Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What do you think of this?

What will be the impact of a mid-engine Corvette on the amateur roadracing demographic? Will Corvette be able to just "jump in" and be competetive or will there be a long learning curve of development before it gets there? Just some thoughts.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1792438
Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
What will be the impact of a mid-engine Corvette on the amateur roadracing demographic? Will Corvette be able to just "jump in" and be competetive or will there be a long learning curve of development before it gets there? Just some thoughts.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1792438
Awesome news! It will not affect this amateur road racer for twenty years though till they come down to my price range.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Secondly, it allows GM and Corvette Racing to do something that is long, long overdue, and that is to become the second American automobile manufacturer to go for the overall victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans - something that hasn't been achieved since the glory days of Ford's four-year winning onslaught in the 60s - some 40 years ago.

As you read this, GM's senior brain trust is contemplating every facet of this mid-engined scenario down to the last detail for the seventh-generation Corvette. The facts of the matter are hard to deny: The technical issues are on the way to being solved, the classic Corvette high-performance value proposition would remain intact, and GM's drive to establish itself as a global technological leader would be enhanced and embellished, especially with a mid-engined Corvette Racing prototype going for the overall victory at Le Mans.
Prototypes. LPM1 prototypes to up against the Audi and Pugs. YES. and considering the new ACO rules for LPM1 cars are to be coupes that resemble road going cars by 2010

and a wild guess here that the world would see a Corvette LMP1 prototype racing long before the release of a mid engine C7 consumer car.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-22-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

For those of you who get "Racecar Engineering" Aug 07, Vol 17 No 08 Page 4 lower right hand corner photo.

I am sure it is a photo chop but I like it.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:38 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've always thought that one of the things that makes the Corvette so easy to drive at high speed was having the engine in the front. Personally I think going rear engine is a mistake. Sure it's cool, but I always thought what made the Corvette special was a front engine car that can keep up and pass the exotic rear engine cars. I guess I will just have to stick with my "old school" vettes.

I'm excited to see Corvette take on the rest of the LMP1 competitiors but overall I'm not thrilled with the idea.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Joel,
big difference between mid and rear engine cars. It took Porsche 20 years or more to engineer out the evils of rear engine handling cars.

Mid engine is a totally different story. And you basically have 2 versions of a mid engine car...the typical in front of the rear axle giving a 49/51% weight balance.

and the not thought of as mid engine cars...those with the engine behind the front axle with a 51/49% balance. Those cars would be C5 & C6 Corvettes.
C5/6's are some of the best handling production cars around.

I don't know why GM would want to build a typical mid engined car (they've been there done that) Unless Tom's story line plays out...which makes a lot of sense considering GM has driven all the competition away in GT1.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Would it look like this?

a new replica

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1773605

EDIT
Makes sense if it shares the same hardware as this

Last edited by BrianCunningham; 08-22-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:43 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes sense if it shares the same hardware as this
IMO, this concept car has a lot of the styling characteristics of a Corvette, even though it's wearing a Cadillac badge on the nose. Notice the scoops/gills on the side, the bulging front fenders, the raised center down the hood, the large high tail, the openings in the lower part of the nose, the shape of the B pillars, etc. People say that the greatest thing about the Corvette over the decades (from a marketing perspective, at least), is that you could always identify the new models as a Corvette the very first time you saw it. To me, this concept looks like a Corvette.

Is it possible that this concept car is actually an attempt to guage public opinion of the rear-engine Corvette body style, without letting anyone know that GM is considering a rear-engine Corvette?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would love to see a mid engine vette. Put a Vette logo on that concept car and I am first in line at the stealership to purchase one!

Get notified of new replies

To What do you think of this?

Quick Reply: What do you think of this?