Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rude!!! I Leave Driver’s Meeting Only to See My Car Being Driven Away by Someone??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rude!!! I Leave Driver’s Meeting Only to See My Car Being Driven Away by Someone??

(I hate to post a B and M thread but what happened to me this past weekend at the NASA Road Am event was one of the weirdest things I ever had happen at a track.)

My job is to do the pack-up and check out at the hotel, but because I had a problem straightening out a future reservation, I arrived at the track and had to go right to the driver’s meeting.

I get to my pit space, park, and see another car pulled in a bit further, but no driver so I figure I’ll just park in my space and head out and find out what’s up later.

Well as I leave the driver’s meeting I look down the road to see my car being driven away by someone—I had no idea who!!!! I couldn’t believe it!!! I rush up and by the time I get there I see a huge hauler in the space where I had been and one of my friends (huge thanks to him) giving the driver the business, telling him he had already told the car driver before the spaces where taken.

It turns out the driver of the parked car made my son, who doesn’t have his driver’s license yet and who had never driven my car before, drive it out of the space and up the road!!!!!

I was hot!!! When I drove back by the car—both of us had out windows up and both of had our mouths were working hard. I was just waiting for the guy to roll down his window or stop.!!

All my stuff was set up there from the day before and it’s not like this was a primo spot or that there were no other areas to pit close by. And my kid felt bad for letting the guy push him around. I was not happy!!

I’ve never had anything like that happen. Totally crazy! And yeah as the back end of the trailor was pulling out of my spot, I gave it a huge and dramatic pretend kick in the ****!

(Unfortunatley the event had other issues at least for the folks in my run group-TT/HPPDE4. I don’t know if it was the large number of cars in the session (I heard anywhere from the mid 60’s to the 80’s) or the lack of experience (or something!!) . Someone supposedly tagged the TT director’s car during the first session trying to exit the track at 13!! There were huge delays the first two sessions on the warm up lap. Seemed like people were driving nose to tail ‘till T5 going 30 mph during the second session!

Gradually things eased, at least I thought so (fog/mist most of the second day didn’t help things though). And really, personally, I find driving like this sorta challenging –in a good way—I know I’m nuts. Although I did have to hear a group of drivers talking about “those Vette drivers and their attitudes”.—I know there are good and bad drivers of every model car, but still people were just a bit edgey maybe because of the disparity of times and equipement? (And yeah I’ve seen two other “jokes” about the Vettes out there on two other forums from this event.)

Some drivers were very good about allowing passes, others, not so much. Finally got to the point if they wouldn’t let me in a reasonable time I would do what I needed to. LOL And if I know I’m not running a quick lap, and just in general, I’ll try my best to let those who need to get around get do so as quick as possible.)

Here’s some of the data from the event:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=236932
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=236265

And thanks so much for listening!!!!!!!!!

Anita
Old 08-12-2007, 07:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Damn Anita

That is bad to hear. I would go over to the NASA Midwest Forum and post this. http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=45

also the Comments section of the Road America Forum. Most of the commets I read were good comments.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There were huge delays the first two sessions on the warm up lap. Seemed like people were driving nose to tail ‘till T5 going 30 mph during the second session!
This has been standard protocol during TT sessions @NASA events. We form like a race group and the leaders "pace" the group for a long period of time....This assures that the leaders , or the FAST cars get a few good laps in before they encounter the slower lapped traffic, which completely ruins their time. At Mid-Ohio we are slow and paced until the 2nd to last corner before we pull the trigger. At Mid-Ohio, even pacing the field like this we only end up with 3 clear laps before lapped traffic..Some of the cars are 30+seconds a lap slower than the fastest cars....

Sorry about your rude encounter....I would have been whipping a "speed knot" in someones forehead (or at least verbally abusing them).
Old 08-12-2007, 09:36 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
This has been standard protocol during TT sessions @NASA events. We form like a race group and the leaders "pace" the group for a long period of time....This assures that the leaders , or the FAST cars get a few good laps in before they encounter the slower lapped traffic, which completely ruins their time. At Mid-Ohio we are slow and paced until the 2nd to last corner before we pull the trigger. At Mid-Ohio, even pacing the field like this we only end up with 3 clear laps before lapped traffic..Some of the cars are 30+seconds a lap slower than the fastest cars....

