Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost done modding my tow rig :)

Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Almost done modding my tow rig :)

Earlier this year I inherited a 2004 GMC Canyon from my Grandfather: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1645828. I decided to keep the truck and use it as a great daily driver and mod it to tow the car on an open trailer vs. trading it in.

Many people on the lcoal car forums are convinced I will die trying to tow w/ this truck, but I've done my homework. So... mods are almost complete on project "You should have bought a bigger truck and you're going to die towing with that thing".

The main goal of project "should have bought a bigger truck and you're going to die towing with that thing" is to safely tow 5000-6000 lbs.

The truck: 2004 GMC Canyon SLE
*extended cab
*2WD
*4L60E automatic (same as in the fullsizes)
*Factory tow package (class III hitch, autolocker dif, trans cooler (enclosed in factory radiator)

The Important Mods:
*B&M auxillary trans cooler
*Trailer brake controller
*7-pin harness upgrade (truck comes w/ 4-pin)
*Rear ride helper springs
*Equalizer hitch w/ sway control

Misc. Mods:
*35% tint
*Deflecta-shield bed box
*Rhino liner
*Weather-tech floor liners

Truck w/ liner, tint, bed box, and nerf bars removed... really cleaned up the look.

Air-lift ride control springs

Air nozzles for springs

Inertia switch trailer brake controller - senses deceleration and automatically adjusts braking

7-pin upgrade

Trans coler installed

Lines protected and tied into factory return line

Equalizer hitch - not setup yet

K&N intake I just got... need to install and waiting on my tuned PCM to get back from PCM4less.

The first big test will be towing to VIR for the Mazdadrivers event September 1st and 2nd. Purchased a 18ft full deck trailer from Sweet Rivers Trailers in SC specifically constructed w/ a low deck height for Corvettes, hotrods, etc.

It's nice to mod something w/o the vette tax.

~Brian
Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know how it turns out.

I borrowed a friend's 24' enclosed trailer last month and pulled it with my 1/2 ton Avalanche with tow package.

It did pretty good but even with the equalizer hitch I felt the front end was a little light. I drove in the rain going up and it would get a little too squirelly for me. At 70-75mph it was right on the edge of having enough power without downshifting.

The extra drag of the enclosed trailer makes a big difference. I pulled my '72 back from Mississippi on an open trailer and could hardly tell it was back there.

I'm looking for a F250 diesel right now.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I looked seriously at a crew cab 4x2 Silverado, but to get one w/ low miles and in near perfect shape like the Canyon is would have been 8k to 10k on top of the value of the Canyon. Didn't want to do that.

If this doesn't work out I may reconsider, but after all my reasearch, towing 4000lbs in a uhaul, etc I'm confident she'll be fine.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:20 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Brian ... does the source you used for trailer make their own?
Prices/features look good
Did you do much comparo with other mfgrs?
You can PM me if you wish.
TIA ...
DennyM
Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

nice work man...Ill be at mazda too...cant wait to see/hear how it tows.

I didnt realize you bought a trailer...did your dad get one too?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:12 PM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

If I'm not mistaken you can make almost anything PULL the trailer reasonably well but what qualifies the truck for properly sized for it's load is all about STOPPING that large load quickly in less than desireable conditions when needed. Sometimes the sheer cubic inches of a larger truck come into play (like in windy times etc). Good luck anyway.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Brian ... does the source you used for trailer make their own?
Prices/features look good
Did you do much comparo with other mfgrs?
You can PM me if you wish.
TIA ...
DennyM
Yes... it's from Sweet Rivers Trailers. It's a custom lower deck height trailer for hotrods, vettes, etc. The dovetail is 6" lower than their standard car trailer. I looked at econo-trailer, Kaufman, etc. I almsot went w/ a Texas Rollback, but didn't want to spend that much.
Originally Posted by Oyishdog
nice work man...Ill be at mazda too...cant wait to see/hear how it tows.

