always happy to see me.

I agree that for a standard or more involved alignment that you are paying full price for, tipping is probably not appropriate.

Dog
Old 08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I do not tip for alignments or other car service where I am charged by the store doing the job. In cases where I am getting free service such as a flat repair on an autocross tire or mounting my race tires and the shop is nervous about damaging my wheels or other liability issues I will throw some money to the guy doing the job. By the way I get just as good of service as the guys who tip.

Bill

Quick Reply: Do you tip your alignment guy?