Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Lap of America (cannonball) Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default One Lap of America (cannonball) Advice needed

A buddy and I are planning to enter the '08 One Lap of America Rally and want to get a head start on planning and practicing.. We are combing the internet looking for information and tips.. Has anyone here run the One Lap of America race (it seems like there were quite a few corvette entrants the last few years)?

So far we know the following:
a. We need AT LEAST two driving schools (were planning on about 5.. with a few HPDE in between).
b. We need fire suits and Snell 2000 helmets
c. The car needs a fire extinguisher
d. bring cold weather gear
e. bring essential fluids
f. Walk the course before the run if you can (early mornings? late nights?)

We'd appreciate any help/advice.. especially on the following:

1. Tires:We've read the tire rack tire policy (3 set max).. how many sets do you guys recommend we plan for? we're thinking Michelin PS2's
2. What about a roll cage (the car will be basically stock)?
3. Track insurance.. were the best place to go? or any companies to check out?
4. Electronic counter measures (is this a necessity)?
5. Driver shift lengths (is it better to swap drivers every tank or each day or what)?

When they post the course we plan on hitting a few of the track before the event just to get familiar..

ok so what are we missing.. I'm sure there is a ton more..

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Z06_BluByU; 08-20-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:27 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Horsepower

I just wanted to be first! There are many on here that have ran the event and will give you lots of advice.

Randy
Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny in the driver's seat!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by 383_BluByU
So far we know the following:
a. We need AT LEAST two driving schools (were planning on about 5.. with a few HPDE in between).
Yep, Brock will put on a school and the last two years I have also approved people through my SeatTime events. Don't worry about being "fast" - do worry about being safe.. Brock wants people that can keep a cool head in bad situations. This means not trying to yank the car back on track, being aware, not putting the car in situations you shouldn't. As the week goes on you get more tired and those things are more likely, so you want to have a good head start on stupidity.

b. We need fire suits and Snell 2000 helmets
Yep.. I saw a team do it this year with one suit and helmet between them (three drivers) I say "ick" but it worked well for them and the limited luggage space.

c. The car needs a fire extinguisher
Yea.. pretty much a no-brainer for a track car though.. bolted to the floor right in front of the passenger front seat is a good, easy to reach space and doesn't take up leg room.

d. bring cold weather gear
And hot weather gear, and in between gear, and rain gear.. 2006 we saw 40' and rain through 90' and sunny.

e. bring essential fluids
yea.. plan on a brake fluid bleed at least once during the week.. you don't get "much" track time all things considered, but new tracks means lots of overbraking many times.

f. Walk the course before the run if you can (early mornings? late nights?)
Early mornings. Plan to arrive at the track when it opens, usually 7am to get at least one walk. depending on the drive the night before, Brock usually likes people off track at 8am or so.

We'd appreciate any help/advice.. especially on the following:

1. Tires:We've read the tire rack tire policy (3 set max).. how many sets do you guys recommend we plan for? we're thinking Michelin PS2's
The rule is you can only buy 3 at the discount.. you can buy and use more. I think a set for testing and a set for the event is plenty reasonable, and use two of the testing set for your emergency spares. (if you are not hard on tires, I think two test days and the event can easily be done on one set.. so you *could* get away with 6 total tires.

2. What about a roll cage (the car will be basically stock)?
You dont HAVE to have it, but it's your neck.. I am going to assume you are doing this in a vette, so it shouldn't take away much sleeping space, so uh.. yea. (this is kind of like that $10 helmet thing.. if you have a $10 head..

3. Track insurance.. were the best place to go? or any companies to check out?
For on track? good luck with that. Probably not worth the deductible and premium if you found it. You will need a slightly higher coverage to do the event though, $500k or something.

4. Electronic counter measures (is this a necessity)?
Nope.. no TSD stuff any more. Brock usually provides decent route book, and I have been using a GPS computer, cell phones, etc and we have done fine.

5. Driver shift lengths (is it better to swap drivers every tank or each day or what)?
This is something you will get a feel for after a couple of days and driver preference. For instance when I get done running, the heart is up, I am excited and usually leave the track, fill up and then drive the first shift. I have done it with my dad who does great for the 12-3am shift.. etc.

I would say to start, each drive a longer stint 2-3 hours, then start swapping off every 2. Get out before you get tired. pushing early in the week just makes things horrible later in the week, so don't be a hero.