Sorry about your rude encounter....I would have been whipping a "speed knot" in someones forehead (or at least verbally abusing them).

Sorry to hear about your experience, I've run with two different regions and have had nothing but good experiences
Old 08-12-2007, 11:21 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Whisperer

Some drivers were very good about allowing passes, others, not so much. Finally got to the point if they wouldn’t let me in a reasonable time I would do what I needed to. LOL And if I know I’m not running a quick lap, and just in general, I’ll try my best to let those who need to get around get do so as quick as possible.)

Here’s some of the data from the event:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=236932
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=236265

And thanks so much for listening!!!!!!!!!

Anita

maybe it`s time to "move up"........
Old 08-13-2007, 07:35 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at NASA RD ATL last weekend - it was crowded and people got blocked in but nobody had their cars moved!

TT also had some issues with people not understanding how it is run in NASA (or anywhere else for that matter).

Vettes were also the only "make" called out in the drivers meeting

We were also there in force
Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The problems weren't only with HPDE 4/TT which did have 60+ cars in it. HPDE 3 got only 5 laps one session and 4 the next (the last 2 sessions on Saturday), I think that NASA tried to have too many different things going on. There 2 race groups as well as Skip Barber and the Porsche Cup cars. What was unfortunite for HPDE 3 was that they were after the Barber or Cup cars who required more "clean-up" than the NASA race groups.

But what I thought took the cake was that when 2 of my friends went over to Dave Royce (NASA Midwest Director) to ask about the lack of track time he told them "that was not the case" and "I haven't seen anything like that". Basically calling them liers to there face. Well guess what Dave you just lost 4 members for NASA!!! Me and my friends will be taking our money to events that are more customer friendly and where 20 minutes means 20 minutes. The main reason being is that if you don't see this as a problem then it's never going to be fixed!

Anita I didn't even know about this, I'm assuming Greg was the guy giving him the business for parking in your spot.

Last edited by 96CollectorSport; 08-13-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Dave is a good organizer, but he's also a rather pompus individual when it comes to PR. I've tried to humbly make a suggestion or two before and received the same (lack of) response. Once was after a 3 lap "session" at MO.

Anita, I'm sorry to hear about the bonehead trying to move you. I would have been hot as well. That's just crazy.

I've been happy to stick in HPDE3 b/c the groups are typically smaller and faster (overall) than TT.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

someone stole your car, and you didn't call the police
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading this original post made me mad as hell... I'm here to tell you folks right now, I'd HURT someone BAD for moving my car... There's simply no excuse or reason for anyone other than Joe Gaudette, Jody, Tom, Brian or Ryan getting in my car... I'd go to jail otherwise...

That's utter Crap and I hope they got the message... I'm getting more cranky in my old age, and I can't see a reason anyone should think they had the right to move a total stranger's car... And people wonder why I lock all my stuff up when at the track.

Mike
Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

don't leave the keys in the car
Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Thanks so much for reading and responding everyone!! I really appreciate it!!!

I wrote up what happened earlier in the week but was hesitant to post. It just kept bugging me though, so I appreciate knowing that I wasn't "overreacting" or something because it made me so mad.

And I hope that folks realize that the car jacker and the NASA event itself were two different issues. This was my 4th NASA event (second one at this track, third TT/4 event) and when I have interacted with someone at NASA it's usually been Bill M who has always been a pleasure to deal with.

The event itself was different I think because of the large number of cars, the lack of a seperate TT only session and the seeming wide range of driver/track experience. The days were long too. Unfortunately because the sessions were only 20 minutes and because of the extended warm up procedure, the available time to sort out the cars and get a clean lap was very short.