I didnt realize you bought a trailer...did your dad get one too?
Nope... but he picked it up for me from SC and is bringing it up to me on Saturday So if you go to your parents' place you'll see it in the driveway.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll vote with the "your gonna die" camp. or at least kill someone else in the process. Do they even consider that a 1500 series truck? I think the biggest clue is the 4 cylinder motor.

Even my Astro van is rated to 5000 lbs.

Better get a big umbrella policy
Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My 2001 Grand Cherokke has no problem pulling vette and trailer.

I got my trailer from Sweet River too. Nice people. I got a solid steel tilt back with dual electric brakes.

Grand Cherokke has no problem pulling it and the vette up the mountain sides of PA. I have the 4.7 (V8) with quadra drive. I installed the air spring adjuster and that's it.

Don't think you'll have too much problem pulling it with your truck.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:13 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

your trans cooler is mounted upside down. On those types of coolers the only way to make sure the fluid travels through all the tubes is the mount the inlet/outlet upwards. The way you have it fluid follows the path of least resistance and will first go through the lower tubes. It may never travel all the way to the top so your cooling will suffer.
-V
Old 08-14-2007, 11:32 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
I'll vote with the "your gonna die" camp. or at least kill someone else in the process. Do they even consider that a 1500 series truck? I think the biggest clue is the 4 cylinder motor.

Even my Astro van is rated to 5000 lbs.

Better get a big umbrella policy
His truck has the inline 5. In all seriousness, someone earlier in the thread hit the nail on the head. It's not power, hell i can pull my trailer with a Taurus if I want to. Controlling the load is an entirely different story.

Brian, the main thing I want to touch on is the wieght of Canyons. I don't recall but they can't wiegh too much at all and they don't have a very long wheelbase. You've set the truck up as best as you can for what you want to do but be aware it still has physical limitations that nothing can overcome, like braking and simply not having a frame designed to deal with a huge amount of towing. If you remember I had a Tahoe that I used to pull my car with when I was still doing DE's. I was fine on an 18ft brimar because Tahoes like mine were rated at 7800lbs towing. Let me assure you that a Tahoe is a much more substantial truck to tow with than a Canyon and when I began to bring more gear, tires and people to the track the Tahoe began to struggle. Most vehicles tow well right up until you near their limits then the performance takes a drastic turn south in terms of ease and safety. Just be aware, drive gently and don't push the truck. Allow a ton of room to stop.

Joe
Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by trackboss
your trans cooler is mounted upside down. On those types of coolers the only way to make sure the fluid travels through all the tubes is the mount the inlet/outlet upwards. The way you have it fluid follows the path of least resistance and will first go through the lower tubes. It may never travel all the way to the top so your cooling will suffer.
-V
I'll look into that, thanks.
Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
His truck has the inline 5. In all seriousness, someone earlier in the thread hit the nail on the head. It's not power, hell i can pull my trailer with a Taurus if I want to. Controlling the load is an entirely different story.

Brian, the main thing I want to touch on is the wieght of Canyons. I don't recall but they can't wiegh too much at all and they don't have a very long wheelbase. You've set the truck up as best as you can for what you want to do but be aware it still has physical limitations that nothing can overcome, like braking and simply not having a frame designed to deal with a huge amount of towing. If you remember I had a Tahoe that I used to pull my car with when I was still doing DE's. I was fine on an 18ft brimar because Tahoes like mine were rated at 7800lbs towing. Let me assure you that a Tahoe is a much more substantial truck to tow with than a Canyon and when I began to bring more gear, tires and people to the track the Tahoe began to struggle. Most vehicles tow well right up until you near their limits then the performance takes a drastic turn south in terms of ease and safety. Just be aware, drive gently and don't push the truck. Allow a ton of room to stop.

Joe
Truck has a 3.5 I-5... makes around 200 rwhp w/ an intake and a tune, factory rated at 220hp/225 ft.lbs.

It does have a longer wheelbase as it's and extended cab mid-size. The truck weights 3576lbs in it's current configuration, and has the 4L60e trans out of the fullsizes.