I have done 4 of these things so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Jon K

Last edited by racerjon1; 08-21-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: clarification :D
Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

We did our 5th this year as well. John hit most of the points. If you really want to do 5 drivers schools, wait till the route comes out about a month from now and try and fill your schools at tracks the events will be.

I personally think your best off driving as long as you can rather then the switching every few hours on your transits. That's what;s worked best for us and we are usually in the 3rd or 4th run groups but are typically the first at the hotels. Though I have been known to exceed the speed limit by a mile an hour or two.

Lastly don't run alone in your transits. Brock and Brocker will tell you that's the best but they are wrong. Sh*t will happen to you or your friends you meet during the event. Not all Lappers will help you ( ) if your busted on the side of the road. and having at least one car with you can save your a**.

I have done this 4 times in a Vette. Any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Here are a couple recap links one from 05, 06 and another from 07.

06's is abbreviated because well Sh*t happened

07 is shorter because we ran an AUDI and CKS is a Vette forum so we kept it short and sweet. The 05 recap is the best as far as details and such. 03 was our first year and a real learning curve.

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/f...lap+of+america

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/f...20america&st=0

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/f...showtopic=6772

Anyway good luck with the event. There is really nothing quite like it.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by RogueVette
I personally think your best off driving as long as you can rather then the switching every few hours on your transits. That's what;s worked best for us and we are usually in the 3rd or 4th run groups but are typically the first at the hotels. Though I have been known to exceed the speed limit by a mile an hour or two.
Yea, figuring out drivers preferences is the key here.. it's why I was kinda loose on it. Different people will want to do different stuff, like a 24 hour endurance race, different teams have different schedules.

Originally Posted by RogueVette
Lastly don't run alone in your transits. Brock and Brocker will tell you that's the best but they are wrong. Sh*t will happen to you or your friends you meet during the event. Not all Lappers will help you ( ) if your busted on the side of the road. and having at least one car with you can save your a**.
This is good too, what Brock (sr) and Brocker (jr) say is "don't run in packs" I take that to mean "3+ isn't a good idea" but the buddy system, yes it's a good idea.

On the stopping thing, I still feel bad about not stopping for a car that was broke this year. We (co-drivers and I) decided not to stop because there were 6 cars and we didn't figure there needed to be any more on the side of the road. What it turns out is that they were hoping for a specific tool. If in that situation, have one of the other stopped cars wave down fellow One Lappers who may assume that since there is help, all is taken care of.

A single car on the side of the road - I sure as heck hope no-one would drive by that's in the event.

Jon K
Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Wow thanks for the detailed responses.. I was planning on entering my vette.. but my partner wants to run his Porsche instead..(who am I to complain.. ).. Hey I love vettes.. but when it comes down to it.. I love anything fast.. We are planning on attending the PDE first (Porsche Driving experience).. Its a two day school at Barber motor park.. We figured that would be a good start.. then on to RR and maybe sebring.. the rest we'll fill in with schools at the various tracks posted in October.. We want to be sure we are very familiar with the car before we head out on the event with it! does this plan sound adequate? Also, do the tracks have a place to swap tires out or do you guys have them mounted at a local tire shop?!?! what about gear if you don't have a trailer?!?!

Thanks for all your input!!

Last edited by Z06_BluByU; 08-20-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Work on getting as much seat time on the first road course on the route. This will help you in the long run (so to speak). Its at the first road course that start position for each entrant is determined for the rest of the event. Rule of thumb with me has always been get a "good" start position by finishing within the top thirty so I will be able to get on the road early after my runs each day. Also do not get carried away with what you bring/pack (including trailers). The key is to get as much sleep as one can. The earlier (quicker) you can pack up and leave, the more time for sleep when you arrive at the hotel that night.

Remember its One Lap, disagreements & frustration may create tension with you and your co-driver. It'll be a good time, in the end you will be a full fledge Lap Dog and have life long friends.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

We want to be sure we are very familiar with the car before we head out on the event with it! does this plan sound adequate? Also, do the tracks have a place to swap tires out or do you guys have them mounted at a local tire shop?!?! what about gear if you don't have a trailer?!?!
You are only allowed to carry one spare per tire size (if your car has staggered sizes). Brock will allow in the event of emergency tires to be replaced if you did not bring a spare. They will stamp and spray paint the tires to prevent anyone from getting cute. I have never had a flat or tire issue during any One Lap I've run.

