Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monterey Historic Corvettes, a.k.a. My Summer Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Monterey Historic Corvettes, a.k.a. My Summer Vacation

Last week I made my yearly pilgrimage up to Monterey for the Historics Weekend. There were a couple of truly historic corvettes at the event. In the Laguna Seca paddock was Grand Sport SN #003, which raced at the 1963 Nassau Speed Weeks. Disappointingly, however, the car did not participate in any of the Laguna Seca weekend races.

http://www.grandsportcorvette.com/gs/

At the Quail Gathering concours, I came across the following car identified only as a "1959 corvette Coupe". After staring dumbly at it for a few seconds, the light bulb finally turned on and I realized I was looking at at a Scaglietti Corvette, 1 of only 3 built. This car is SN #002, equipped with an automatic trans, and was owned/driven by Jim Hall

http://www.michaelmccafferty.com/mmmvette.htm

A major highlight was seeing this 1934 Alfa Romeo Tippo B (P3). This is the car in which Tazio Nuvolari defeated the more powerful, all-conquering Auto Union and Mercedes Grand Prix teams in the 1935 German Grand Prix at Nurburgring, a race many historians consider to be the greatest in Grand Prix history. The car ran in one of the Saturday races at Laguna Seca.

I also got to do a couple of test drives over the weekend.

Thru a friend, I test drove an AMG CLK 63 "Black Edition", which is the Formula 1 safety car, sans light bar. Mercedes is building 350 units for sale in Europe and the US. It was insane driving the thing on Carmel Valley Road at extra legal speeds. The only caution the Mercedes rep gave me was "If you floor it, be sure the front wheels are pointed straight!"

I also got to test drive an '07 Maserati Quattroporte. I think this would be a pretty decent DD if I had the $$$

Every auto racing enthusiast/classic car buff should go to the Monterey Historics at least once in their lifetime
Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This was my second year at Monterey, although I have been too a few historic events at Infineon. Walking through the pits is amazing and can take a full day if you really start looking at all of the cars. The next to last race on Saturday for the large Production cars was one of the best races I have seen at this type of event. The first 10 cars were really pushing it through the corners, and one Ferrari almost lost it at turn 6 when he apexed a little early.

When you are walking through the pits and looking at all of the cars, you have to keep reminding yourself that these were actual race cars with old log books, not old street cars that people have put into historic trim.

It's am amazing event that I do not plan on missing.

Larry
Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sounds like an awesome weeked
Old 08-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monterey is a great weekend for sure. I have a bunch of photos from the year Corvette was the feature car which I will post when I have time.

I am also thinking the Maser makes a nifty commuter I am thinking of an '08 although I heard that they are only atomatic which does not fit my type "A" personality.

Ever so slightly O/T does anyone know the colour code or name of the blue on #003? I am going to paint my car soon and that looks awesome in real life...

Old 08-21-2007, 05:05 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the pics, Joe. I've been a number of times but missed it this year, unfortunately. A must-do if you like vintage racing. The Concorso Italiano on Friday is Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati heaven.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for pictures glad you enjoyed it. I love seeing historic race cars on and off track.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:53 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I was in Monterey in 2002 for the Historics where Corvette was the featured marque and the Monterey Del Oro 50th Anniversary Celebration was held at the Del Monte Country Club.

That year there were over 50 historic Corvette race cars from the mid-50s to one of the 2002 LeMans C5. I was wandering around the C5R pits where the car was being prepped to make a few parade laps and one of the crewmen came up to me and asked if I would help push the car outside so they could fire it up. Had to say Yes, I would be happy to help out!!

One of the things I remember (and have on video) is the 15 or so big-block cars at speed going into Turn 3. That sound by itself is something that we may never hear again on racetracks much less see so many cars like that at one time.

The Concorso Itialiano was that same weekend along with the Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance and the rally they host where those old cars get out on the roads.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 PM
davidwp97
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

"Yearly trip"?? Boy, am I jealous!

Like several other posters, wife person and I did the 2002 event. Drove our 2001 coupe from Fort Wayne, Indiana, along with two other couples, all the way out. Did some Rt 66 and other tourist stuff. When we got there, I wiped off the bugs and showed the car in the Corvette Corral (Corvettini??) at the Concourso Italiano:

Saw all the other events - what a fantastic trip. I agree with the folks above, do this at least once in your lifetime!!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:24 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Joe, Great pictures. Thanks for posting. I believe the Grand Sport belongs to Larry Bowman. He races a Cobra in the class I race in.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:07 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe, great pics also, wish I'd take the time since I'm fairly close but it
does get crowded. David, great pic! One of these years ... again!
Remember some from 2002, one of my early posts was about seeing
the ZL-1, C3 as I remember and got a response about not knowing
Corvettes ...
Randy

Last edited by StArrow68; 08-22-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

A forum member in San Diego bought this car to do some vintage racing on the left coast this year. Did you happen to run across it or get any pics?
Thanks David
Old 08-22-2007, 02:55 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Joe, Great pictures. Thanks for posting. I believe the Grand Sport belongs to Larry Bowman. He races a Cobra in the class I race in.
Garrett

I think you are correct, I remember seeing the name Bowman on the side of the hauler. He drove a '58 Lister-Chevy in the Group 5A race, and a '61 Ferrari 250 SWB in Group 4B.

btw, you wouldn't remember, but I met you in the paddock back in '05 when you attended with your Z06
Old 08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
A forum member in San Diego bought this car to do some vintage racing on the left coast this year. Did you happen to run across it or get any pics?
Thanks David
David,

I have no pics of them, but I remember at least 2 C3's in the IMSA GT race. One of them looked similar to your pic, but had no headlights and had "New Mexico 75" painted across the front. In the program it was listed as:

'77 Greenwood, chassis #20008-77, driven by Tom Armstrong

The other was a red C3, number #75, listed in the program as:

'74 corvette, chassis 2, driven by David Andrews

Like last year, the IMSA GT race came down to a battle between 2 Porsche 935's and 2 Dekon Monza's. This year a Monza prevailed, driven by Phil Gallant.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Joe, and yes, I do remember.
I look forward to seeing you at another Monteray or other vintage race in the future.

Garrett
Old 08-23-2007, 05:55 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
Thanks David
I saw this car at the Historics, and I got a couple photos of it. Send me your email address, and I'll send you the photos.

Bob
Old 08-23-2007, 08:43 AM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

@ bobmoore2: if you can could you post the pics here?

i would love to see them !

PS: if you can't host them, email them to me and i'll host them
Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 PM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

here is my email : more_ghz_project@yahoo.com
Old 08-25-2007, 08:40 AM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

the pics where great !

thanks man
Old 08-27-2007, 09:12 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

The first car was the greenwood "Spirit of New Mexico", the second car # 75 is the one in my picture now driven by David Andrews. My email drhodes16@neo.rr.com

Get notified of new replies

To Monterey Historic Corvettes, a.k.a. My Summer Vacation

Quick Reply: Monterey Historic Corvettes, a.k.a. My Summer Vacation