I will only be going to VIR mostly for now... it won't be a problem
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

leave good stopping distance and keep speeds at 55. Big difference between 55 & 65 if you need to stop or maneuver fast. I didn't even feel comfortable in the Excusion until it was set up properly. It is still is not as relaxing as the dooley Dodge. When it was not set up properly I was exhausted before I even did a lap in the car just getting to the track. Be safe! Just looked at max towing weight and it is 4000 lb. & 9000 gross you will have you hands full.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-15-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

You will be fine although you may have to go with a 3:73 axle. I pulled my current trailer with a 1991 Olds Bravada for 6 years. Biggest problem was lack of horsepower with the 160 horse V6 and 3:42 gears. The Bravada actually stopped the trailer better than either of my two Tahoes (99 and 03). Weight of the Bravada was 4300 lbs. Vs 5200 for my current Tahoe which stops faster with the trailer attached since the trailer brakes not only slow the trailer they make up for the poor Tahoe brakes. The Bravada could stop the trailer when going down hill even if the trailer brakes weren't being used can't say that about the Tahoes.

Control is about tongue weight and if you have sufficient tongue weight (probably 450 to 550 lbs depending on the loaded weight of your trailer) the trailer will follow along nicely. The weight distribution hitch will keep the front wheels on the ground and provide some sway control but you can add a sway control bar if needed.

Bill
Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Thanks Bill... the equalizer hitch I have actually incorporates sway control bars in it's design.

The truck will have 200rwhp w/ the intake and tune... I don't see power being an issue.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xtream1
If I'm not mistaken you can make almost anything PULL the trailer reasonably well but what qualifies the truck for properly sized for it's load is all about STOPPING that large load quickly in less than desireable conditions when needed. Sometimes the sheer cubic inches of a larger truck come into play (like in windy times etc). Good luck anyway.
That's what "trailer brakes" are for

The brakes on the trailer will stop it (at gross) AND the truck!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

UPDATE:

Seeing as I can't leave anything stock I decided to ad an intake and get a performance/towing tune from PCM4Less. Still waiting on the PCM to come back so I decided to install the intake tonight.

I decided to go w/ the "chrome" series 77 because it looks far better and more integrated than the plastic one. Plus, it goes well w/ my chrome bumpers, grille, and bed box. I say "chrome" because it's not chrome, it's some kind of coating, the directions say to wax it and not use metal polish becuaes it will scratch the finish.

The parts layed out:

Stock intake removed:

Open for business:

After checking the throttle blade and seeing some carbon, I decided to remove it and clean it.

Dirty TB, 21,500 miles of street use:

Cleaned w/ carb/choke cleaner and paper towels:

Installed:

I'm not a fan of "free advertising" and I like things to look as if they came from the factory, so I removed the K&N decal. It just peeled off, then some goo gone took care of the adhesive.

All done:

Test drive: The car is as quiet as stock at idle, cruise, and normal acceleration which is great. I still have the stock exhaust and wnat to keep it quiet. However, as you lay into the throttle the engine noise is much louder and crisper. It's not annoying by any means and sounds agressive. As for power... who knows, we'll see after the tune. I didn't dyno the truck. Driving home tonight w/ cruise control on 50 it seemed to downshift left going up inclines.

Cya,
Brian

Get notified of new replies

To Almost done modding my tow rig :)

Old 08-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Funny part - I remember when I put some mods on my truck...you thought i was crazy and should "pick one" and mod it (hinting at the car only!). Funny how things change

btw, I like that "chrome"
Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I know man... If I had the spare dough I'd get a cowl hood and Silverado SS 20's and then lower it a few inches
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Got the PCM in today... very noticable difference... truck pulls much harder and smoother at WOT. Around town the trans is tuned much better, shift firmess is up one notch and the shift parameters are set such that it accelerates quicker/easier. Before the tune it had a tendancy to put itself in 3rd quickly and lug along, now it holds 2nd better.

All in all much better

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Almost done modding my tow rig :)