Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you David Farmer

Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thank you David Farmer

This may be a little off the topic for this section of the forum, but bear with me.
David set up my C4 (Butt Ugly) some time ago with suggestions and hands on setting the alignment, toe, castor, and whatever magic he performs. Since then, the car has stuck much better and lap times are testimoney to his skill.

My C5 vert has had a pull to the right forever. I could not release my grip on the steeriing wheel and the car was tiring to drive. What the heck- lets see what David can do with it. David worked his magic with the most basic tools and the problem is gone. He did what the guys with the sophisticated computer alignments equipment could not do.

When you are going through alignment issues, this seems to prove to me that it is mostly skill, knowledge and patience, not the equipment. For anybody in this part of the country setting up your track car, David is a valuable resource that I would encourage you to use.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Yea, Daves ok................
Old 08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

He sure as heck gets my vote.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kudos to David!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:05 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Working on Wally's beautiful car in his Climate Controlled Shop is always my pleasure. 45% Rocket Science, 45% Black Magic, combined with another 10% luck will usually do the trick.

Wally's even figured out the funny faces I make when I'm "thinking" so I don't even have to tell him to shut up when I get confused
Old 08-21-2007, 11:17 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

David,

Just got back from VIR for the first time and the first time having my Z on the track. Never got comfortable in it. I took my TA as a back up and ran a session with it and had a blast. Feels like something is not right with my rear suspension in the Z , or is there that much difference between IRS and the fixed axle and I need to get used to it. Can you look at it to see if it is ok, or could the stealership, or tire place, or do you know someone in the Hickory area? Do you have some pics of how it should look? Are there things that come loose that I should look for underneath? It also has the some floaty feeling when I am on it hard in a straight line. I am really confused here. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Working on Wally's beautiful car in his Climate Controlled Shop is always my pleasure. 45% Rocket Science, 45% Black Magic, combined with another 10% luck will usually do the trick.

Wally's even figured out the funny faces I make when I'm "thinking" so I don't even have to tell him to shut up when I get confused
I wanted to move into his "shop"

Wally and David are both stand up guys
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by varkwso
Wally and David are both stand up guys
Using Wally in the same sentence...........hum
Wally
Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

waddisme, your Vette should be 200% more stable (rear speaking) than any straight axle car. I race an F-body for years, and rear grip was non-existent compared to every corvette I've driven, and especially C5's and C6's. PM me some details on the cars setup (or if stock), and we'll try and sort things out.

You could have a mechanical issue, or just an alignment issue, but the car should be rock solid at any point below 150mph (they can get a little "floaty" above that"
Old 08-23-2007, 04:56 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone wanna breathe on my car?

I'll be testing out the wilwood sl-6's this weekend at summit. From a neighborhood romp, they feel pretty solid, but only track time will tell.

Also, the pads are nearly 2x as thick as stock c5 pads.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:37 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

wallyman, did you change brakes in an attempt to correct all of the problems you were having, or because you simply want longer-lasting brakes????? Just have realistic expectations, because unless the pistons are custom sized to improve bias (highly doubt it), your car won't stop any better when cold. In theory they should be able to hold more heat, and deflect less once hot, but big brakes don't help a cold system. Sounds like the double-pad-life is a huge plus however.

Give em' a "romp" down the "chute" for me!
Old 08-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
I'll be testing out the wilwood sl-6's this weekend at summit. From a neighborhood romp, they feel pretty solid, but only track time will tell.

Also, the pads are nearly 2x as thick as stock c5 pads.
Yes, please post review and details when you have them Very interested in the setup whenever I can afford it...
Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
wallyman, did you change brakes in an attempt to correct all of the problems you were having, or because you simply want longer-lasting brakes????? Just have realistic expectations, because unless the pistons are custom sized to improve bias (highly doubt it), your car won't stop any better when cold. In theory they should be able to hold more heat, and deflect less once hot, but big brakes don't help a cold system. Sounds like the double-pad-life is a huge plus however.

Give em' a "romp" down the "chute" for me!
longer lasting brakes. im sick of buying pads every weekend. It was a purely financial decision. should pay for itself within a few seasons.

Get notified of new replies

To Thank you David Farmer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thank you David Farmer