Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 AM
southernshark
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I buy this car?

I was at the dyno the other day and the guy who runs it told me that the corvette in the corner of his shop is a 99 C5R. There is no VIN on the car and it is on a corvette frame. Engine blew up and started small fire but no real damage only damage is to the cowl and then just dirty from the soot, there is no lexan on the car. I was told the car was built for an enduro team back in 99 and was raced. I was told the price is 50k. What do you guys think, I have an 02 Z06 and I want to get into competitive racing and do not want to hack my car up figured I could sell mine and buy this, but the price seems high for a rolling chassis.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:15 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pictures??? What class was it built for? Who built it? The title C5R is the most over used sales pitch in the world. I have seen C4R C5R and of course C6R when descirbing a Corvette racecar which is funny.

Randy
Old 08-24-2007, 11:57 AM
southernshark
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Pictures??? What class was it built for? Who built it? The title C5R is the most over used sales pitch in the world. I have seen C4R C5R and of course C6R when descirbing a Corvette racecar which is funny.

Randy

-I could get pictures of the vehicle but i am in the "what do you" think phase.
-It was built for enduro? but is being raced in T1 in the SCCA
-Dunno who built it i was told it was GM and point of origin is 0007? again don't know really, I was told it was driven by Nonnamaker.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

It is prob one of the 20 GM factory built/supplied C5R kits for various racing series back when the C5 first came out. Some were used in SCCA WC and some were used for Grand Am Comp. You could prob find one cheaper and in perfect running order for less than that.

A friend just sold his Factory C5R that he ran in WC a couple of time, and spend a ton of money on, for about 40k. And that had a carbon body.

I could be wrong but pictures would help.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 PM
southernshark
Racer

the body panels are just like regualr vettes and the top is one pice and mounted to the roll bar. I can get pic possibly but it might take a little bit.

what is a fair price for a well used T1 race car minus engine. the frnt frame rails has kinks in them and look like they have been pulled stright but a little ruff. If i need to shut up and get pics let me know :o
Old 08-24-2007, 12:31 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not spend $30-35k on a T1 prepped Corvette? Cheaper and a known quantity.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
southernshark
Racer

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Why not spend $30-35k on a T1 prepped Corvette? Cheaper and a known quantity.
that is what I am trying to get at. I am not sure if i should just hit mine over the head or buy one. I thought it would be nice to sell mine and pick a prepped one up but it might be easier to make mine race ready
Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Call up the Phoenix guys. Or talk to Chris Ingle. Or pick up a copy of Sportscar. There's a bunch of the T1 cars available from what I've seen recently... and it'll certainly be cheaper than building yours up.

I've had a partially finished racecar in my garage for many years now... wish I'd just bought one long ago... instead I'm tracking my C6 street car... go figure.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Most used T1 cars running and in race ready trim seem to go for between $25k and $40k used. The price variance seems to stem largely from how fresh the car is, how many spares it comes with and it's winning lineage.

That has been my experience.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

T1 cars in decent shape can be found all day for $30-35k, and this one is older than most with a blown engine from what i read here. I'd offer $18-20k max.

I don't think the C5R ever raced T1.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver

I don't think the C5R ever raced T1.

Racing a C5R in T1 would be like bringing an assault rifle to a knife fight. Aside from not complying with the T1 rules, the C5R would blow everyone else away.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:34 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

THIS is a real C5R. The transmission (not transaxle) is in front. Note other differences. It has never been raced. You need a cheap T1 car. There is no venue for racing a C5R except for ALMS.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 08-24-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:46 PM
southernshark
Racer

I tried to google phoenix race cars and the site looks like kit indy cars. i did not see any thing on corvettes but i just read a post on the Pocono wreck and the c5 was a phoenix race car. what is the site?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Call up the Phoenix guys. Or talk to Chris Ingle. Or pick up a copy of Sportscar. There's a bunch of the T1 cars available from what I've seen recently... and it'll certainly be cheaper than building yours up.
DO NOT try to build yours into a T1 car, or try to comprehend all the stuff in a C5R. You'll drive yourself nuts. I'm selling my T1 car. It's a great way to get into racing. I doubt seriously if you'll find a better car out there for the price.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=wtknght1
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Originally Posted by southernshark
I tried to google phoenix race cars and the site looks like kit indy cars. i did not see any thing on corvettes but i just read a post on the Pocono wreck and the c5 was a phoenix race car. what is the site?

http://phoenixperformance.net/
Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Racing a C5R in T1 would be like bringing an assault rifle to a knife fight. Aside from not complying with the T1 rules, the C5R would blow everyone else away.

You guys are not talking about the same car, the C5R that we all think about races in ALMS and is a purpose built car by PM, the "C5R" that is being discussed here is/was a stock body rolling chassis that GM only made a limited number of for private racers. BTW the Nonnamakers (sp) are a pretty good team in Grand Am.

IMO you would be better off buying a built T1 car and selling you Z. It is ALWAYS cheaper to buy than build.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:27 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Joe Aquilante a call at Phoenix Performance 610-482-0141. He may not be there but will call you back. Tell him what you are looking for. He has at least one T-1 car available right now, ready to run and will give you a decent deal.

Forget converting your car into a track car. You will run into a lot of problems and will end up spending a lot more money than buying a ready-to-run car.

The C5R cannot be run in SCCA T-1. T-1 cars must be showroom cars with just a few modifications allowed. You can go to www.scca.com and look up the T-1 regulations.

Welcome to the madness...

Get notified of new replies

To Should I buy this car?

Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

-I could get pictures of the vehicle but i am in the "what do you" think phase.
-It was built for enduro? but is being raced in T1 in the SCCA
-Dunno who built it i was told it was GM and point of origin is 0007? again don't know really, I was told it was driven by Nonnamaker.
Nonnamaker's run GrandAm/Rolex. If the car was being run in SCCA must have been T1 World Challenge, not T1 Club Racing. Got to have a VIN for T1 Club Racing. You might get away with ITE at regional races.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:01 PM
southernshark
Racer

I called out to Phoenix and no answer so i will call back. Is there any other people that offer the same type service, so i can shop around
Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I called out to Phoenix and no answer so i will call back. Is there any other people that offer the same type service, so i can shop around
I'd bet money that they are at Carlisle this weekend. Probably won't be able to reach them until Monday, but just guessing on that.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this car?