Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing with an A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:29 AM
jeff49
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Autocrossing with an A4

Can any tell me how to autocross with an A4 how to start and What gear to drive the car in?And do i turn off traction control.Thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 01:50 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Most auto-x courses are below 70 MPH. So I would keep it in whatever gear most likely goes up to that. Likely 2nd. Can't give you much advice on an auto other then that.

Yes, turn off traction control!

Some other preparation tips for auto-x:
http://www.bauerracing.net/Prepare/Autocross.htm

Most of all, go have fun!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff49
Can any tell me how to autocross with an A4 how to start and What gear to drive the car in?And do i turn off traction control.Thanks
I think leaving it in 2nd would definately be ideal especially if your HP and gearing get you off the line quickely. I have 474 RWTQ and 3.42 gears so I could get going quickly and up to 84mph with no gear changing.

PS....Never did an autocross...........

DH
Old 08-26-2007, 09:08 AM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just lock it in 2nd, it will switch between 1st and 2nd for you anyway. If you leave it in drive, you'll have to wait for it to downshift when you get back on the power and will lose alot of time because of that.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

It might be an automatic, but it isn't smart enough to just leave it in 2nd. I understand that you may be a noobie, but this is the right way to do it:

Leave the line in first, and command the first to second shift by moving the lever and at the same time giving a little bit of a lift. Even if you do that as a short shift it is better than letting car decide where to shift.

That way your upshift will occur where and when YOU expect it. If you just leave it in second it can and will upshift when you hit the shift point, and (assuming your foot is on the floor) that can be a hard upsift. If you are not pointed straight ahead (like where on a typical autocross course you are going straight for long at all?), you can (and often will) get sideways when it shifts.

Most of the time it won't downshift back into first unless you are coming off a really slow corner. If it does downshift to first, pull the lever back and then command the 1-2 shift as above.

If you are entering a really slow corner (like a single pylon 180), you know that the car is going to want to downshift when you hammer it on corner exit. In that case pull the 2-1 downshift as you get close to the apex and slowest point in the corner (and expect it to jerk the car if you do it too soon). That way you can power out of the corner and you won't have a downshift that upsets the car as you are feeding in power.

If you just leave it in second, when you are still in first and you go down a short chute to a slow corner, in a case where you really want to keep it in first, it will also upshift when you are entering the corner (because you lifted on corner entry). It messes you up because you get almost no engine braking in second where you were expecting to maybe have some. Then you are stuck in second with no punch coming off the corner, Since the speed may be too great to get a downshift....

You are smarter than the car, can see the course ahead and should have a good idea of what is coming. Tell the car what you want.

While you may be a novice, and don't really understand it yet, this is really the best way to do it. Better to learn the right way from the start, or at least understand the why and wherefore so that as you improve you won't cultivate bad habits.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Solofast
It might be an automatic, but it isn't smart enough to just leave it in 2nd. I understand that you may be a noobie, but this is the right way to do it:

Leave the line in first, and command the first to second shift by moving the lever and at the same time giving a little bit of a lift. Even if you do that as a short shift it is better than letting car decide where to shift.

That way your upshift will occur where and when YOU expect it. If you just leave it in second it can and will upshift when you hit the shift point, and (assuming your foot is on the floor) that can be a hard upsift. If you are not pointed straight ahead (like where on a typical autocross course you are going straight for long at all?), you can (and often will) get sideways when it shifts.

Most of the time it won't downshift back into first unless you are coming off a really slow corner. If it does downshift to first, pull the lever back and then command the 1-2 shift as above.

If you are entering a really slow corner (like a single pylon 180), you know that the car is going to want to downshift when you hammer it on corner exit. In that case pull the 2-1 downshift as you get close to the apex and slowest point in the corner (and expect it to jerk the car if you do it too soon). That way you can power out of the corner and you won't have a downshift that upsets the car as you are feeding in power.

If you just leave it in second, when you are still in first and you go down a short chute to a slow corner, in a case where you really want to keep it in first, it will also upshift when you are entering the corner (because you lifted on corner entry). It messes you up because you get almost no engine braking in second where you were expecting to maybe have some. Then you are stuck in second with no punch coming off the corner, Since the speed may be too great to get a downshift....

You are smarter than the car, can see the course ahead and should have a good idea of what is coming. Tell the car what you want.

While you may be a novice, and don't really understand it yet, this is really the best way to do it. Better to learn the right way from the start, or at least understand the why and wherefore so that as you improve you won't cultivate bad habits.
I totally agree with manually shifting an A4 ..... thats what I do on open track racing.

But if you put the tranny in 2nd gear ...... thats where it will stay....it will NOT shift down to 1st. And it will not upshift to 3rd it will hit RPM limit and fuel will be cut off.

DH
Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Boo383
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A4

I have auto crossed a few times and I just put mine in 2nd. It has worked great for me. and it will downshift to first with the shifter in 2nd. it just won't upshift to 3rd. I recommend running the course in comp. mode or with AH and TC both off. I know alot of people with 6 speed cars that stay in 2nd after the launch. I'm no expert. I have only ran about a dozen auto crosses.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 AM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

I leave mine in 2nd all the time.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Boo383
... and it will downshift to first with the shifter in 2nd. it just won't upshift to 3rd.
If you come off of a really slow corner and put your foot in it hard it will dowshift to first. It just has to be going pretty slow for that to happen.

