Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Track Guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porsche Track Guys

Just got home from a track event at Summit Point Main sponsored by the RTR region Porsche club. I was a little apprehensive, thinking I was going to get a lot of "gold chain", "go fast in the straight", and "nice Chevrolet" comments. Just the opposite.

First of all, these guys can drive. Over the 2 day event we did not have a single car off track (first time this has happened in my limited, but still 14 event) experience. Secondly, a bunch of the P Guys came up and commented on how much they admired the C6 Z06. Thirdly, these guys know how to point bye. Essentially all of the point byes I received allowed me to continue w/o losing any momentum.

We hear (give) so much other negative stuff I thought I would pass this on-nice to see at certain levels we are all car guys (& women) who like to drive fast.

Geoff
Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Glad you had a good experience....I too have had some fun time with PCA. HOWEVER, the PCA race groups can be a different matter. 2 years ago at Rd Atlanta, every session out in the fastest group was red flagged within 2 laps. It was unbelievable the cars that were destroyed that weekend.

Glad the HPDE guys still are keeping it together.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience has been that the PCA groups have been the most structured, strictest, and most educational.

I have done a lot of track events over the years... I feel like I"m actually "learning" with PCA... I don't get that anywhere else...

Mike
Old 08-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mikelly
My experience has been that the PCA groups have been the most structured, strictest, and most educational.
I have recently been to a PCA event at Road Atlanta and concur with this comment. Passing only in the straights with point-bys (even for advanced and instructors). They even set up cones to delimit where the passing zone ends -- usually well before the braking zone. Infractions were dealt with immediately. I felt safe but the run groups also felt pretty slow. Point-bys were pretty free flowing for the most part.

I'd do it again...
Old 08-25-2007, 11:32 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA is like a lot of organizations - it is regional. I really like the Carolina PCA...I have run with others that were not as fun...

But overall they are a good group

"delimit" or "delineate" "220" or 221 whatever it takes" ....
Old 08-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by varkwso
PCA is like a lot of organizations - it is regional. I really like the Carolina PCA...I have run with others that were not as fun...

But overall they are a good group

"delimit" or "delineate" "220" or 221 whatever it takes" ....
Hmm....I think you're trying to take a shot at me According to dictionary.COM:

de·lim·it - to fix or mark the limits or boundaries of; demarcate

Good try Jeffy...
Old 08-26-2007, 05:28 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Hmm....I think you're trying to take a shot at me According to dictionary.COM:

de·lim·it - to fix or mark the limits or boundaries of; demarcate

Good try Jeffy...
What, me bust your chops? When have you known me to do that? But maybe this time I hit delimit.

Carolinas - PCA first weekend in Nov at CMP - anybody considering that one?
Old 08-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

What, me bust your chops? When have you known me to do that? But maybe this time I hit delimit.

Carolinas - PCA first weekend in Nov at CMP - anybody considering that one?

Jeff, that's primarily for Porsches since it is tied into a PCA race they're having that weekend, so that's not the best. They're having their regular DE weekend on 10/6-7, at CMP.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:26 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Falcon
Jeff, that's primarily for Porsches since it is tied into a PCA race they're having that weekend, so that's not the best. They're having their regular DE weekend on 10/6-7, at CMP.

Dang - I guess I need to vet my info sources better. I doubt I make 10-6/7 since I have three days at Roebling the weekend before....
Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

I doubt I make 10-6/7 since I have three days at Roebling the weekend before....
Roebling, then CMP, then Barber the following weekend -- CAKE That never slowed you down before. ...and that is detruth.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Roebling, then CMP, then Barber the following weekend -- CAKE That never slowed you down before. ...and that is detruth.
Jake is not at home anymore to do all the work. The discussion about my "single minded obsession" also came up - geez - it used to be women.

Anybody done PCA autoX's? My PCA chapter only does them instead of track days it seems...
Old 08-26-2007, 11:40 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Glad you had a good experience....I too have had some fun time with PCA. HOWEVER, the PCA race groups can be a different matter. 2 years ago at Rd Atlanta, every session out in the fastest group was red flagged within 2 laps. It was unbelievable the cars that were destroyed that weekend.

Glad the HPDE guys still are keeping it together.
Regions are different in their treatment of participants. It also depends on the track. Road Atlanta and Road America are examples of where carnage has often occurred during PCA events.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Just completed my first DE in my Z at VIR with the PCA. They were pretty strict about all the rules and they really kept a tight watch on everything. I was a little anxious about my first trip to VIR after watching the vids, but there were zero incidents and a lot of track time, plus a lot of fast Porsches. Would go with them again if invited.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:15 PM
danswofford
Pro

I haven't driven with PCA but have driven with plenty of P cars at various track days and my impression is that they drive their cars hard and well. My best laps have been just ahead or just behind GT3 P-cars; what a nice capable car.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche Track Guys

Quick Reply: Porsche Track Guys