Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catalytic converter blow out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:37 PM
anotherone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default catalytic converter blow out?

Recently did sebring and flogged the begeevers out of my stock 06 c6 coupe. It was 97 air temp and all was ok until turn 16 when the car shut down. I restarted it and limped back in to pit and let it cool down although I had no dic warnings. Tried it again a little later and it happened again with check eng light coming on.
Making a long story shorter the dealer said I blew out both my catalytic converters. Has anyone experienced this before and is it preventable? I searched and couldnt find squat on the forum!!!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:15 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by anotherone
Recently did sebring and flogged the begeevers out of my stock 06 c6 coupe. It was 97 air temp and all was ok until turn 16 when the car shut down. I restarted it and limped back in to pit and let it cool down although I had no dic warnings. Tried it again a little later and it happened again with check eng light coming on.
Making a long story shorter the dealer said I blew out both my catalytic converters. Has anyone experienced this before and is it preventable? I searched and couldnt find squat on the forum!!!!!
You should have gotten a flashing engine light if you were blowing the cats. If the cats were blown out, it should be covered under the mandated warranty on the emissions in your car.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:29 PM
anotherone
Pro

dealer didnt balk at all ; they are super and treat me like the owner of the place. I had no warnings at all until it shut down ; of course I was really concentrating on the line. It just seems weird.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:13 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by anotherone
dealer didnt balk at all ; they are super and treat me like the owner of the place. I had no warnings at all until it shut down ; of course I was really concentrating on the line. It just seems weird.
My engine light kept flashing indicating that the cats were not working properly (being contaminated). It turned out that nbr 7 cylinder blew from detonation (bad injector) and the excessive unburned fuel blew out my cats. My dealer bend over backwards to get it covered under warranty.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
anotherone
Pro

thanks for that info; will know more when the parts are in mon or tues. I will post the final repair info.

Get notified of new replies

To catalytic converter blow out?

Quick Reply: catalytic converter blow out?