I have nailed alligators (truck tire tread) on the highway which caused some serious damage to my car.

Get to know the car you will be running. Work on the One Lap format of One recon lap, three hot laps and one cool down lap. Its easy to get into a routine of driving twenty minutes sessions at DEs. Do a few autocrosses to get a feel of "attacking" the course.

Last edited by rudyarias; 08-21-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Also, do the tracks have a place to swap tires out or do you guys have them mounted at a local tire shop?!?! what about gear if you don't have a trailer?!?!

Thanks for all your input!!
If you don't have a trailer bringing much along might be tough.. I have had one issue with a tire in my 4 events, which was a nasty flat spot due to ABS brakes failing.

For the tires, if you bring them dismounted, then you would have to find a shop. This year we brought ours dismounted and didn't have an issue, but other years I brought them on wheels.

I have used a roof rack but won't again as it took too long to install/dismount.

For an idea of how things go the One Lap board usually has links each year for teams doing write-ups that can help, here are my write-ups from 2005-2007:

2005: http://www.racerjon.com/onelap05/intro.html
2006: http://www.racerjon.com/onelap06/intro.html
2007: http://www.racerjon.com/onelap06/intro.html

Jon
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

We have done 3 laps, one in a subie and 2 in my vette. Taking the porsche may be a little less brutal if the passenger seat reclines. All of the advice given has been spot on.

Running with other cars does increase the comfort level and can help pass the time a bit quicker. Work out a routine for filling up you will do this between 15 and 20 times. We alternate who pays for the fuel, one pumps while the other checks the fluids oil, tranny and brake. Also does a once over to see if any tires look low and if it is dropping any fluid underneath. By Wenesday or so having a routine keeps you from killing a bunch of time when you are dead tired. Grab extra drinks and food to help you stay fresh. Drink something other than cokes as an entire week of no sleep and caffeine(sp) can bring on dehyrdration.
Put together a spares package of most probable to break and hardest to find parts that fit the space available. Pack all of the tools you can you hope to not need them but someone else might.

A Valentine One is really a nice item, yes it will cover the cost, to have along with a working cb. Driving stints I agree with Jon K above start with 2 - 3 hours and adjust based on fuel stops, traffic etc. The first day or so you will be tempted to do 5 hour stints because you feel good. Day two or three will remind you how bad an idea that is. If you get tired switch, grab some air walk around the car etc... when both of you are beat before you get there stop an hour or two outside the track and grab a hotel and finish the drive after a few hours of sleep. Bring a big comfy sweatshirt that can double as a blanket/pillow for grabbing some sleep on the poorly maintained roads of ...insert state here.

Introduce yourself the people your pitted next to and it will make the trip an even better experience.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep, Brock will put on a school and the last two years I have also approved people
That needs an edit ^^
Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Ok, Brock puts on a school and the last two years I have approved people at my SeatTime dates. (He made SeatTime an "official" school this year even)

Jon K
Old 08-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

I've met the guys from the links provided by RogueVette. They're hard core Corvette enthusiasts and are willing to help anyone out most anytime. If you're looking for a good highway stint too, they seem to be the team to shadow. I remember one of their stories about doing triple digits from Wisconsin all the way to Oklahoma in less than 10 hours.

Oh, and they're not full of themselves either.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by racerjon1
Ok, Brock puts on a school and the last two years I have approved people at my SeatTime dates. (He made SeatTime an "official" school this year even)

Jon K
Seattime is one of the school we are planning on attending with the new car.. thats the one at Robeling Road is I'm not mistaken..
Old 08-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1lapRacer
We have done 3 laps, one in a subie and 2 in my vette. Taking the porsche may be a little less brutal if the passenger seat reclines. All of the advice given has been spot on.

Running with other cars does increase the comfort level and can help pass the time a bit quicker. Work out a routine for filling up you will do this between 15 and 20 times. We alternate who pays for the fuel, one pumps while the other checks the fluids oil, tranny and brake. Also does a once over to see if any tires look low and if it is dropping any fluid underneath. By Wenesday or so having a routine keeps you from killing a bunch of time when you are dead tired. Grab extra drinks and food to help you stay fresh. Drink something other than cokes as an entire week of no sleep and caffeine(sp) can bring on dehyrdration.
Put together a spares package of most probable to break and hardest to find parts that fit the space available. Pack all of the tools you can you hope to not need them but someone else might.