If you roll on the power and don't really hit it, by the time you get fully into the power you will be above the speed where it will command the downshift. If the course is not too slow it won't downshift, and on most courses that is what happens.

Belive me when I say that if you get a 2-1 downshift when you are not expecting it that it can ruin a run. Better to do it yourself on slow corners so you don't get surprised. Besides, the acceleration coming off of a slow corner in first will pin you in the seat and can be a real time gainer, besides being a lot more fun...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I don't know if you guys have a problem with your A4's or if its just me.

But when mine is in 2nd it stays in second .... even WOT from a stop...NO DOWNSHIFTING to 1st !!!!!!

And I know I'm not the only one

DH
Old 08-29-2007, 10:06 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I AX'd a C4 with A4 trans for 3 years and I did exactly as Solofast describes. I was also very competitive with it and had a number of people thinking I had a manual trans. I'll also add that if you know how to left foot brake then take advantage of it. That way your right foot never moves away from the gas pedal. 2 feet, 2 pedals, perfect match! If you don't know how to LFB then learn after you get the hang of doing AX. It helps and shaves some time off your run.

Now I had read somewhere that on either certain year C5s or all C5s that there was a "2nd gear lockout". Using that stopped the trans from downshifting to 1st. Even after braking and entering a turnaround. If that is a myth then manually shifting the car is the only way to fly. If it is true then the car has enough torque where I would just leave it in 2nd. As you get better though you will want to shift it for specific reasons and situations Solofast mentioned.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:35 PM
jeff49
Racer

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I AX'd a C4 with A4 trans for 3 years and I did exactly as Solofast describes. I was also very competitive with it and had a number of people thinking I had a manual trans. I'll also add that if you know how to left foot brake then take advantage of it. That way your right foot never moves away from the gas pedal. 2 feet, 2 pedals, perfect match! If you don't know how to LFB then learn after you get the hang of doing AX. It helps and shaves some time off your run.

Now I had read somewhere that on either certain year C5s or all C5s that there was a "2nd gear lockout". Using that stopped the trans from downshifting to 1st. Even after braking and entering a turnaround. If that is a myth then manually shifting the car is the only way to fly. If it is true then the car has enough torque where I would just leave it in 2nd. As you get better though you will want to shift it for specific reasons and situations Solofast mentioned.
That sounds good to me thanks for all the input.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 AM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Okay I am going to try and shift this weekend and see what happens. Since I am stuck with a auto would I be better off putting a shift kit in it?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Well if you're running in stock class then it is an illegal mod doing a shift kit. I ran my C4 with the stock 700R4 trans and no mods. Here is the catch with the shift kit. You are not drag racing. You need to shift not as much based on RPMs but more as the course dictates.

Example. You have a start gate, then a tight offset, then a short straight, then a sweeping turn. You want the shift to happen in that short straight. You have to time it and get the torque converter to make the shift happen at your desired point. So there is some delay from when you move the shifter from 1 to 2. You need to know that delay in time. So you launch and hold 1st, just as soon as you are finishing that first tight offset you want to shift to 2 so that it catches as the car is pointing straight for the short straight. Now as you hit the sweeping turn the car is settled from the shift into 2nd and you won't upset it during the sweeper. Auto or manual you want the wheels pointed straight as the clutch or torque converter kicks in the next gear. Catching the next gear going into or coming out of a turn is unsettling.

Same with a turnaround (pivot cone, 180, whatever you call it). Downshift on entry and let the torque converter knock the gear down before turning. Then do the rest of your braking, turn, shift for 2 as the car starts to point straight and accelerate. The shift causes no drama.

Shift as little as possible. Every shift costs you time.

The big rub against an auto trans for AX purpose. The torque converter bump and you not being in control of it. Whereas with a manual you know exactly when the clutch grabs and the gear engages. So in an auto your job is to sense and know when that torque converter is going to actually make the shift. It's all about feel. I got it to the point where most people thought I was driving a manual.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I don't know if you guys have a problem with your A4's or if its just me.

But when mine is in 2nd it stays in second .... even WOT from a stop...NO DOWNSHIFTING to 1st !!!!!!

And I know I'm not the only one

DH
Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
Thank You !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH
Old 09-03-2007, 01:53 AM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

You guys where right about shifting a auto.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing with an A4

Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 AM
carnut101
Burning Brakes

isnt this a guaranteed way to fry the transmission bands? or is the corvette A4 electronically controlled?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KCHOTBOAT
You guys where right about shifting a auto.
Which guys ..............

DH
Old 03-22-2008, 02:11 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Solofast

As previously stated above, leaving the car in 2nd will NOT allow it to shift back to first. Only 3rd and OD will allow the tranny to shift on it's own.

That being said, start in 1st and shift to 2nd when you are ready. Then you can usually leave it in 2nd.

DO NOT leave the car in 3rd or OD as Solofast is correct about the loss of control that can occur when your car is turning as the tranny shifts. Trust me, I have experienced this issue.....

Quick Reply: Autocrossing with an A4