*****And yeah moving up, taking my keys and kicking some butt are all good ideas, so thanks!! LOL*****

Looking back on some of the stuff that's happened at the track cracks me up now (of course I wasn't always laughing when it happened). I never realized just how gossipy people can be either 'till I was refered to this post last year from a board I don't frequent when my engine blew. First post--first line I think--yeah I'm the Z06 he's talking about and telling incorrect things aboutHere!

And Joel, the defender wasn't Greg, it was J. (I don't want to embarass him--too much LOL), but you should know you do have to watch out for us quiet types.LOL

Thanks again everyone for letting me vent!

Anita

Last edited by Z06 Whisperer; 08-15-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anita,

I did see your son move your car and even thought why is he moving it he is only fifteen. Had I known the situation I would have spoke up in your defense.

Where else did you read about the Vettes, I know we wre not liked in our group at all! The guy in the Carrera belonged in group ONE!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
But what I thought took the cake was that when 2 of my friends went over to Dave Royce (NASA Midwest Director) to ask about the lack of track time he told them "that was not the case" and "I haven't seen anything like that". Basically calling them liers to there face. Well guess what Dave you just lost 4 members for NASA!!! Me and my friends will be taking our money to events that are more customer friendly and where 20 minutes means 20 minutes. The main reason being is that if you don't see this as a problem then it's never going to be fixed!
Dave Royce is one of the primary reasons that four of us from the MidAtlantic region refuse to go back to the Oh/In events. To say that
Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
he's also a rather pompus individual
is like saying Adolf Hitler was just misunderstood.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by Todd Z
Anita,

I did see your son move your car and even thought why is he moving it he is only fifteen. Had I known the situation I would have spoke up in your defense.

Where else did you read about the Vettes, I know we wre not liked in our group at all! The guy in the Carrera belonged in group ONE!
Todd,
So sorry I didn't get back to you sooner!!! No worries about what happened up there--it all happened so quick anyway--no big deal, but I do appreciate your offer of help!!

Now about the other posts I was refering too--Of course I already opened my big mouth about them (and became a gossip myself LOL), but I don't want to maybe stir anyone up further. Plus none I saw were about you all. LOL

Looking at the first post I saw I would actually call it benign. He shoudl just do what I did and quit being jealous of Vettes and buy one. LOL I think I may actually know who posted it and even talked to him on Sun. He came up to me and asked it if was ok he did pass me in the carosel--I was slooow that session. I told him of course it was because I had signaled him to do it. He then laughed and said it was actually really fun to do it and pass there. (I try to give folks a little passing excitement every now and then LOL).

"I had a great time this weekend. Thanks to all of the volunteers and the Madbrew crew!!! TT was a blast with all of the cars. But come on do you think we could get anymore Corvettes out there Just kidding, I enjoyed running with the Vettes, I just have never seen that many in TT."

The second post (from a different forum) is also by someone I know/like/respect but I think it shows his frustration with the event in general not just specific cars like Z06's. He does tease about Vettes a lot though. Plus don't worry, since he's faster then me when he came up behind me once I gave him a premature pass and put him to use sweeping some of the slow cars ahead out of the way so I could follow for a bit in his wake. LOL

"Quote:
Originally Posted by xx
By the way, I heard several guys complaining about the NASA TT/Group 4 (also read your Email x). Out of curiousity, why didn't they permit open passing as usual for that group? Someone NASA official (Bill M?) must have been asked and/or explained that.

Well, I talked to Bill and the "no passing" in the turns was a surprise to him when he read it on the NASA web site on Wednesday of last week. Dave said he had planned on possibly opening up the passing to turns as well just like all other NASA events have run for HPDE4 in the past. But as a conservative move they started out no passing in the turns and it just never got opened up! Who dropped the ball? It's anybody's guess.

The worst part was there were three cars (two of them Z06's) running laps of maybe 2:38 - 2:42 but they had more power than me and I could not pass them in the straights. They didn't want us passing in the braking zones either! None of these assclowns would ever lift so you're stuck riding their *** (at 12" to 18" in some places) lap after lap. Blue Flag?!?! What's that!?!? Never saw them!?!? One time I was able to snooker the one Z06 behind the '68 Shelby on the front straight and after I passed him I could not see him in my rearview mirror by the time I got to turn 6.