A Valentine One is really a nice item, yes it will cover the cost, to have along with a working cb. Driving stints I agree with Jon K above start with 2 - 3 hours and adjust based on fuel stops, traffic etc. The first day or so you will be tempted to do 5 hour stints because you feel good. Day two or three will remind you how bad an idea that is. If you get tired switch, grab some air walk around the car etc... when both of you are beat before you get there stop an hour or two outside the track and grab a hotel and finish the drive after a few hours of sleep. Bring a big comfy sweatshirt that can double as a blanket/pillow for grabbing some sleep on the poorly maintained roads of ...insert state here.

Introduce yourself the people your pitted next to and it will make the trip an even better experience.

Roger!

If the Porsche isnt ready in time we will be driving the C4.. although I've heard the C4 to be the butter knife at a gun fight..
Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
I've met the guys from the links provided by RogueVette. They're hard core Corvette enthusiasts and are willing to help anyone out most anytime. If you're looking for a good highway stint too, they seem to be the team to shadow. I remember one of their stories about doing triple digits from Wisconsin all the way to Oklahoma in less than 10 hours.

Oh, and they're not full of themselves either.

I thought the intent was to not race between legs.. I'm up for the event either way.. do you need a little speed bump during the links between events to be competative?

BTW: looks like a V1 and a CB just got added to the mandatory requirement list.. what about scanners?

Get notified of new replies

To One Lap of America (cannonball) Advice needed

Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Seattime is one of the school we are planning on attending with the new car.. thats the one at Robeling Road is I'm not mistaken..

That's me, we should have a few daes before One Lap next year for some time, and I usually have a few One Lap guys out there so you can meet people in person.. call it freshman orientation.

Jon
Old 08-21-2007, 12:53 AM
racerjon1
Racer

I thought the intent was to not race between legs.. I'm up for the event either way.. do you need a little speed bump during the links between events to be competative?

BTW: looks like a V1 and a CB just got added to the mandatory requirement list.. what about scanners?
No, there is no requirement to race between legs. In the Evo with three drivers i did it three times never meeting a cop..

This year my other two drivers were a little more happy to drive faster, and both got tickets. the car owner's excuse is the reason people will speed, the conversation went like this:

Officer: Tell me, what is the reason you were going that fast, and with a trailer?
Co-driver: Honestly? Because the sooner we get there the more sleep we get.
Officer: (nodding) Ok..

He was given a 10-over ticket - $95 (When he crested the hill he was going a bit more than 10 over.)

Second ticket (and the reason for the V1s) Speedo indicating 84 in a 75 - we get pulled for "85 in a 75" and written a ticket.. The moral of that story is when the V1 goes off.. slow down and don't give them an excuse.

Then in Colorado i was running 74 in a 75 (making damn sure I didn't get a ticket after both my co-drivers did) and had a cop turn around and follow me for 10 miles..

Jon
(who suggests that if you are going to speed, run 10-15 over, run with majority of traffic, and make up time by minimizing stops and stop time)
Old 08-21-2007, 07:33 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

I would never insinuate that you should race between legs. I just happen to drive with a much safer comfort zone then most. 5 one laps at least half the driving myself and zero tickets. Been stopped a few times 5 if memory serves me right but never been written anything ather then that female Colorado trooper that gave me her phone number My only requirement is an 8500. It's funny the guy's who get the most tickets have V1's. Take that for what you will. A laser jammer is a damn nice thing to have especially in the midwest, where I'm fairly certain even crossing guards have one in their back pocket ready to write tickets.

A well preppped C4 can do well. No Go (here on the forum) has proven that, plus it's really the best SSGTII big bore car made.

There really is no way to plan accurately how your going to do it. For me sleep and a shower are very nice things. There are many legs in each event that without a very healthy pace you will get neither. SCCA corner worker was right. In 03 Eric and I made it from Road America to Hallet in 9 hours 54 minutes. It was just slightly over 1K miles. We stopped for gas 3 times (the Vette is amazing on fuel economy especially at speed) and sat down and ate at a subway in Rockford Illinois and sat down and ate at a Steak and Shake just outside the oaklahoma line.

I have never forgotten the roots of this event

Quick Reply: One Lap of America (cannonball) Advice needed