Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pad choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Default brake pad choice

After this weekends track day, I have decided to try some more race prepared brake pads on the Grand Sport.With the new DOT 5,1 fluid, I dont boil the brake fluid any more , but the stock OEM pads runs hot and loose power after a few laps...

What "race" pads can you run, that also works on the street?
Has anyone tried EBC "red stuff"
I plan on adding brake ducts later on, but do I risk loosing the advantage of "race" /high temp pads, when I also cool my brakes additionally?

The car performs great, all I want is more bite on my brakes, and I want the bit to last has they get a little hotter.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Performance Friction (PFC), Hawk, Carbotech, and Wilwood all make a range of brake pads, from mild to full race pads. Some forum members use race pads on the street, but I don't recommend that. I use Pagid Blue for the street, and PFC-01 on the track.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:43 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try Hawk HP+ pads. They give you the added bite you are looking for, and work fine on the street. But they do produce a bit of dust. That's the trade-off when going to most of the higher performance pads. Keep an eye on your rotors when you move to race/street pads. They wear a lot faster and stock rotors are prone to cracking.

Just curious, but why did you go with DOT 5.1 fluid? Silicone? Generally, silicone fluids don't hold up well to high heat generated by tracking the car. IMHO, I'd have stuck with a DOT 3/4, like ATE Super Blue or Motul 600. But YMMV. Did you completely flush the system including the ABS when going to 5.1? The old stock DOT 3 is not compatible with 5.1, IIRC, and mixing them can cause problems.

As for ducts, they will not cool your brakes below operating temperature. But they will help your brakes handle the added heat load of running on the track. No reason not to do it.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Just curious, but why did you go with DOT 5.1 fluid? Silicone? Generally, silicone fluids don't hold up well to high heat generated by tracking the car. IMHO, I'd have stuck with a DOT 3/4, like ATE Super Blue or Motul 600. But YMMV. Did you completely flush the system including the ABS when going to 5.1? The old stock DOT 3 is not compatible with 5.1, IIRC, and mixing them can cause problems.
DOT 5 is silicone. DOT 5.1 is not and will mix with DOT 3/4 fluid OK. I have been using 5.1 for many years with no problems. DOT 5.1 has higher wet and dry boiling point than most DOT 3/4 fluids.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MNElectronBlue2002
DOT 5 is silicone. DOT 5.1 is not and will mix with DOT 3/4 fluid OK. I have been using 5.1 for many years with no problems. DOT 5.1 has higher wet and dry boiling point than most DOT 3/4 fluids.

Yes, that why...Next time I will propperly use Castrol DOT4, has it has an ebven higher boiling point than my current DOT 5.1.

Has anyone tried EBC "yellow stuff", since that avalible where I live, I wonder if is can be use on the street?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:00 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MNElectronBlue2002
Thanks for the info. Good to know. I've heard nightmare stories about people mixing silicone in with regular fluid by accident, so I just steer clear of anything with a 5 in it. My bad. I'm a big fan of ATE Super Blue, it has served me well for many years, and not expensive compared to the others. And if you don't like the blue color, they make an amber/clear fluid as well. NAYYY, just a happy ATE customer.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Look at the WET boiling points not the dry boiling points. Most fluid will be saturated with water 3-4% with in a week.
Any brake fluid that has a WET boiling point as close to if not above 400* is good to use. Remember brake fluid still must be checked after the first day and the calipers bleed before day two.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Look at the WET boiling points not the dry boiling points. Most fluid will be saturated with water 3-4% with in a week.
Any brake fluid that has a WET boiling point as close to if not above 400* is good to use. Remember brake fluid still must be checked after the first day and the calipers bleed before day two.
Unless you fully flush it often, the wet point is more important.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:08 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I still love my Carbotechs...and you can run them on street or track...and the dust is non-corrosive!! Awesome stuff!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I still love my Carbotechs...and you can run them on street or track...and the dust is non-corrosive!! Awesome stuff!!!
Witch ones are you using for dual use? I have some 8's that I have been considering leaving on.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:33 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Witch ones are you using for dual use? I have some 8's that I have been considering leaving on.
You can easily run XP12s F and 10s R on the street with no issues at all. I don't drive mine on the street much any more, but when I did, that combination was just fine!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
You can easily run XP12s F and 10s R on the street with no issues at all. I don't drive mine on the street much any more, but when I did, that combination was just fine!
I run the XP12 F & XP10 rears on the street. In fact they are WtKnght hand-me-downs.

I used Hawks on my GS. The spare set of wheels still has brake pad residue that won't come off.

I thought the XP9 F and Panther+ R combo was good enough for 2 mile circuits and very little dust on the street. Don't know if they still make those. XP10 fronts get the job done at larger faster tracks like Road America. XP12 has a little more bite, but the wear is a little more. All the Carbotech pads are rotor friendly.

Get notified of new replies

To brake pad choice

Quick Reply: brake pad choice