Tom (Black Death) and I both talked to the one guy in the Caddy CTSV and he said right to our faces "If you can't pass me, tough ****! I aint lifting for anybody" So you had to ride his *** at an unsafe distance, wait for him to drive off track and then pass his sorry ***!

All TT cars go into HPDE4 no matter how slow. VW Bugs, Toyota Prius, you name it! These guys are the furthest thing from a "racer" you will ever see!

It's really too bad because other than my "on track" experiences, everything was great. Maybe more like fantastic! Seeing old friends, the Mad Brew, the parties, the camaraderie, the food, meeting new friends, X's Miata race video, heck, just seeing X is a show in itself, (did I mention the Mad Brew!?!?) It all was outstanding. And the camping! That was one of the best parts! Can you believe it!? First time camping at Road America in five years!! Woo hoo! That was a real treat! Oh, and the videos are going to be pretty good. The guy over driving the white Z06 in order to prevent a Mustang from passing him, got the video of him crashing in 6. I got video of the Caddy driving off track so we could pass his sorry ***. Maybe I'll get in a little better mood once I have all of those videos posted?

There is still a real sour taste in my mouth and I'm not sure if it's ever going to go away. Not sure at this point if I even want to go through the NASA Comp School at Gingerman in September! I told Dave to put me on hold for it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

Last edited by Z06 Whisperer; 08-21-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Anita,
Thanks for posting the info from the other threads I'm sure there were some of us that were wondering.
That kind of stuff always happens at Road America, high HP cars will have an advantage and it's there resposibility to let a better handling car by, unfortunatily that's not always the case. I have to agree with the guy in the Caddy, I talked with him also and he was sort of bragging about getting in peoples way, not cool!! There will always be people at DE's that refuse to let people pass. That's why you have debriefing sessions after your events if you don't say something nothing will get resolved. Unfortunatly most people are too polite to insult peoples driving in front of a group especially one as large as yours.
See you this weekend where the run groups will be back to normal and parking won't be such a big deal, not to mention do't people know that that is [B]our[B] little corner of the pits?
Oh BTW you will have a little competition in the time attack I think John and Greg will be giving it a try this year.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

I hope you brought the Caddie incident up in the driver meeting or to Bill personally. I ran a 2:30 and won on day one in TTA; but i admit to race passing in the braking zones, corner entry etc because of the problems you noted. Not what NASA wants to see and i think that quote would have landed him in a chat with Bill. You know who i am Anita, if you need help at one of these things let me know and I will be happy to try. Self policing has been effective in the past. RA was a challenge, the other MW events haven't been this way, at least this year that I can recall.

Get notified of new replies

To Rude!!! I Leave Driver’s Meeting Only to See My Car Being Driven Away by Someone??

Old 08-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Reading this makes me reluctant to join NASA. I was planning to for next season as I'd like to get more track time in. I really like the slower pace less crowded Road America that I have been getting with club racing. My only real reason for thinking about NASA was to do something more competitive and I want to stay at RA since it's only a few mins away witch limits the dates to go.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

Several of us have been in discussion with the TT director for the midwest and there will be changes next year at RA. I wouldn't make a judgement on NASA just on this thread. There was no reason even with the number of cars this couldn't have been a great event for everybody and I really believe next year will be much better.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:49 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Nasa southeast is the best, we have session like that as well. In fact we had 1 one lap session (when a cup car didnt wait on the warm up lap and planted himself in the wall). 1 three lap session (because we were behind) and one completely missed session.

But for the money you pay, where else are you going to get 8 sessions in two days and have the type of quality event that Nasa holds??? I havent been to one. Yeah there are some bugs to work out but let's remember a lot of aspects of nasa are just getting started so patience is a virtue. But there is no excuse for the director not to be polite to people.

I was at RA this weekend too and there were tons of Z06's, AWESOME.

Quick Reply: Rude!!! I Leave Driver’s Meeting Only to See My Car Being Driven Away by Someone??